1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. mattrudy80
    Good to hear that about the Mullard 6201's, I can't wait to listen to them. I think I bought the ones off of the Bay that you linked.

Yes, I think that's him. Very attentive!

TK16 and jb77 like this.
  2. jb77
    Have some nice tubes incoming! let me know how you like the Telefunken ECC81.

I have only recently been bit by the Tube Bug! All started way back in February of this year....lol

Thanks for the impressions on the RCA 6201’s

TK16 and mattrudy80 like this.
  3. TK16
    @jb77, nice looking 6N3P Reflektor 3x micas in your avatar! MJ2 as well!

jb77 and mattrudy80 like this.
  4. jb77
    Thank you! The MJ2 is an excellent amp really glad I bought one, the 6N3P Reflektor 3x micas are good tubes! With just the little bit of listening I have done with these tubes I like them! will definitely make my top 10 list, just not sure where they will place yet as I have several tubes I still need to burn in.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    TK16 likes this.
  5. mattrudy80
    After first listen, I concur that the RCA 12AU7 clear tops are a nice listen and good value, probably best suited for some types of jazz and rock/electronica. They have warmth with a smaller soundstage, the treble rolls off nicely. My first pair seem to have a dip somewhere in the midrange and I'm not sure if its due to the warmth/tubiness or the frequency response of the tubes, I'll do a comparison when my second pair arrives.

The RCA 5963 are similar and have a larger soundstage, a bit more depth and better seperation, they also don't have the dip in the midrange. I find the greater separation to not be as good for rock music. (YMMV as these findings are quite subjective).

jb77 likes this.
  6. mattrudy80
  7. TK16
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    jb77, bcowen and mattrudy80 like this.
  8. mattrudy80
    Thanks for looking out! I can't find any info on mullard even having an "S" mica.

9. TK16
    They may be legit but way overpriced for a 12AT7.

mattrudy80 likes this.
  10. mattrudy80
    I blew up my focal listens :frowning2: Any recommendations for a pair of closed backs with good isolation that pair well with the LYR 2 for under $500? Something neutral/slightly warm.

bcowen likes this.
  11. bcowen
    If you'd consider used lovingly pre-owned, the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Closed are worth considering. Easy to drive, slightly to the warm side, and around $500 is the going price for used ones. I'm not selling mine, but they pop up in the sale forum here every now and then.

Peter Hyatt, koover and mattrudy80 like this.
  12. mattrudy80
    Thanks!

13. DRHamp
    I second that recommendation - I'm not selling mine either:)

Peter Hyatt and mattrudy80 like this.
  14. mattrudy80
    Damn. A pair just sold an hour ago for $425!

Peter Hyatt and bcowen like this.
  15. bcowen
    Dang. If only @DRHamp had been a little more prompt with his response....

:smiley::stuck_out_tongue:

mattrudy80 and TK16 like this.