1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by joydivisi0n, Jul 23, 2013.
Tags:
  1. fotomeow
    Blew them up?
    Curious how that happened.

I’ve listened to Focal stereo speakers but not the HPs. Presume the the sound signature is similar, which makes me think of the Fostex line, I use the TH900s. IMO, they are slightly warm with a “v” graph dip. Aka, slightly reduced mids compared to hi/lows.

Using tubes gives them a bump in the mids and reduces sound pressure at the hi/lows, balancing things out. They have a v. large soundstage with excellent isolation. But also very intimate (are these guys playing in my head???)

Although the TH900s are a $ grand, the point I’m getting to is the other Fostex models: mass drop TH-00s (I think) and their current TH610. They are more or less like the TH900s, just a bit less refined, and therefore around the $500 price point. In any case, the Fostex cans are musical and play nice with most genres of music and diff amps.

bcowen likes this.
  2. TK16
    Freaking tease!

jb77 and bcowen like this.
  3. bcowen
    Apologies for going off topic (briefly), but how's the Triplett?

4. mattrudy80
    Dirty tube pins, tube not seated properly, not 100% sure. Plugged headphones in and heard the loudest POP I've ever heard through a pair of cans. (Yes the volume was down)

bcowen likes this.
  5. fotomeow
    Ha! Slow boat to Jina!
    What do all these dials do???
    I’ve just unscrewed the electronics from the housing, cleaned it up a little, looked for obvious problems (none) since it turns on and lights up but the Gm test not working: does not go “full scale”.

Haven’t found a local with a tester to test its 2 tubes, an NOS GE 6C4 and a NOS GE 12AU7. Researching old Triplett threads. Found one from 2003 with exact same problem, but no responses to his thread!

Next step is to post on DIY Forum and ask for help. Also to replace caps (only 5 or so) as bcowen recommended. True dat bill. All the other threads or vids I saw said that “these Triplettes are supposed to be great, but they are not as good as they said they were..... “Wait a minute, I just changed the caps and recalibrated ... then “OMG this thing is amazing.” Blah blah blah.

upload_2019-4-4_15-31-11.jpeg

Red tipped 12AU7

upload_2019-4-4_15-35-21.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-4_15-36-39.jpeg
    Old school metal tube protectors with inner spring to reduce vibes.

And just for ****s snd giggles:
    upload_2019-4-4_15-38-46.jpeg

bcowen likes this.
  6. fotomeow
    Oh, and Hopefully the transformers are still good.
    upload_2019-4-4_15-43-44.jpeg

upload_2019-4-4_15-44-2.jpeg

7. TK16
    When you picked the tester in person did the seller test any tubes with you there?

8. bcowen
    I see 6 problems in there right off the bat. They're all yellow in color. :smile:

9. mattrudy80
    @TK16 Did you get a chance to listen to the 7316's yet?

10. TK16
    Only been burning in 7 hours and they are incredible. Most 3D sounding tubes I ever heard. They ended up testing NOS+, you buying the other pair?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    bcowen, jb77 and mattrudy80 like this.
  11. mattrudy80
    I see these with a both ct3 and ct5 codes. Wonder if there is a difference sonically?

Edit - Looks like ct5 is O getter.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  12. TK16
    I didn`t notice the change code on mine, both mine are delta9J.1959. They are in the amp currently.

13. mattrudy80
    It should say ct3 - the pair I'm buying are also delta9, and have the ct3 change code just above it.

14. fotomeow
    No. I could’ve, but didn’t feel the need to. We plugged it on, turned on, lit up. I figured any small repairs were ok given the low price he was asking. Besides, AFAIC, that is part of the adventure and learning about tubes and their properties. It’s just how I “roll”.

15. mattrudy80
    Listening to 1960 Telefunken ECC81 angled getters. All I can say is wow. This is a move in the right direction! So much detail, a touch of midrange warmth with nice soundstage and imaging. Not too treble happy(might be due to switching to HD600 cans).

jb77 and billerb1 like this.