Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #20,791 of 23,494
ROFL!! I remember reading about the fuses when I ventured back into the land of audio lunacy after a 10-year hiatus. When I took my sabbatical $30k interconnects and $50k speaker cables were all the rage. Guess everybody bought all those up during that 10 years so now it was time for something different (but equally stupid): $100 fuses. What? Fools and their money. But even after all that time I was still me somehow, so a Synergistic Black fuse was soon incoming. Damnit. And in short order all my big rig components had SR Black fuses in them. :smirk: Haven't tried the Blues, and I'll probably not sleep well tonight imagining what I'm missing. LOL!

And you won't sleep well tonight b/c guess what? The BLUE was the one specifically raved about by this Nordost dealer I spoke to. He wasn't even a Synergistic Research dealer and he was totally hyped on THE BLUE! LMAO!
This schists is addictive!

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #20,792 of 23,494
Thanks for that. Now I probably won't sleep tomorrow night either.

:laughing:

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #20,793 of 23,494
And you won't sleep well tonight b/c guess what? The BLUE was the one specifically raved about by this Nordost dealer I spoke to. He wasn't even a Synergistic Research dealer and he was totally hyped on THE BLUE! LMAO!
This schists is addictive!

I'm thinking you should get a Blue for the Calypso and let us all know how it sounds. You know, one for the team and all?

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Wonder what value the Lyr 3 needs....guess I'll find out tomorrow. LOL!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #20,795 of 23,494
Wonder what value the Lyr 3 needs....guess I'll find out tomorrow. LOL!

Why do I sense a new audio nervosa nightmare is imminent. :unamused:

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #20,796 of 23,494
This is one that was handy to take a picture of. Short because I needed it short. :slight_smile: This has Furutech FI-11 unplated copper blade connectors and Oyaide Black Mamba (bulk) cable that I added an antistatic braided sleeve (mostly just for appearance because I'm anal). Connector options are nearly endless -- unplated, gold plated, Rhodium plated, lots of different brands, etc. as are sleeving options (any color and design you want so long as it's any color or design you want). :relaxed: Furutech and Oyaide connectors are expensive but have incredible build quality. I gave up a long time ago trying to create my own weave/twisting configuration for the inner conductors and have been very happy using the pre-made (bulk) cable from either Neotech or Oyaide. The Neotech tends to run a little on the warmer, full-bodied side while the Oyaide Black Mamba is faster and a bit more dynamic. Neotech bulk cable is quickly available in the 'States -- the Oyaide has to be ordered from Japan.

Note the prices below are per foot, so this is not a cheap endeavor depending on how long the cord needs to be.

http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/wire-power-c-296_178

I have never tried one of the Pangea power cords. Many, many reports on them being great cables for the money. The only thing I've ever bought from Pangea was one of their least expensive USB cables. And not meaning to offend anyone here, but quite frankly it sucked. Bad. Even after breaking it in on the Audiodharma cable cooker for a full week I still needed to place thick towels on my shoulders to soak up the blood pouring out of my ears. Fatiguing? More like a mini-gun firing razor blades straight into my eardrums at 3000 blades/second. Fortunately Audio Advisor took it back for a full refund (less shipping) with no questions asked. Maybe their pricier USB options are better, but I had no desire to try any of them.

Thank you for posting a picture you have some really Nice/Awesome Cables!

Also when you use Neotech bulk cable which of the selection below do you normally use?
Again you have some really amazing cables!

5581D6A8-D497-439F-82C3-B5243837B580.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #20,797 of 23,494

That's just a distribution strip with (probably) some MOV's included to handle voltage spikes. Nothing wrong with it at all and the Furman stuff is nicely built, but you're paying a lot just for the name IMO. As @fotomeow already recommended, when it comes to a power strip or conditioner I'd look for something used first -- Ebay, usaudiomart, audiogon, etc.. Half the price of new in most cases, and assuming it hasn't been abused it will work just as good as new. This one he linked yesterday is a really good choice (for the money) I think. Plus, it has an LED which adds at least an extra $100 in coolness factor. :smiley:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...evo3-power-strip-conditioner-amp-power-cable/

upload_2019-4-20_7-56-33.png

If I were in the market for just a power distribution box, I'd make my own. Grab a nice chassis like below, get some good quality (but not top line) Furutech or Oyaide outlets, wire it up with some Neotech 12 gauge UPOCC copper wire, and be happy. :slight_smile:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-e...hash=item25c49129af:m:mxzl_rvYxAPxVQ-bGNroPcw

upload_2019-4-20_8-2-56.png

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #20,798 of 23,494
Why do I sense a new audio nervosa nightmare is imminent. :unamused:

Because all we've been talking about is tubes. Tubes comprise only 5% of the required expenditure on accessories. I thought everyone knew that? :smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #20,799 of 23,494
Thank you for posting a picture you have some really Nice/Awesome Cables!

Also when you use Neotech bulk cable which of the selection below do you normally use?
Again you have some really amazing cables!

Thanks for the nice compliment! Very appreciated. With the Neotech wire the topology is all pretty similar and the difference is in the effective gauge of the conductors. The 3003 is 13 gauge, the 3002 is 11 gauge, and the 3001 is 10 gauge. For any single audio component (excepting maybe monster megawatt power amplifiers) the 13 gauge 3003 is plenty sufficient. At the typical 6' / 2 meter length of most detachable cords, a 3 conductor 13 gauge cable will handle almost 15 amps at which point your house breaker will trip anyway unless you've installed a dedicated 20 amp line for your audio gear (yeah, I did for the big rig. LOL). I used the 11 gauge 3002 for the cord I made for the Furutech e-TP60 outlet box since it has 3 outlets. Necessary? No. Everything I have plugged into it totals less than 11 amps. The 3003 would have worked just as well, but overkill has never been a character limitation for me. :slight_smile: Only downside of going with a heavier gauge than necessary (beyond the cost) is the cable gets bigger and bulkier and harder to snake around exactly where you want it.

I like the Oyaide Black Mamba too. Slightly more expensive than the Neotech (below is per meter rather than per foot), but it's faster and more detailed than the Neotech. I like it for the phono side of the rig, and the Neotech for the digital stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202531592595
upload_2019-4-20_8-42-19.png

The Black Mamba is also available as a finished cord. Best price is here:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/92479/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

upload_2019-4-20_9-3-10.png

And those are just the two that I've used and been pleased with. Lots and lots of other options and most of them are less expensive:

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/c8-cablewire-in-many-different-sizes-types

upload_2019-4-20_8-40-28.png

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #20,800 of 23,494
I like the Oyaide Black Mamba too. Slightly more expensive than the Neotech (below is per meter rather than per foot), but it's faster and more detailed than the Neotech. I like it for the phono side of the rig, and the Neotech for the digital stuff.

Yeah, but how does it stack up to Cryo treated 18awg lamp cord??

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #20,801 of 23,494
Yeah, but how does it stack up to Cryo treated 18awg lamp cord??

I've never experimented with Cryo treated lamp cord, but if I had to guess I'd say that electricity flows through it too. Does that help?

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #20,803 of 23,494
I've never experimented with Cryo treated lamp cord, but if I had to guess I'd say that electricity flows through it too. Does that help?

Think the scarier the name the higher a price it commands. Black Mamba -- $$$$. My Cryo treated 18awg lamp cord will be called -- 'The Tapeworm' and thus will command more $$$$$. Compared to Black Maba, Tapeworm will be faster, more detailed and able to leap tall buildings. :smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #20,805 of 23,494
Sorry. Got a bit carried away. :frowning2:

Nice snag on the Brimar's, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back