Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 29, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #20,956 of 23,494
Really disappointed in that Seller from India. I had 2 separate transactions with him and they were excellent. Too bad he’s not the same guy/seller he was a year or so again. Sorry for recommending him guys. I guess it’s on me? I can take it!
Sure you can make it right buy that Telefunken ECC801S in my signature and we are squared away. Nice discount. Lol

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #20,957 of 23,494
Hardcore bro, a couple weeks worth of posts condensed into one, give me a couple weeks to read it.
Ha! just lay off the Perco long enough to stay awake LOL (Actually, I always tell my patients to start out with a low dose, then move up. 1/4 pill, 1/2 pill, etc

But here's the deal, Im moving to a remote location (I mean, not Dick Cheney remote, but still remote:yum:) with no Wifi, but I will probably be on the Net once a day, reviewing threads and responding with some multi-quotes.

I haven't noticed a difference in SQ with any of the adapters or socket savers said:
Good to know your expereince with socket savers. INteresting marriage of the LP and MJ2. Good way to experiment and tailor SQ. Could you also run the LP into the MJ2? would give even more options

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #20,958 of 23,494
Ha! just lay off the Perco long enough to stay awake LOL (Actually, I always tell my patients to start out with a low dose, then move up. 1/4 pill, 1/2 pill, etc

But here's the deal, Im moving to a remote location (I mean, not Dick Cheney remote, but still remote:yum:) with no Wifi, but I will probably be on the Net once a day, reviewing threads and responding with some multi-quotes.
Been off them about 3 weeks, any stupid Schiit I do now is on me.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #20,959 of 23,494
Well, at least he's gonna get one. Even if it eventually relegated as just a tube cooker in the future like many on this thread LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The Lyr 2 is an excellent preAmp tube product. It has its limitations, but sounds very good for desktop systems or small rooms. It sounded Great running it into my pair of active AudioEngine 5 speakers. And the tube rolling for it as a PreAmp is just as fun as rolling for HPs.

I initially bought the Lyr 2 as a preAmp, not for HPs. Percocet party-time? :thinking::grin:

These are beauties, professional packaging, the tissue paper, the rolled corrugated cardboard, love it.
Did you get them at Tubemonger? I think they have off-brand 6060's as well.

First, you should know by now that BangyBang, Totem-999, and Brent Jessee are all the SAME person. :blush:
And as far as an alternate universe goes, BangyBang and his alter egos are GOD! That should scare the shizzle out of you LOL

After sending the seamed pair back he sent the real deal? Amazing how that works. :cop: Still don't trust that guy. After traveling to both India and Cuba, I learned that ingenuity in India is on parallel with the Cubans. Where there's a will, there is a way ,especially if you want to feed your family or make a little extra cash from "rich" Westerners.

Awesome, the socket savers and adaptors from China are OK ....... but always wonder about how they impact SQ. Running a pair of $200 NOS tubes thru a made-in-a-ubiquitous-factory-in-China doesn't provide reassurance to me.

Thanks! That's great to know regarding the Lyr 2 working well as a preamp. I have have a couple spare tube preamps for two channel speaker systems, but I dont think either has a low enough noise floor for a headphone system. Couple that with the Lyr's powerful amplifier section it should be a good setup. I'm planning on using the Lyr to power all the phones except for the Argons. Heck I may find the Lyr does enough with the Argons to just use it.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #20,960 of 23,494
Hola folks,

Been a few centuries since I've posted. Lol. Been rolling tubes like a mad man over the last few months, in between every day life. I figured I'd chime in for a quick hello.

I gotta agree with TK regarding the ECC82. I don't know if it's the gain factor with hybrid amps or what, but I favor them by a good bit over any ECC81. Especially glass from England.
I'll post some thoughts on everything later this evening.
I probably scored one of the most scarce ECC82's on the planet. GEC B329 pinched waist/tilted D getter. lol. I love when people sell stuff and don't realize what they have, and list it wrong. Icing on the cake is I paid $22.50 shipped from Vietnam LOL.
Here's the one I got.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223478611577

Here's the only other one I could find on the Internet. I spent crazy hours trying to find one.
https://www.ebay.it/itm/EXTREMLY-RA...-PLATE-PINCHED-WAIST-DECLINED-D-/323118353420

I'll chime in later with my thoughts on everything I've rolled the last few months. Lol.
Good to see the thread going strong. Nice to see some new avi's as well.

I didn't forget about you TK. Just a few speed bumps along the way bro. I'll be in touch soon in pm.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #20,961 of 23,494
Hola folks,

Been a few centuries since I've posted. Lol. Been rolling tubes like a mad man over the last few months, in between every day life. I figured I'd chime in for a quick hello.

