Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #22,336 of 23,494
Around pages 1250s (Sept 2018) there are various comments on this thread about the trading practices of Oldguyradiola/Bangybangtubes and Menifee audio who have or are trading on ebay.
There are various 'suggestions' (for want of using a more profound word!!) that they are one of the same person/company and the tubes they sell are of dubious origin/condition etc
Now,nearly a year later, if these comments are correct then the necessary action should have resulted in the cessation of their continued trading !!??
I am not a tube expert ! I have recently become interested in buying a certain type of tube that are listed for sale by one of these sellers.
If anybody subscribing to this thread has any knowledge(facts !!........and yes I'm an ex UK Police Officer who traded on facts !!) can they please PM me with details.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #22,337 of 23,494
Are you Freakin' Kidding Me??!!

What's the going rate for a kidney? :unamused:

<Deep Breaths> OK -- I'm waiting to see how the Brimar CV4034s sound before making any rash decisions. :wink:
Don't fret brother! I have been told the CV4034, can best the 7316 long plate. I guess I will find out hopefully this weekend, as my CV4034 shipped out, yesterday. :o2smile:

Tube rollin for life!

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #22,338 of 23,494
Around pages 1250s (Sept 2018) there are various comments on this thread about the trading practices of Oldguyradiola/Bangybangtubes and Menifee audio who have or are trading on ebay.
There are various 'suggestions' (for want of using a more profound word!!) that they are one of the same person/company and the tubes they sell are of dubious origin/condition etc
Now,nearly a year later, if these comments are correct then the necessary action should have resulted in the cessation of their continued trading !!??
I am not a tube expert ! I have recently become interested in buying a certain type of tube that are listed for sale by one of these sellers.
If anybody subscribing to this thread has any knowledge(facts !!........and yes I'm an ex UK Police Officer who traded on facts !!) can they please PM me with details.
Think you PM`d me about Bangybangtubes a couple months ago. Not sure if there is any proof that would result in a criminal conviction. Being an educated consumer is very important in buying legitimate tubes. AFAIK this pic is not Bangy... related unless they went with 4 aliases now. This is a prime example of fraudulant 6922 Heerlen tubes imo.
Print looks suspect, pins look like they are gold dipped ECC88 A-frame dimple getter, with silver shield 6922?!? Don't think I ever seen an Amperex 6922 Holland with a silver shield. s-l1600.jpg

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #22,339 of 23,494

And therein lies the problem: proof. If this were to go to court, who can offer expert testimony? Not like there's a licensing board or certification for this type thing. Most of the people that were actually involved in the manufacturing of the really good NOS stuff are either dead or unreachable, so who would a court of law depend on to state absolutes? All BangyBang would have to do is say "Sorry, I didn't know. I thought they were the real thing." I would imagine (although this is only conjecture on my part) that if someone buys something from BangyBang and after receiving it alerts them it's a fake or counterfeit, BangyBang just refunds their money and that's the end of it. There are a LOT of ignorant purchasers out there that likely don't know the difference anyway and just take BangyBang at his word. I think between this thread and the Lyr 3 Tube Rollers thread there's been enough evidence pictured that at least some (if not all) of what he is selling is NOT the genuine article. But proving it beyond any reasonable doubt is a totally different thing. In the end it's up to you. I wouldn't purchase a tube from BangyBang, Menifee, or any of his other apostrophe-laden alternates if they were the only tube sellers left on the planet. But that's just me, and what I do is certainly not a guidepost for anyone else.

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #22,341 of 23,494
Just picked up 2 singles for around $111 total. '57/'58 Amperex ECC82 D-getter Heerlen long plates. How are the tubes compared to the long plate and short plate 7316 D-getters?
I have a couple but I have not tried them yet, because I got the 7316.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #22,343 of 23,494
No my first pair of ECC82`s. Stop being a lazy fkr and try out those ECC82 long plates. :ksc75smile:
It is gonna be real hard to take that 7316 out! That tube is unreal, and I don't thing anything can touch it.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #22,344 of 23,494
And therein lies the problem: proof. If this were to go to court, who can offer expert testimony? Not like there's a licensing board or certification for this type thing. Most of the people that were actually involved in the manufacturing of the really good NOS stuff are either dead or unreachable, so who would a court of law depend on to state absolutes? All BangyBang would have to do is say "Sorry, I didn't know. I thought they were the real thing." I would imagine (although this is only conjecture on my part) that if someone buys something from BangyBang and after receiving it alerts them it's a fake or counterfeit, BangyBang just refunds their money and that's the end of it. There are a LOT of ignorant purchasers out there that likely don't know the difference anyway and just take BangyBang at his word. I think between this thread and the Lyr 3 Tube Rollers thread there's been enough evidence pictured that at least some (if not all) of what he is selling is NOT the genuine article. But proving it beyond any reasonable doubt is a totally different thing. In the end it's up to you. I wouldn't purchase a tube from BangyBang, Menifee, or any of his other apostrophe-laden alternates if they were the only tube sellers left on the planet. But that's just me, and what I do is certainly not a guidepost for anyone else.

