Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #22,622 of 23,494
No. I was kinda depending on you to tell us about an awesome new find that doesn't cost more than my hourly wage. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/e88cc-tube...349310?hash=item3b381ac67e:g:EwQAAOSw~qRdZ7Pe.

I have been drooling over some similar tubes, and if I had a bunch of money, would love to jump on either of these. I imagine these would be my "Holy Grail". . .:astonished:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-E8...ist-matched-pair-with-box-tested/233349438633
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tests-NOS-...8-6DJ8-D-Get-PINCHED-WAIST-Tubes/123704578584

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #22,623 of 23,494
The Fivre green label 6sl7 are absolutely incredible, so I have high hopes for these.

if anyone wants to split the quad with me, I'm down.

So just to confirm 6SL7's can work in the Lyr 2 with adapters..is that correct? According to radiomuseum both the voltage & current are compatible with Lyr 2.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6sl7_ddr.html

Also..since both 6SN7 & 6SL7 share the same pinout, would it be ok to use 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapters? Like these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6SN7-to-6922-Adapter/162726311823?hash=item25e33e778f:g:hyUAAOSw1JVZ8dFW

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #22,624 of 23,494
Rolled back in the Bugle Boy d getter ecc88, after spending a while with the Mullard CV2492, and they blow the Mullards out of the water, with extension on both ends, and detail in the mids. The Mullards were fun, but can't hold a candle to the Holland Bugle Boy d getter ecc88. Mullards are all mids, while the Bugle Boys have it all, with some magic sprinkled in, to make them incredible sounding. For the money, the Holland Bugle Boy D Getters ECC88, can't be beat. Back to the music.

Edit - I now know why TK sold all those Mullards CV2492. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #22,625 of 23,494
Speaking of tube rolling. . .anybody had a good one lately? I am still getting blown away about how balanced and clear sounding the Mullard CV2492 Wrinkle Glass, have been.

I’m still ‘stuck’ on the gold pin, halo getter SIEMENS 6922/e88cc. Thought that either the tungsrams or the National 7dj8s would dethrone them but, although I could (and eventually will) live happily with either of those alternatives, the Siemens remain the most liquid, least electronic sounding to my ears. I note that I've had them for a very long time - at today’s prices I’d be hard pressed to recommend a $250/pair tube. If I were in the market now, I’d probably go with the Japanese made, Telefunken tooled Nationals. They seem to like my preferred Sennheiser HD-600s almost as much as the Siemens, and they are way more sensibly priced. The yellow labeled tungsrams, which seem to be a little pricier, are delicious, but a tad more toward the analytical side to my ear. Others might prefer that sound and find my preferences too ‘smooth’ but, as you can tell fro my headphone choice, I’m not really a hyper-detail type listener.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #22,626 of 23,494
I’m still ‘stuck’ on the gold pin, halo getter SIEMENS 6922/e88cc. Thought that either the tungsrams or the National 7dj8s would dethrone them but, although I could (and eventually will) live happily with either of those alternatives, the Siemens remain the most liquid, least electronic sounding to my ears. I note that I've had them for a very long time - at today’s prices I’d be hard pressed to recommend a $250/pair tube. If I were in the market now, I’d probably go with the Japanese made, Telefunken tooled Nationals. They seem to like my preferred Sennheiser HD-600s almost as much as the Siemens, and they are way more sensibly priced. The yellow labeled tungsrams, which seem to be a little pricier, are delicious, but a tad more toward the analytical side to my ear. Others might prefer that sound and find my preferences too ‘smooth’ but, as you can tell fro my headphone choice, I’m not really a hyper-detail type listener.
The Siemens are super transparent, and listening with them it's like the headphones just disappear, and you are there. However all that detail, eventually causes fatigue, for me. I like to listen loud and long, so that is a factor.

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #22,627 of 23,494
So just to confirm 6SL7's can work in the Lyr 2 with adapters..is that correct? According to radiomuseum both the voltage & current are compatible with Lyr 2.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6sl7_ddr.html

Also..since both 6SN7 & 6SL7 share the same pinout, would it be ok to use 6SN7 to 6DJ8 adapters? Like these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6SN7-to-6922-Adapter/162726311823?hash=item25e33e778f:g:hyUAAOSw1JVZ8dFW

The same adapter will work for either the 6SL7 or 6SN7. As far as using a 6SL7 as a sub for a 6922? You won't damage anything, but what you end up with for sound is going to be a wild card. The 6SL7 has more than 3x the gain of a 6922. May sound just fine, or that significantly higher gain may muck up the sound. Lots of posts within this thread with info about subbing 12AU7's and 12AT7's and direct variants in the Lyr 2, but I don't remember seeing anyone express joy subbing a 12AX7 which has a similar high gain output to the 6SL7. Won't hurt anything to try it though.

