Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,371 of 23,494
Thanks for the feedback, guess I will bite the bullet and save for the good telefunken tubes. Please have a great day mate.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,372 of 23,494
You lucky devil, please enjoy with pleasure.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,373 of 23,494
I wanted to report back on my experience with the Telefunken E88CC platinum grade tubes I mentioned ordering a while back from Upscale Audio. I had a delay because I had to send my Lyr back to Schiit for a HV transformer replacement. The tragedy that was having the Tele's sitting on my desk with no amp to plug into!

Anyway, here's a short first impression. I still only have a limited audio vocabulary to describe what I'm hearing, so hopefully what I have to say makes sense and others might find it helpful.

MacBook Pro 2013 --> USB --> Gungnir --> Lyr --> AKG K712s

Over a couple early listening sessions (about 6 hours total) with a pair of AKG K712s, my initial impression is that the Telefunkens seem to do a great job giving some additional depth to the K712s. I appreciate the airy sound of these headphones, so now with the Teles I quite enjoy the airiness plus extra depth I'm hearing. Time will tell how this continues to develop as the tubes have more hours on them. I'm not much of a low-end person, but I do want to feel my music has a balanced and crisp low-end relative to the higher frequencies. In this regard, the Teles don't quite hit the level of the Voskhod tubes (at least not yet). However, knowing this difference is good to consider depending on my listening preferences in the moment.

At this early point, I have yet to do any serious listening with the Teles and my HD650s as my K712s get more time with the Lyr than do the HD650s.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,375 of 23,494
Indeed :)

I'm very curious to compare them to my '69 Siemens CCas, which are easily my top tubes.  I'll give the Teles 50 hours or so before doing the swap.  And yes, same boat for my Sabre U2.  It comes in handy for my wife's and my laptops on occasion, my Stack o' Schiit being confined to The Laboratory and a dedicated desktop PC.
I thought you had Siemens E88CCs, did you buy a pair of CCa's?

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,376 of 23,494
I thought you had Siemens E88CCs, did you buy a pair of CCa's?

Didn't want to assume you were addressing me.  No, always only had the CCas.  I do have some 1965 RTC (Heerlen) E188CCs.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,378 of 23,494
Sorry, I think you had mentioned Tesla E88CC. Could you post a pic of your CCa's, I'd like see what the '69s look like. I may want to pick up a nice to add to my review.

Sure, I'll try to take some detailed photos tonight (after the US v. Portugal game), but might be tomorrow.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,381 of 23,494
Sorry, I think you had mentioned Tesla E88CC. Could you post a pic of your CCa's, I'd like see what the '69s look like. I may want to pick up a nice to add to my review.

Yep, Tesla E88CCs.  I was tempted by a Czech eBay seller who has some '60s Tesla E88CCs with gold grids, as well as pins, but being half the price of the Teles, and having a nice pair already, I opted for the better (damn well better be better!) tubes 
biggrin.gif

Per your request, here are the photos I saved from the eBay listing of the CCas I purchased:

You can also use this post as a reference to different Siemens CCas.  There is a photo for each of the five variants.  I found it very helpful.  Mine are #3 in the description at the bottom of said post:

"3. O-shaped getter at 90-degree relative to vertical indented getter support rod with top mica (most commonly desired tube with airy sound) "

Good luck finding #s 1 or 2!  Try Mephistopheles Vintage Vacuum Tube Shoppe 
evil_smiley.gif

I feel like such a commoner buying those #3s!
wink.gif
  I suppose serious aficionados would quibble over the various years in which #3 were produced.  Me, I was just happy to find them at an acceptable price.  Though they weren't inexpensive, they were slightly less than the Teles I just bought, and about half the price Kevin at Upscale expects to sell said Teles when he's running low.

If you want some specific angle of my CCas not shown in the above photos, just let me know in detail what you want, and I'll try snap 'em.

beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #2,382 of 23,494
I just bought a used lyr that comes with stock tubes and amperex orange globes. Are these tubes relatively good? I got the deal for $300 and very excited.

I am using the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs and may be looking for tubes in the future and not sure what to get or even what is compatible with the original lyr.

When you buy from upscale audio do I have to buy in quantitys of 2? I looked somewhat interested in the telefunken for $109 or ($129 with platinum) but for $258 for 2 seems too much for me.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,383 of 23,494
  I just bought a used lyr that comes with stock tubes and amperex orange globes. Are these tubes relatively good? I got the deal for $300 and very excited.

I am using the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs and may be looking for tubes in the future and not sure what to get or even what is compatible with the original lyr.

When you buy from upscale audio do I have to buy in quantitys of 2? I looked somewhat interested in the telefunken for $109 or ($129 with platinum) but for $258 for 2 seems too much for me.

A lot of people like the Orange Globes, and I think it's safe to say they're an upgrade to the stock tubes.  The stock tubes aren't that bad, if you give them a good 100 hours or more break-in period.  I never bothered with them at first, then decided to try them.  Not so good at first, but around the 100-hour mark, they sounded significantly better, with some really nice low end.

re: Upscale, yes, you need to order a quantity of 2 to get a pair.  Not all tube devices require pair, so he needs to sell singles, too.

re: Teles and other premium tubes, you'll find you have to pay for that level.  Try to beat that price for those tubes on eBay, and you'll end up wasting a lot of time.  If you want to jump up a level in tubes, you might pick up some Voskhod Rockets from @rb2013 in this thread, or search eBay for 6922/E88CC (same tubes, American/European designations, respectively).  You can find some good deals out there.  Tesla E88CCs can be had at reasonable prices.  Try to get them, or anything else, from the 1960s, if you can.  The Russian tubes are probably the exception, with the best (and most plentiful) being from the 1970s.  There's a lot of info on them in this thread.

If you have questions about specific tubes or deals, people herein are generally quite helpful.

HTH, have fun, and good luck!

beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,384 of 23,494
Yep, Tesla E88CCs.  I was tempted by a Czech eBay seller who has some '60s Tesla E88CCs with gold grids, as well as pins, but being half the price of the Teles, and having a nice pair already, I opted for the better (damn well better be better!) tubes :D

Per your request, here are the photos I saved from the eBay listing of the CCas I purchased

You can also use this post as a reference to different Siemens CCas.  There is a photo for each of the five variants.  I found it very helpful.  Mine are #3 in the description at the bottom of said post:

If you want some specific angle of my CCas not shown in the above photos, just let me know in detail what you want, and I'll try snap 'em.

:beerchug:
Thanks! Good reference photos. I'm looking for the pre '65 gray shield version with d getters. They are a fortune!

Good luck with the Tellies they're awesome tubes.

:D

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,385 of 23,494
Just did a digital cable roll. One cable stood out above the rest, and was the cheapest. It way out performed even the $1200 Synergistic Research D2. It's the Audio Sensibility Statement 1.5m rca spdif. $219 direct. This cable made a nice improvement in the detail and bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back