Thanks to those who have responded to my post 22336.
Apologises for taking this thread slightly of topic !
Clearly there seems to be no 'evidence' which would stand the test of scrutiny in a Court of Law ! However,If the 'suggestions' are true then I would have thought Ebay would take the necessary action.! I say that thinking they should but knowing Ebay I'm not so sure !!??
Reference has been made of certain examples where the suggestion is that the tubes in question were never produced in that manner. Interestingly, I have recently researched two types of tubes (ECC83/12AX7 and 12BH7 which my new Pre/Power Amps use.) and have found variants that have not been previously advertised !!
For instance,it was recommended that the old Tesla ECC83 be a good alternative in my Amps! I bought some from an old established Dealer in the UK who informed me he had bought them from the old Tesla factory !! I have not seen this tube with it's particular construction,mentioned anywhere ! Similar ones, yes, but not the same!!
So, it is indeed a problem for the 'average' buyer to purchase with confidence from any seller, particularly on Ebay !

However, what does surprise me, is that nobody appears to be taking this on and trying to establish the facts! This 'issue' has also been mentioned on 'Tubes Asylum' .
On 'TA' there is evidence that OGR and Bangybangtubes are one of the same. I did read somewhere that the name behind this person/company was Koterba. I recently bought some tubes from Menifee_Audio . After I read the comments on this thread and TA, I cancelled them. M_A actually refunded my money. The name on the paypal refund was Zedakiah Koterba !! Is this coincidence?? If we can establish a link between OGR/bangybangtubes and Menifee, then Ebay may take the appropiate action ??

Obviously Head-fi has a restricted audience. I live in the UK. Does anybody have any knowledge of any Association (in the US) that may be more interested at pursuing and collating evidence against person/company?
If this doesn't go any further, then I'm inclined to do what others have done!!

Aug 10, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #22,345 of 23,494
Clearly there seems to be no 'evidence' which would stand the test of scrutiny in a Court of Law ! However,If the 'suggestions' are true then I would have thought Ebay would take the necessary action.! I say that thinking they should but knowing Ebay I'm not so sure !!??
Reference has been made of certain examples where the suggestion is that the tubes in question were never produced in that manner. Interestingly, I have recently researched two types of tubes (ECC83/12AX7 and 12BH7 which my new Pre/Power Amps use.) and have found variants that have not been previously advertised !!
For instance,it was recommended that the old Tesla ECC83 be a good alternative in my Amps! I bought some from an old established Dealer in the UK who informed me he had bought them from the old Tesla factory !! I have not seen this tube with it's particular construction,mentioned anywhere ! Similar ones, yes, but not the same!!
So, it is indeed a problem for the 'average' buyer to purchase with confidence from any seller, particularly on Ebay !

However, what does surprise me, is that nobody appears to be taking this on and trying to establish the facts! This 'issue' has also been mentioned on 'Tubes Asylum' .
On 'TA' there is evidence that OGR and Bangybangtubes are one of the same. I did read somewhere that the name behind this person/company was Koterba. I recently bought some tubes from Menifee_Audio . After I read the comments on this thread and TA, I cancelled them. M_A actually refunded my money. The name on the paypal refund was Zedakiah Koterba !! Is this coincidence?? If we can establish a link between OGR/bangybangtubes and Menifee, then Ebay may take the appropiate action ??

Obviously Head-fi has a restricted audience. I live in the UK. Does anybody have any knowledge of any Association (in the US) that may be more interested at pursuing and collating evidence against person/company?
OGR sold the business lock stock and barrel a few years ago - the new owner is Bangybang,who also took over the ebay account. I did find proof of this a while ago, but can't seem to find it now, but I'll keep digging. Their ebay ID is the same, which confirms that bangybang took over. I also remember posting the ebay listing for ogr's warehouse stock sale - basically a warehouse full of tubes, which was going for something like $300k. It was around late 2017/early 2018 if I remember correctly.

