Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #20,821 of 23,492
Happy Easter!
bunny.jpg

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #20,822 of 23,492
Thank you for making that public. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I doubt that simply removing the cover voided the warranty. I would imagine it's done all the time if someone buys a DAC card to put in after the initial purchase. Besides, Schiit was not being totally upfront with that label on the back stating "no user serviceable components inside." The stuck socket saver was most definitely user serviceable, and I serviced it. :sunglasses:

Now if I get around to replacing the factory installed fuse with an expensive, fancy boutique fuse of unknown provenance with no known testing, no UL or CE certification, and only a wish and a hope that it will blow within at least 20 or 30 amps of its stated rating, THAT will void the warranty. :laughing:
ya bc, but how did all those grits and chitlins get stuck on the PCB board? :upside_down: and don't tell us it was "Gravity's" fault!

Excellent! And now the fun begins. You already know of course that the Pangea will need some break-in time before it sounds its best. About 5 days on the Audiodharma will do the trick on a cord that size. :slight_smile:

wow, Ive never actually known of an AudioDharma OWNER before. "Those with the most toys win!". a-:ok_hand: with me

But seeweeouswy. I could use some Recs on pulling out the tubes for rolling.
I mean, after bloody-ing my fingers at first, well that didn't work well.
Then using the Tubemonger and pin-savers sockets just left those sockets in the amp housing while I pulled the tubes out above them.
That then required a screwdriver to nudge the little dickens out of the Lyr socket and then fishing my fingers around down there to grab the dang thing.

So I went online: what do others do? What does Jason Stoddard suggest?

Well, turns out he suggests Old-skool: get a 4" piece of tape, wrap it around the top of the tube and pull up.
That's science boy. It is also a turd in the punchbowl b/c that tape rips the fragile printing right off my $250 HG tubes,
reducing their value considerably, as well as mis-identifying them for future use.
Hmmm. Are these the $300 CCa's or the $20 Russian knock-offs?

What do ya'll do? recs?

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #20,823 of 23,492
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #20,824 of 23,492
From @Ripper2860
"Hmmmm... Something like this may work for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GC-Electro...287705?hash=item521af08199:g:Gi0AAOSwiolcreKR

"

Cool. Is this what you use?
It is even NOS too!! Fits the tubes!

"GC Electronics Electron / Vacuum Tube Extractor / Tongs with Coated Prongs. Acquired from government surplus. They are NOS (new old stock) and in new condition as pictured. 8" / 20.3cm in total length with prongs 1-3/4" / 4.4cm. See 2nd pic for government description."

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #20,825 of 23,492
ya bc, but how did all those grits and chitlins get stuck on the PCB board? :upside_down: and don't tell us it was "Gravity's" fault!

wow, Ive never actually known of an AudioDharma OWNER before. "Those with the most toys win!". a-:ok_hand: with me

Then using the Tubemonger and pin-savers sockets just left those sockets in the amp housing while I pulled the tubes out above them.
That then required a screwdriver to nudge the little dickens out of the Lyr socket and then fishing my fingers around down there to grab the dang thing.

Well, turns out he suggests Old-skool: get a 4" piece of tape, wrap it around the top of the tube and pull up.
That's science boy. It is also a turd in the punchbowl b/c that tape rips the fragile printing right off my $250 HG tubes,
reducing their value considerably, as well as mis-identifying them for future use.

What do ya'll do? recs?
I've been stacking two socket savers together. Probably not the greatest for SQ, but eases tube removal...

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #20,826 of 23,492

No, I don't have one but I've read of folks that do use them and they give it a positive review. Seems like it would work well for tubes and stranded socket saver/adapter removal on amps with recessed tube sockets. I'm thinking of snagging one for myself. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #20,827 of 23,492

I've been stacking two socket savers together. Probably not the greatest for SQ, but eases tube removal...
I was wondering about that! I like that solution, but also wonder about SQ. We get a lot of pretty good cheap socket savers from China, but always lurking in the back of my mind if they are constricting the capabilities of the NOS tubes. I suppose it could be tested, 1) by ear, or 2) by measuring sonics/graphs. But I don't have any equipment or software to test it properly.

No, I don't have one but I've read of folks that do use them and they give it a positive review. Seems like it would work well for tubes and stranded socket saver/adapter removal on amps with recessed tube sockets. I'm thinking of snagging one for myself. :wink:
I may spring for one too, just want to do a little bit more research. But my question is, how do you test for the NOS status of the prongs?
Stick them in your B&K and measure Gm??!! :nerd:

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #20,828 of 23,492
But my question is, how do you test for the NOS status of the prongs?
Stick them in your B&K and measure Gm??!! :nerd:

I think I'll just take them at their word, given the seller is not BangyBang. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #20,831 of 23,492
From @Ripper2860
"Hmmmm... Something like this may work for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GC-Electro...287705?hash=item521af08199:g:Gi0AAOSwiolcreKR

"

"GC Electronics Electron / Vacuum Tube Extractor / Tongs with Coated Prongs. Acquired from government surplus. They are NOS (new old stock) and in new condition as pictured. 8" / 20.3cm in total length with prongs 1-3/4" / 4.4cm. See 2nd pic for government description."

WTH -- I bought one. 1 left (or so they say).

BTW -- offer of $20 was quickly accepted, so you might want to try $15. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #20,832 of 23,492

What do ya'll do? recs?
I would not use a screw driver, unless it is all wood. Lol. I use the small end of a chop stick or or an ice cream stick. Hickok 752/A owners can pull tubes out with our fingers. Them fingers are very strong.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #20,833 of 23,492
I would not use a screw driver, unless it is all wood. Lol. I use the small end of a chop stick or or an ice cream stick. Hickok 752/A owners can pull tubes out with our fingers. Them fingers are very strong.

And the best thing to do with a 752 is let an 83 rectifier tube cook for about 20 minutes and then yank it out with your bare fingers. Separates the men from the, um, men with skin left on their fingers. :smiley:

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #20,835 of 23,492
Noticed that with 2C51/5670 with just a 3 minute warm up. Freaking hot.

Oh, that's beginner stuff. I pull those out with my teeth. LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back