1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. fotomeow
    And you won't sleep well tonight b/c guess what? The BLUE was the one specifically raved about by this Nordost dealer I spoke to. He wasn't even a Synergistic Research dealer and he was totally hyped on THE BLUE! LMAO!
    This schists is addictive!

bcowen and jb77 like this.
  2. bcowen
    Thanks for that. Now I probably won't sleep tomorrow night either.

:laughing:

fotomeow likes this.
  3. bcowen
    I'm thinking you should get a Blue for the Calypso and let us all know how it sounds. You know, one for the team and all?

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Wonder what value the Lyr 3 needs....guess I'll find out tomorrow. LOL!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    fotomeow likes this.
  4. TK16
    bcowen likes this.
  5. Ripper2860
    Why do I sense a new audio nervosa nightmare is imminent. :unamused:

bcowen and jb77 like this.
  6. jb77
    Thank you for posting a picture you have some really Nice/Awesome Cables!

Also when you use Neotech bulk cable which of the selection below do you normally use?
    Again you have some really amazing cables!

5581D6A8-D497-439F-82C3-B5243837B580.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    fotomeow and bcowen like this.
  7. bcowen
    That's just a distribution strip with (probably) some MOV's included to handle voltage spikes. Nothing wrong with it at all and the Furman stuff is nicely built, but you're paying a lot just for the name IMO. As @fotomeow already recommended, when it comes to a power strip or conditioner I'd look for something used first -- Ebay, usaudiomart, audiogon, etc.. Half the price of new in most cases, and assuming it hasn't been abused it will work just as good as new. This one he linked yesterday is a really good choice (for the money) I think. Plus, it has an LED which adds at least an extra $100 in coolness factor. :smiley:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...evo3-power-strip-conditioner-amp-power-cable/

upload_2019-4-20_7-56-33.png

If I were in the market for just a power distribution box, I'd make my own. Grab a nice chassis like below, get some good quality (but not top line) Furutech or Oyaide outlets, wire it up with some Neotech 12 gauge UPOCC copper wire, and be happy. :slight_smile:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-e...hash=item25c49129af:m:mxzl_rvYxAPxVQ-bGNroPcw

upload_2019-4-20_8-2-56.png

jb77, fotomeow and TK16 like this.
  8. bcowen
    Because all we've been talking about is tubes. Tubes comprise only 5% of the required expenditure on accessories. I thought everyone knew that? :smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

jb77, fotomeow and Ripper2860 like this.
  9. bcowen
    Thanks for the nice compliment! Very appreciated. With the Neotech wire the topology is all pretty similar and the difference is in the effective gauge of the conductors. The 3003 is 13 gauge, the 3002 is 11 gauge, and the 3001 is 10 gauge. For any single audio component (excepting maybe monster megawatt power amplifiers) the 13 gauge 3003 is plenty sufficient. At the typical 6' / 2 meter length of most detachable cords, a 3 conductor 13 gauge cable will handle almost 15 amps at which point your house breaker will trip anyway unless you've installed a dedicated 20 amp line for your audio gear (yeah, I did for the big rig. LOL). I used the 11 gauge 3002 for the cord I made for the Furutech e-TP60 outlet box since it has 3 outlets. Necessary? No. Everything I have plugged into it totals less than 11 amps. The 3003 would have worked just as well, but overkill has never been a character limitation for me. :slight_smile: Only downside of going with a heavier gauge than necessary (beyond the cost) is the cable gets bigger and bulkier and harder to snake around exactly where you want it.

I like the Oyaide Black Mamba too. Slightly more expensive than the Neotech (below is per meter rather than per foot), but it's faster and more detailed than the Neotech. I like it for the phono side of the rig, and the Neotech for the digital stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202531592595
    upload_2019-4-20_8-42-19.png

The Black Mamba is also available as a finished cord. Best price is here:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/92479/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

upload_2019-4-20_9-3-10.png

And those are just the two that I've used and been pleased with. Lots and lots of other options and most of them are less expensive:

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/c8-cablewire-in-many-different-sizes-types

upload_2019-4-20_8-40-28.png

jb77 likes this.
  10. Ripper2860
    Yeah, but how does it stack up to Cryo treated 18awg lamp cord??

jb77, fotomeow and bcowen like this.
  11. bcowen
    I've never experimented with Cryo treated lamp cord, but if I had to guess I'd say that electricity flows through it too. Does that help?

:laughing:

jb77, fotomeow, Mike-WI and 2 others like this.
  12. TK16
    jb77 and bcowen like this.
  13. Ripper2860

Think the scarier the name the higher a price it commands. Black Mamba -- $$$$. My Cryo treated 18awg lamp cord will be called -- 'The Tapeworm' and thus will command more $$$$$. Compared to Black Maba, Tapeworm will be faster, more detailed and able to leap tall buildings. :smirk:

jb77 and bcowen like this.
  14. TK16
    Wanted to apologize personally with my off topic previous post about vacuum tubes.

15. Ripper2860
    Sorry. Got a bit carried away. :frowning2:

Nice snag on the Brimar's, BTW.

jb77 likes this.