Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 19, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #21,976 of 23,494
Having never owned ANY French tubes, the Radiotechnique and Cifte (and Mazda?)12AU7 do interest me for some odd tube collecting reason. Upscale has them NOS / NIB tested for a few $$$ less than these, however.

Radiotechnique was part of the Philips company so they may well sound like their Dutch made counterparts. I guess there is only one way to know $$$.

Anyone here have experience with French 12AU7 tubes?
I am kind of interested in those tubes, as well.

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #21,977 of 23,494
I can spray paint my Telefunken ECC82 pair for a few bucks less than those Telefunken's if anyone is interested?

I had always shied away from metal can tubes. I figured the tubes needed to be seen and glowing as part of the tube audio experience. Then I tried some Tele and Siemens C3G with black metal cans and was quite taken with their beautiful sound!

Perhaps these painted Tele's are also the real deal. Did you happen notice the cost of the other Tele's listed at Tube Depot???:astonished: Heck, these G73r are a bargain compared to their other Tele's!:smirk:

I just noticed some the other $$$ Tele's are out of stock.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #21,979 of 23,494
Having never owned ANY French tubes, the Radiotechnique and Cifte (and Mazda?)12AU7 do interest me for some odd tube collecting reason. Upscale has them NOS / NIB tested for a few $$$ less than these, however.

Radiotechnique was part of the Philips company so they may well sound like their Dutch made counterparts. I guess there is only one way to know $$$.

Anyone here have experience with French 12AU7 tubes?
I have both RT Suresnes 5814 and 12AU7 (same sound sig) non angled getter, both have those big thick dual posts. These are treble happy and very energetic (more musical and fun compared to their Heerlen brothers). I find myself grabbing for the RT Suresnes 12AT7 more often (more laid back and tamer treble). Both are nice tubes that should not be overlooked and can be had for under $100/pr.

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #21,980 of 23,494
I have both RT Suresnes 5814 and 12AU7 (same sound sig) non angled getter, both have those big thick dual posts. These are treble happy and very energetic (more musical and fun compared to their Heerlen brothers). I find myself grabbing for the RT Suresnes 12AT7 more often (more laid back and tamer treble). Both are nice tubes that should not be overlooked and can be had for under $100/pr.

Thanks for you take on the RT, mattrudy80. I am not sure I am looking for a treble happy pair until I receive a Norne silver cable in July and see how things sound with that LP and cable combo. The smooth plate (1965?) Tele's have a pretty nice top end and don't know if I want or need more energy there.

I am trying to resist ordering a pair of those 'stealth' Tele G73R's!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #21,981 of 23,494
Thanks for you take on the RT, mattrudy80. I am not sure I am looking for a treble happy pair until I receive a Norne silver cable in July and see how things sound with that LP and cable combo. The smooth plate (1965?) Tele's have a pretty nice top end and don't know if I want or need more energy there.

Those G73R's are tempting!:gs1000smile:

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #21,982 of 23,494

What color spray paint do you want on the Tele ECC82?

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #21,983 of 23,494
Thanks for the info! How is the bass, on those tubes? I am super treble sensitive, so not sure they are for me.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #21,984 of 23,494
What color spray paint do you want on the Tele ECC82?

I was hoping to do something in black, but not flat black, no..............metallic black.......... with a fade up to a bright red (also metallic) tip. This would at least allow me to 'see' the red glow I'd be missing on the top of the otherwise stealth Tele covered in paint!

Is your turnaround time reasonable as we enter the 'slow' season for custom tube painting?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #21,985 of 23,494
I was hoping to do something in black, but not flat black, no..............metallic black.......... with a fade up to a bright red (also metallic) tip. This would at least allow me to 'see' the red glow I'd be missing on the top of the otherwise stealth Tele covered in paint!

Is your turnaround time reasonable as we enter the 'slow' season for custom tube painting?
Sounds like too much work bro, go buy a legitimate pair.

Jun 19, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #21,986 of 23,494
Sounds like too much work bro, go buy a legitimate pair.

But I wanted YOU to do this custom paint job, TK! :upside_down:
Not some bored Tele worker in Berlin just dunking tubes in their 'special magic mojo' Tele paint.
I'll have to ask my creative friends at 'BB' or 'MA' if they are up to doing this paint job!!! I KNOW they can do the gold pins............

Like Henry Ford said: "Any color you want, as long as it is black" with the first Model T.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #21,987 of 23,494
Just rolled in the 2nd Mullard ECC82 57' Blackburn, and it is dead quiet. For $82 this thing was a steal! After coming from the Brimar, this tube just has something special, and sounds incredible! Sounds just burst, from all over the place. The bass hits hard and is the most textured I have heard. The mids are super layered and textured and the tone is hauntingly real. I can't come up with enough adjectives, to describe what all is going on. The Mullard, really has some tube magic, and is not coming out! The Brimar, is riding the bench, for a while.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #21,988 of 23,494
Great. Another tube that I must now purchase. My wife and bank account send their thanks. :unamused:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #21,990 of 23,494
I see right through your efforts to get me out of the market so you can snag a 5th pair. Not gonna happen, buddy. As soon as I win the lotto, it's GAME-ON!! :rage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back