1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. TK16
    My pair sounds exactly like the other MJ2 owners impressions, authentic Telefunken ECC801S. Though I won't be buying from this seller again. Makes me wonder what else he is reprinting. IMO if someone reprints one tube, there is a very good chance other tubes are being reprinted. Opens up the door to tube fakery.

Dawgfish, fotomeow and jb77 like this.
  2. TK16
  3. mattrudy80
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Dawgfish likes this.
  4. TK16
    Those appear to be goal post getter, Blackburn or Mitcham?, cannot see the codes fully. Theres a big downgrade in SQ vs the Blackburn square getters, in my case. You see that kind of uniform getter flash, it is usually not a D getter Mullard ECC82.

Dawgfish likes this.
  5. Ripper2860
    Seller added a new pic to the listing. Halo getter? Or does the dual support make it a goal post getter?

Dawgfish likes this.
  6. mattrudy80
    Oh Yeah... GOOOAL. LOL. Thanks guys!

Dawgfish and fotomeow like this.
  7. jb77
    Well looks like I fell off the tube addict wagon again, lol :ksc75smile:

I have purchased two more pair of tubes. First these: https://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_CV4033_NOS_1960_62_Prem_CV4024_STC_Eng_FAC_p/2042m.htm
    From Tubemonger, they are Brimar CV4033 tubes that Tubemonger made a 9 pin base for, to work with amps. I was doing more reading and research on my Brimar 6060 Yellow T tubes and ran across a few articles talking about the CV4033 being superior to the Yellow T, So I purchased a pair to try and I’ll post impressions on which I like better.

@AuditoryCanvas for the CV4033 I found information stating the heater current is 150ma, if you know of other information that contradicts this please let me know. I am trying too make sure I don’t use any tubes in my MJ2 that are above 400ma.

D78DDDA1-3E32-4AEB-B165-3BDD4B862A30.png

Second pair of tube I purchased were these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PAIR-...-12AT7WA-TRIPLE-MICA-AVO-TESTED-/153456249148

Got them for cheap so figured I’d try them, pair of CV2024 triple mica, look like black plates as well.

8BB04727-D877-4A1B-BCF8-BFBD2E7448FA.png

Dawgfish, mattrudy80 and TK16 like this.
  8. mattrudy80
    Interesting... I'm tempted to buy some of these in bulk and make up a few sets. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts when you get them!

Dawgfish and jb77 like this.
  9. jb77
    Absolutely I will let you know what I think of them once I get them, I’ll do an initial impression and impressions after burn in! Of the reading I did last night some people were saying that the CV4033 were the best Brimar made for the 12at7 family! Supposedly this was the case because the CV4033 are Special Grade Flying Leads tubes that Tubemonger made basses for too allow them to work in nine pin 12at7 family amps. As Special Grade Flying Leads tubes the leads (don’t have pins) normally were soldered to the board, because of this they needed high reliability and performance. Will be interesting to see how they preform!

Dawgfish likes this.
  10. jb77
    :warning:Attention Important Announcement post! Regarding Tubemonger:warning:

This is information is from the company Tubemonger, as a lot of us here use their socket savers, hopefully in around three weeks or so, they are going to be releasing adapters including 12**7 to 6922/6DJ8/ECC88! Using the same components they use for the socket savers!

They let me know this information via email communication regarding my recent order as they asked me what adapters I was using.
    I asked Tubemonger if I could let my fellow members here know and they said yes, so hence this post!

gardibolt, Dawgfish, fotomeow and 3 others like this.
  11. TK16
    Screw those guys, regarding warranty for a pair of socket savers. I was approved for a pair, they were out of stock for 2 months. I inquired about my replacement when in stock and got a bunch of less than cordial emails to say the least back and forth. I still have the emails. If you read them I do not think you would buy from them again.

12. koover
    You have some jacked up luck TK, or you just don’t settle for anything.
    Unfortunately they probably have the best socket savers out there. I never buy anything from them anyway other then my SS’s.

13. fotomeow
    Well, at least he's gonna get one. Even if it eventually relegated as just a tube cooker in the future like many on this thread LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The Lyr 2 is an excellent preAmp tube product. It has its limitations, but sounds very good for desktop systems or small rooms. It sounded Great running it into my pair of active AudioEngine 5 speakers. And the tube rolling for it as a PreAmp is just as fun as rolling for HPs.

I initially bought the Lyr 2 as a preAmp, not for HPs. Percocet party-time? :thinking::grin:

These are beauties, professional packaging, the tissue paper, the rolled corrugated cardboard, love it.
    Did you get them at Tubemonger? I think they have off-brand 6060's as well.

First, you should know by now that BangyBang, Totem-999, and Brent Jessee are all the SAME person. :blush:
    And as far as an alternate universe goes, BangyBang and his alter egos are GOD! That should scare the shizzle out of you LOL

After sending the seamed pair back he sent the real deal? Amazing how that works. :cop: Still don't trust that guy. After traveling to both India and Cuba, I learned that ingenuity in India is on parallel with the Cubans. Where there's a will, there is a way ,especially if you want to feed your family or make a little extra cash from "rich" Westerners.
    Awesome, the socket savers and adaptors from China are OK ....... but always wonder about how they impact SQ. Running a pair of $200 NOS tubes thru a made-in-a-ubiquitous-factory-in-China doesn't provide reassurance to me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    bcowen, jb77, TK16 and 2 others like this.
  14. TK16
    Hardcore bro, a couple weeks worth of posts condensed into one, give me a couple weeks to read it.
    I haven't noticed a difference in SQ with any of the adapters or socket savers, be it Chinese, Garage 2C51 adapter, Tube monger etc.
    I agree with the Indian eBay seller, won't be buying from him again. The MJ2 works as a wonderful preamp for my LP, though tubes account for about 2 thirds of the tube sound the LP roughly 1 third.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    fotomeow likes this.
  15. koover
    Really disappointed in that Seller from India. I had 2 separate transactions with him and they were excellent. Too bad he’s not the same guy/seller he was a year or so again. Sorry for recommending him guys. I guess it’s on me? I can take it!

fotomeow likes this.