I gotta agree with TK regarding the ECC82. I don't know if it's the gain factor with hybrid amps or what, but I favor them by a good bit over any ECC81. Especially glass from England.
I'll post some thoughts on everything later this evening.
I probably scored one of the most scarce ECC82's on the planet. GEC B329 pinched waist/tilted D getter. lol. I love when people sell stuff and don't realize what they have, and list it wrong. Icing on the cake is I paid $22.50 shipped from Vietnam LOL.
Here's the one I got.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223478611577

Here's the only other one I could find on the Internet. I spent crazy hours trying to find one.
https://www.ebay.it/itm/EXTREMLY-RA...-PLATE-PINCHED-WAIST-DECLINED-D-/323118353420

I'll chime in later with my thoughts on everything I've rolled the last few months. Lol.
Good to see the thread going strong. Nice to see some new avi's as well.

I didn't forget about you TK. Just a few speed bumps along the way bro. I'll be in touch soon in pm.

Cheers!
I identified your body at the morgue months ago? You faked your own death for what? Insurance money. Who the heck got buried in your place?

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #20,963 of 23,494
These are beauties, professional packaging, the tissue paper, the rolled corrugated cardboard, love it.
Did you get them at Tubemonger? I think they have off-brand 6060's as well.

Awesome, the socket savers and adaptors from China are OK ....... but always wonder about how they impact SQ. Running a pair of $200 NOS tubes thru a made-in-a-ubiquitous-factory-in-China doesn't provide reassurance to me.

For the 6060 Thanks, I actually got them on eBay, but your right Tubemonger does sell similar tubes! For the adapters from China I have not been impressed by them at all, they do the job but the build quality is subpar. Personally I really like the build quality of the Tubemonger socket savers and I will be picking up some of the adapters when they have them.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #20,964 of 23,494
For the 6060 Thanks, I actually got them on eBay, but your right Tubemonger does sell similar tubes! For the adapters from China I have not been impressed by them at all, they do the job but the build quality is subpar. Personally I really like the build quality of the Tubemonger socket savers and I will be picking up some of the adapters when they have them.
Have you tried the ones I linked in PM, the ceramic ones?

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #20,965 of 23,494
Really disappointed in that Seller from India. I had 2 separate transactions with him and they were excellent. Too bad he’s not the same guy/seller he was a year or so again. Sorry for recommending him guys. I guess it’s on me? I can take it!

Don’t worry @koover it’s not your fault, all of us that purchased a pair from him wanted to try them and in this tube hunting adventure, stuff like this happens! My pair seem to be legit, however they might be repainted.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #20,966 of 23,494
Hmmmm. I wonder if he'll paint a pair of Brimar CV4003s in mauve? :thinking:

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #20,968 of 23,494
Running a pair of $200 NOS tubes thru a made-in-a-ubiquitous-factory-in-China doesn't provide reassurance to me.

Me either. :relaxed: That's why I make my own (well, except for the dual-tube adapters...haven't figured out how to improve on those....yet).

My favorite octal sockets from Xulingmrs. Direct gold plating over copper, and the grip is like vise-man on steroids. I like NOS Cinch and Amphenol sockets too, but they are getting more and more pricey and I actually prefer these a bit more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-8-pin-ceramic-gold-plated-tube-socket-for-KT88-6550-EL34-6L6-6V6-EM34/190802800036?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

upload_2019-4-29_18-55-12.png

Some nice gold-plated pin bases from Angela:

https://www.angela.com/octalsocketsandaccessories.aspx?page=3

upload_2019-4-29_18-58-38.png

These work pretty well too: Angela is a little pricier, but Xulingmrs has them a little cheaper if you don't mind waiting. Same exact base:

upload_2019-4-29_19-0-41.png

20 gauge Teflon coated PCOCC copper wire from Neotech:

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/neotech-solid-upocc-copper-in-teflon-20-awg-red-p-1588

upload_2019-4-29_19-4-27.png

And some Cardas solder to stick it all together. Yes, I'm anal....no need for anyone to point it out. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #20,969 of 23,494
Thx for dropping that nuclear bomb bc. :open_mouth: Lol
I knew you were holding out on us! :smile:

Last week he implies he’s so broke that he can only afford to buy tube parts to make a damn tube. This week he’s on the verge of starting his own business.!

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #20,970 of 23,494
Don’t worry @koover it’s not your fault, all of us that purchased a pair from him wanted to try them and in this tube hunting adventure, stuff like this happens! My pair seem to be legit, however they might be repainted.
Yeah heard stories of 1 guy buying non fake tubes from oldguyradiola once. Though I think they were GE tubes and probably would of benefited from some fakery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back