Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #15,212 of 23,494
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #15,213 of 23,494
TK.... how do these sound? I was just out of the Tube Buying hole and now I got sucked back in. Wth man!
I would not buy the pair I linked with 30 year difference, I love these tubes the best out of these variants that need an adapter. I bought 4 pairs. Very warm sounding with very good detail, wide soundstage, excellent bass, very good mids though the Tung Sol 2C51 has the best midrange I ever heard. I call these Mullards on HGH and steroids at the same time. All the benefits of Mullards with none of the negatives. My pairs are all late 40's to early 50's so I do not know how the later ones sound. I am kinda crappy in describing what I hear but think I got the gist of it. This is all IMO many here prefer the TS 2C51 over the WE, but I rate the WE a notch above with the TS a close 2nd.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #15,214 of 23,494
Bought multiple sets from him, he sells good stuff.
Price does seem low though.

Painted labels look to be in poor shape, (Telefunken E188CC, $249.95). The pair have the same production codes. My question would be, how much of the labels will remain, after shipping from Germany to the US, 3%? This will have and effect on collector resale value.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #15,215 of 23,494
Painted labels look to be in poor shape, (Telefunken E188CC, $249.95). The pair have the same production codes. My question would be, how much of the labels will remain, after shipping from Germany to the US, 3%? This will have and effect on collector resale value.

I've seen better print...but I've seen a whole lot worse (or none at all). And this is how you find deals on expensive tubes. If you're buying them as a collector, that's one thing. If you're buying them to listen to them you may have found that hard-to-find bargain. IF they're legit Teles and IF they are quiet, this is a deal. I'm not sure if this seller responds to questions (I think I might remember that he's snarky...or non-responsive) you may consider asking him about tube noise, returns, etc.etc.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #15,216 of 23,494
I would not buy the pair I linked with 30 year difference, I love these tubes the best out of these variants that need an adapter. I bought 4 pairs. Very warm sounding with very good detail, wide soundstage, excellent bass, very good mids though the Tung Sol 2C51 has the best midrange I ever heard. I call these Mullards on HGH and steroids at the same time. All the benefits of Mullards with none of the negatives. My pairs are all late 40's to early 50's so I do not know how the later ones sound. I am kinda crappy in describing what I hear but think I got the gist of it. This is all IMO many here prefer the TS 2C51 over the WE, but I rate the WE a notch above with the TS a close 2nd.

I rate the WE396A above the Tung Sol 2C51 too. But the I rate the WE "JW" 2C51 above all the 6922 and 5670 tubes. I bought those last two quads of the WE "JW" 2C51 tubes so I am set for life. I even have a Vali 2 that I use with these 5670 tubes. I have no need for a 6922 tube....and I have had the best. I had several pair of the Telefunken CCa and Siemens CCa tubes. I also had several pairs of the Reflecktor "Holy Grail" tubes. None beat the WE "JW" tubes in my setup. I think I have averaged about $30 a tube for my 5670 collection. That's about 1/4th what I had in my 6922 tubes.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #15,217 of 23,494
Painted labels look to be in poor shape, (Telefunken E188CC, $249.95). The pair have the same production codes. My question would be, how much of the labels will remain, after shipping from Germany to the US, 3%? This will have ands,d effect on collector resale value.
When that seller says old stock and does not mention NOS, that means they are used. I would be more concerned if they had perfect print, bit leery of perfect print Telefunken's.
@billerb1, that seller responds, but is very arrogant. Do not think he tests for noise/microphonics etc. Had a pair of Mullard RTC E188CC fron him that you could play jingle bells while tapping the tube or amp. His top notch sets were fine.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #15,223 of 23,494
I literally hear next to no difference between WE396A from the 40s and the "JW" WE396A from the 50s but as always to each their own :wink:

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #15,225 of 23,494
I cannot tell my 3 JW pairs apart. My 4th pair is a JW and non JW 48/49 pair and I can pinpoint the JW tube being in the left or right channel. Almost prophet like!

What differences do you hear going from the WE 396As to the JWs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back