As for the rest, dubious authenticity of tubes aside, they are overpriced, so even in the unlikely event the tubes are genuine, their asking prices are usually way over typical selling price/worth.

If you let us know what tubes you are after, as well as the sound characteristics/sound signature you like, Im sure we can help you find some from as trustworthy source. Many of us on this thread have more tubes than we'll ever need, and have listened to and evaluated more tubes than is healthy, so I'm sure we can help you on your quest for your holy grail tube.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #22,346 of 23,494
OGR sold the business lock stock and barrel a few years ago - the new owner is Bangybang,who also took over the ebay account. I did find proof of this a while ago, but can't seem to find it now, but I'll keep digging. Their ebay ID is the same, which confirms that bangybang took over. I also remember posting the ebay listing for ogr's warehouse stock sale - basically a warehouse full of tubes, which was going for something like $300k. It was around late 2017/early 2018 if I remember correctly.

As for the rest, dubious authenticity of tunes aside, they are overpriced, so even in the unlikely event the tubes are genuine, their asking prices are usually way over typical selling price/worth.

If you let us what tubes you are after, as well as the sound characteristics/sound signature you like, Im sure we can help you find some from as trustworthy source. Many of us on this thread have more tubes than we'll ever need, and have listened and evaluated more tubes than is healthy, so I'm sure we can help you on your quest for your holy grail tube.
Amen!

Aug 10, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #22,347 of 23,494
Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to join. This is quite a thread! I’m running an original Lyr off a little peachtree Bluetooth receiver/dac with a beloved pair of Sennheiser HD-580s (dekoni pads/650 wire) on my nightstand, and I love to roll tubes. This is my first post on this forum, so forgive me if it’s a little long winded.

I agree with much of what I’ve read here - this amp will not show its best with stock or current production tubes. The Voskhod rocket logos are magic (although I get very good results with 87 grey plates, the 79 silver plates are a smidgeon better), but I’m not convinced they are my favorite. I was getting great results with a pair of Siemens gold pin 6922s, but they ultimately became too microphonic to continue using. I also had good results with a pair of yellow label Tungsram E88CC, but to my surprise, they seem to get no love here. I am currently getting very good results with a pair of Groove Tubes labeled GT-6dj8. I’m no expert, but they appear to me to be of 70’s European manufacture (Valvo Hamburg factory - if I’m reading the codes correctly). Very smooth top to bottom, although a little light on the bass, as many of the European tubes will be, especially when compared to the Russian tubes (always that tradeoff between impact and 3D midrange). After reading through this thread, I dug up a pair of late 70’s reflector 6h23-eb (5-78 and 1-79) which spent some time in the phono section of my AI M3A before I sold it. They have been stashed away in a desk drawer for many years. For whatever reason, although I have plenty of these tubes around from my tube preamp days (mostly from the 80’s (nice) and 90’s (feh)), I never tried them in the Lyr. If I’m motivated enough later, I’m going to swap them out and see how they do. Gotta love this stuff!

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #22,348 of 23,494
Many of us on this thread have more tubes than we'll ever need, and have listened to and evaluated more tubes than is healthy...

AC!!! Great to see you here. Been a while.

On the above, define 'healthy.' If based on quantities alone, it's likely I'm dead and just haven't realized it yet. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #22,349 of 23,494

While your logic is certainly spot-on, the reality of the situation is not. Ebay is not going to suspend or cancel an account without incontrovertible proof of misdeed (and justifiably so), so let's say there was a concerted effort and a bunch of time spent to provide this info to Ebay. They cancel BangyBang's account(s), and he'll just spring up the next day with a new account, identity, and spoofed IP if needed. This is really no different than spammers, robocallers, telemarketers, etc. that once (if ever) busted just change their identity and continue on unhindered.

@AuditoryCanvas offered the best advice: consult with people here. I've been so impressed ever since I joined HeadFi with the freely shared advice, experience, and knowledge that is offered here. I've spent a lot of years playing with tubes, but there are guys here that have probably forgotten more than I've ever learned.

And as far as the Old_Guy_Radiola / BangyBang relationship that AC has already detailed, check out this listing. Scroll towards the bottom. They missed editing this one. :laughing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PIECES-N...142910?hash=item46789b1ffe:g:F7MAAOSwMN9XQ~0w

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #22,350 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back