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #22,628 of 23,494
Rolled back in the Bugle Boy d getter ecc88, after spending a while with the Mullard CV2492, and they blow the Mullards out of the water, with extension on both ends, and detail in the mids. The Mullards were fun, but can't hold a candle to the Holland Bugle Boy d getter ecc88. Mullards are all mids, while the Bugle Boys have it all, with some magic sprinkled in, to make them incredible sounding. For the money, the Holland Bugle Boy D Getters ECC88, can't be beat. Back to the music.

Edit - I now know why TK sold all those Mullards CV2492. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

D getter or horseshoe getter? To be or not tu-be. :relaxed: Does the getter style you're referring to look like the one below? I've always considered a "D getter" to be where the wire is formed in one piece, but just in the shape of a D, and a horseshoe getter where the D-shaped portion is a separate piece that is added on (like below). But that's just me, and I still refer to an automobile as a car instead of a 'ride' and a house as a home rather than a 'crib.' :laughing:

This one is labeled as Hewlett Packard, but is a Holland-made Amperex. No Bugle Boy on it, but then Amperex wouldn't have put that on a tube they OEM'd for someone else.
Horseshoe 1.jpg

Horseshoe 2.jpg

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #22,629 of 23,494
The Siemens are super transparent, and listening with them it's like the headphones just disappear, and you are there. However all that detail, eventually causes fatigue, for me. I like to listen loud and long, so that is a factor.

Agreed - and headphone choice definitely makes a difference too. I might feel differently for something other than my old senns.

One man’s ‘intimate’ is another man’s ‘relentless’, and my rig is definitely tuned more toward Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio than Artificial Brain. ;0)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #22,630 of 23,494
The same adapter will work for either the 6SL7 or 6SN7. As far as using a 6SL7 as a sub for a 6922? You won't damage anything, but what you end up with for sound is going to be a wild card. The 6SL7 has more than 3x the gain of a 6922. May sound just fine, or that significantly higher gain may muck up the sound. Lots of posts within this thread with info about subbing 12AU7's and 12AT7's and direct variants in the Lyr 2, but I don't remember seeing anyone express joy subbing a 12AX7 which has a similar high gain output to the 6SL7. Won't hurt anything to try it though.
Had very good success with Tesla 6CC41, basically a 6.3v only12AX7 with 6DJ8 pinout. Use it on low gain in my MJ2 acting as a preamp to LP. Also love the GEC A2900 in the same capacity as the Tesla. Other tubes I tried were not worth the trouble tweaking the volume controller, sometimes in micro adjustments. I prefer the 12AU7 line mainly though.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #22,631 of 23,494
Had very good success with Tesla 6CC41, basically a 6.3v only12AX7 with 6DJ8 pinout. Use it on low gain in my MJ2 acting as a preamp to LP. Also love the GEC A2900 in the same capacity as the Tesla. Other tubes I tried were not worth the trouble tweaking the volume controller, sometimes in micro adjustments. I prefer the 12AU7 line mainly though.

Good to know. I guess one of these days I should get around to trying a 6SL7 in the Lyr 3. Have a tub full of them, but haven't ever stuck one in the Lyr...

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #22,632 of 23,494
D getter or horseshoe getter? To be or not tu-be. :relaxed: Does the getter style you're referring to look like the one below? I've always considered a "D getter" to be where the wire is formed in one piece, but just in the shape of a D, and a horseshoe getter where the D-shaped portion is a separate piece that is added on (like below). But that's just me, and I still refer to an automobile as a car instead of a 'ride' and a house as a home rather than a 'crib.' :laughing:

This one is labeled as Hewlett Packard, but is a Holland-made Amperex. No Bugle Boy on it, but then Amperex wouldn't have put that on a tube they OEM'd for someone else.

Yep. That's the one, that is blowing my mind, on how good it is. Patatoe or Potato. . .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #22,633 of 23,494

Yeah..that's what I figured, but at the same time there were also higher gain tubes like 6CC41 & 62NP that people thought sounded good, so I wasn't sure. My hope was that it could sound more like a 5751, than a true 12AX7.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #22,634 of 23,494
Yep. That's the one, that is blowing my mind, on how good it is. Patatoe or Potato. . .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cool. Thanks! The guy I'm sending them to should be very pleased with them then. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back