Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8,341 of 8,735
All my Voskhods have sold out, damn that was fast lol

I do still have my Amperex PQ 6DJ8's up for sale on ebay, i know this is a shameless plug and don't know if it's allowed, but i'm getting tired of relisting them 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190866003915?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

They do have a similar presentation to the silver shield Voskhod 6N23P's but with a more intimate soundstage, and these are dead silent and zero microphonics.

So if anyone wants them then fill your boots 
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #8,342 of 8,735
Quote:
So I have about 200 hours into my Bitfrost + Lyr + HE-500s and I'm wondering what the first tubes I should get are!! Anybody wanna make a rec?

Rather than just getting new responses to this question, I would recommend going back 50-100 pages and reading the posts responding to the same question.
It goes pretty fast.   This way you will get closer to a consensus opinion from a broad group of respondents that have a lot of experience.   The question does not have a simple answer.

Some noobs have read the entire thread and gained a considerable about of knowledge.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8,343 of 8,735
I have a set of these and love them...impressive tube, especially the Tektronix ones (dead silent). :)

All my Voskhods have sold out, damn that was fast lol

I do still have my Amperex PQ 6DJ8's up for sale on ebay, i know this is a shameless plug and don't know if it's allowed, but i'm getting tired of relisting them 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190866003915?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

They do have a similar presentation to the silver shield Voskhod 6N23P's but with a more intimate soundstage, and these are dead silent and zero microphonics.

So if anyone wants them then fill your boots 
popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #8,344 of 8,735
Quote:
I have a set of these and love them...impressive tube, especially the Tektronix ones (dead silent).
smily_headphones1.gif

I love them too! but as it is with tube rolling, there's always something else to try and only limited funds 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #8,345 of 8,735
Quote:
6N23P is one of my fave tubes with the HE-500. They have a clear treble which adds a lot to the HE-500. It took me a long time to find tubes that have the necessary sparkle.

If you get a good pair of these you are pretty much at the end of the road.

Nice! Looking forward to it :)

And these are the correct/best ones to get (this is what I ordered): http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Voskhod-6N23P-Matched-pairs-/190862713135?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item2c704de12f#ht_676wt_1399

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #8,348 of 8,735
Quote:

im tempted but they are hellishly expensive at $325 pair - part of me thinks i will probably spend 5 x more than that on various tubes during my lyr tube rolling journey so why not save money and go straight to the top - the other part of me thinks that the journey is the fun part 

One question for the experienced buyers and sellers - if you buy a pair of a quality tubes like these from a reputed dealer and then sell them a few months later how much of a hit would you take ?

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #8,349 of 8,735
Got my orange globes today!! Been running them for a few hours now. Initially there was a hum in the left driver, but it disappeared when I switched the position of the tubes. I'm running a Uber Bifrost + Lyr with the HD650 setup. Compared to the only tube I had before these (stock GE 6BZ7 that came with the Lyr), I'm finding these to be really good. It seems that the details, bass, soundstage, everything is slightly upgraded. More prominent in some songs. Really pleased with the $80 I payed for the tubes. Hope it gets even better as they burn in.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #8,352 of 8,735
Just a quick question about burning. It is sufficient to simply leave the Lyr on, no need to play music with, is that correct?

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8,354 of 8,735
Thank you for the answer, it is important to me ... But should you plug in headphones, I guess not?

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,355 of 8,735
Another thing, I got my first tube to upgrade the original 6BQ7A. Siemens ECC85 to go with my HE-500. Well property I confirm that the effect of changing tubes is not a myth :) I compare with my Nad C 356 BEE. I was about to return the Lyr to Schiit, compared to Nad. But now all I blamed disappeared, tones are much more accurate and everything is better than the Nad. Perhaps lack a bit of precision in the treble.

(But now discover that I do not yet burning properly the 6BQ7A  ! Cf above conversation)

I now expect the 6N23P, thank you to those who recommended for this headphone.

One last thing: I do not understand why Schiit offers his amp with tubes not good. Sales would be better left to sell $ 20 more expensive ... but perhaps it is a matter of taste and headphones use.

(My apologies to all lovers of language ... best regards from France !)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back