Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 8, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #15,242 of 23,494
Hearing alot of fuss over the 5670 variant tubes (Tung Sol 2C51 Black Plate). Has anyone compared them to the Voskhods? They excellent in my Lyr 2 and I'm wondering if I should bother with the Tung Sol's. I am not looking for pointless sidegrades, but true upgrades.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #15,243 of 23,494
Has anyone encountered issues with Tubemonger's Socket Savers? I have one socket saver giving me issues, and yes, I troubleshooted the problem to be the socket saver and not the amp or the tubes. Basically, the channel being affected will start producing unwanted noise. It can be a "whoooshing" noise like someone blowing into your ear or it can be loud pops and noise. The weird thing is, if I sort of move the tube itself, giving it slight changes in its position, I can get rid of all the issues and have a long listening session with no issues. But say a day goes by and as I turn on the amp I can start getting the random issues again where I have to again sort of slightly move the tube around before it stops. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? Changing the volume does not affect noise levels. I don't mind buying a new socket saver but I don't want to spend another $40 for this to happen again. The socket savers I have now are the newer version.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #15,244 of 23,494
Has anyone encountered issues with Tubemonger's Socket Savers? I have one socket saver giving me issues, and yes, I troubleshooted the problem to be the socket saver and not the amp or the tubes. Basically, the channel being affected will start producing unwanted noise. It can be a "whoooshing" noise like someone blowing into your ear or it can be loud pops and noise. The weird thing is, if I sort of move the tube itself, giving it slight changes in its position, I can get rid of all the issues and have a long listening session with no issues. But say a day goes by and as I turn on the amp I can start getting the random issues again where I have to again sort of slightly move the tube around before it stops. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? Changing the volume does not affect noise levels. I don't mind buying a new socket saver but I don't want to spend another $40 for this to happen again. The socket savers I have now are the newer version.

Same happened to me, sent them an email, and they shipped me out a brand new one the next day for free.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #15,245 of 23,494
Hearing lot of fuss over the 5670 variant tubes (Tung Sol 2C51 Black Plate). Has anyone compared them to the Voskhods? They excellent in my Lyr 2 and I'm wondering if I should bother with the Tung Sol's. I am not looking for pointless sidegrades, but true upgrades.

Yes, this is must try a tube, several people agree that this tube has Great mid. If you like the mid you should definitely try. This tube will not hurt your wallet so give it a try.
another opinion is Western electric 2c51. This is WHAT everyone is the fuss in here.

Voskhod...to me, this TS 2c51 can blow Voskhod away. It's just to me.

Of course, with Lyr 2 you need a converter.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #15,246 of 23,494

I had the similar problem, my problem was internet box. It was near my Lyr, when I get rid of the internet box, I no more noise for me... So, you should take a look at your audio set area.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #15,247 of 23,494
Same happened to me, sent them an email, and they shipped me out a brand new one the next day for free.

That is nice to hear, I will shoot them an e-mail, thanks.

I had the similar problem, my problem was internet box. It was near my Lyr, when I get rid of the internet box, I no more noise for me... So, you should take a look at your audio set area.

The issue is only with one channel and I found it to be the socket saver. I did the typical troubleshooting sequence. I first tried another set of tubes, still had the same issue in the same channel. I then swapped the socket savers and now the issue swapped channels. So I know it is not the tubes or the amp. My setup is no different than when I first got the amp which worked just fine. My Lyr is seperated from most of my computer gear. And the amp still performs extremely well. I just need to wiggle the tubes a bit to get the noise to go away.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #15,250 of 23,494
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #15,253 of 23,494
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #15,254 of 23,494
Even if it IS “that” dealer,
Wouldn’t this be a great deal if he’d take $175 for these?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/32-pieces-NO...359405?hash=item3f88ff1a2d:g:vdgAAOSwo4pYU5En

So instead of getting 2 mediocre 2c51 tubes you get 32 mediocre tubes. Doesn’t do much for me...unless you know there’s an untapped demand for mediocre 2c51’s out there where you’d make a few bucks per pair sold. That’s a lot of bullschiit for very limited return. Have at it if you’re so inclined.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #15,255 of 23,494
So instead of getting 2 mediocre 2c51 tubes you get 32 mediocre tubes. Doesn’t do much for me...unless you know there’s an untapped demand for mediocre 2c51’s out there where you’d make a few bucks per pair sold. That’s a lot of bullschiit for very limited return. Have at it if you’re so inclined.
No ain’t gonna do it, thus the reason for inquiring .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back