Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,417 of 23,494
I have a Lyr1. I have packed it up to sell it. But initial difference I find is that the Lyr2 has a lower noise floor. So more enjoyable. SQ wise, there is small bit of improvement.
The Lyr2 has a gain switch, which will help reduce noise on very low impedence hps like the 702s.

Speaking of, has anyone tried the Thinksound On1s with the Lyr/Lyr2? I'm reading some really good things about these low cost hps (they can be had on Amazon for around $200). With some cable swapping a really nice closed back hp. But also low impedence - 50 ohms. If I get them, I may trade up to a Lyr2.

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/thinksound-on1

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,420 of 23,494
I have the AKG K712 Pros and use them with a Lyr. The Voskhod Rockets made all the difference to giving them a bit more depth and bass response.

I second this for both the Lyr and Lyr 2. I have used my VRs for about 6 months and find the combination extremely satisfying. A bit more exciting and extended than my Lorenz 6922's which are also excellent but very hard to find. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #2,421 of 23,494
Are these the right tubes?

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6h23-6922-rocket-logo/

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,422 of 23,494

Yes, but don't buy those from Upscale for your Lyr.  Read the description carefully:

"If you have a preamp or phonostage, this tube will not be suitable for use in those circuits."

From Upscale, for any tubes for your Lyr, you want minimum of Gold grade, if not Platinum.  @rb2013 in this thread can recommend, and may still have, reasonable Voskhod Rockets for you.

HTH.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,423 of 23,494
Ahhh, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that :) I'm still a pretty big newbie when it comes to this stuff

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,424 of 23,494

I would suggest if you want VRa that you look for matched pairs of 6N23P's from the 1970s.  I got an excellent pair from rb90002009 on eBay.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,425 of 23,494
Thanks for that! I just picked up a pair of 1975's from him for about 60 bucks shipped :)

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #2,426 of 23,494
How much does a good tube tester go for these days. If I am going to start rolling tubes, I should test and verify different tubes. Make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2,429 of 23,494
How much does a good tube tester go for these days. If I am going to start rolling tubes, I should test and verify different tubes. Make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

When I started using tube-based audio components, I felt as you, especially as I have an electronics background. However, after performing research on the types of checks required and the fact that I also wanted to be able to match tubes, especially triodes, it turns out this is more difficult than simply using a tester. I initially thought that having a mutual conductance tester which not only checks emissions and leakage but transconductance as well would do it. Those, such as vintage Hickok's, are available in the $300-$500 price range. Unfortunately, tube testers are designed to find bad tubes not to match or determine the gain and noise characteristics of good tubes.  These tasks need much more expensive equipment including curve tracers, RMS meters etc. 

However, it turns out there is a much more applicable approach to this which does not rely on this type of specialized investment. Ask yourself, why you are testing and matching the tubes in the first place. It is to establish that when you input the same signal in both channels at various levels, it keeps the output signal balanced between the channels.  As our Lyr tubes are dual triodes, there are 4 amp sections (2 each channel) that need to match in order for the outputs to match. This can be easily tested with computer-based electronic test programs (ex: Fuzzmeasure Pro) using the Lyre itself. 

Therefore, I decided to not purchase a specialized setup but periodically check using software and buy from reputable dealers.  

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,430 of 23,494
Thank you for the information, you have made me think perhaps it would be best to skip creating a testing rig. Now I think it be wiser to spend the money on getting tubes respectable enterprises like upscale or tube depot. Thank again for the words of wisdom on my path audiophile nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back