Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #8,371 of 8,735
Quote:

I don't recommend leaving expensive headphones running unattended. I did it for a while, then realized a power failure + Lyr could have taken them out. I was lucky, since we seem to have momentary power outages in my neck of the woods quite often.

Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling.

http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #8,372 of 8,735
Quote:
what are v rockets, ? are those sold out ones by that UK guy(sorry can'[t remember your name off my head) on that ebay link of voskods (he said he is gonna get more) v rockets if you have looked into it?

are voskods only good with he500? what about akgs, senns, audio technicas?

V-Rocket is just a shortened name for the 6n23p Voskhod Rocket - these were made at the factory in Kaluga Russia.  They are an awesome tube at ridiculously low prices.  They're all pretty good, but the best - are the ones I've described in my previous post.  The sound is very detailed - the most detailed I have heard. The best version ('75) beats the $500 S&H CCa Gray Shields and every other 6922 variant I have owned (and I have owned a lot)-  IMHO.

They sound awesome in the Lyr with my HD800s.  I don't have the HE500 or LCD3 so can't comment. 

Now my system has very, very good upstream - including a $25K tubed DAC, $700 ICs, etc... so my experience may be different from others.

But for the money it's hard to go wrong with these tubes.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #8,373 of 8,735
Quote:

Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling.

http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Quote:
Jason Stoddard <jason@schiit.com>
Mar 20
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Most likely, and don't power cycle Lyr quickly--not a great idea for the tubes, or for the protection system. Wait at least 30 seconds after powering down to power back up again.

During a brownout/power failure you don't have that sort of luxury. I just took it as warning, don't leave the Schiit on unattended, unless you don't care about parts.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8,374 of 8,735
Quote:
V-Rocket is just a shortened name for the 6n23p Voskhod Rocket - these were made at the factory in Kaluga Russia.  They are an awesome tube at ridiculously low prices.  They're all pretty good, but the best - are the ones I've described in my previous post.  The sound is very detailed - the most detailed I have heard. The best version ('75) beats the $500 S&H CCa Gray Shields and every other 6922 variant I have owned (and I have owned a lot)-  IMHO.

They sound awesome in the Lyr with my HD800s.  I don't have the HE500 or LCD3 so can't comment. 

Now my system has very, very good upstream - including a $25K tubed DAC, $700 ICs, etc... so my experience may be different from others.

except there is nobody selling it...:frowning2:

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #8,375 of 8,735
From an Audiogon ad on the Voskhod Rockets (not mine) not to long ago:

:

"After an almost 3 year hiatus I've finally was able to locate 15 pairs of Voskhod 6H23n tubes that met my criteria of being NOS, manufactured in the Voskhod factory in Kaluga and having good lettering on the tubes. I got lucky this time because all 15 pairs ---{11 pairs now, 4 pairs have already been sold}--- were manufactured in the same year and month!
These Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tubes are the giant killers that have surpassed or equaled every tube they've been compared against in the 6DJ8/6922/7308/Cca genre of tubes. Maybe you’re skeptical of what I'm saying? Well perhaps you'd believe these two feedbacks I received from clients who previously purchased Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n from me? First is feedback left on July 30, 2010 by wizeazz who said:
WOW! I was going to drop 400.00 for some Cca a buddy of mine had when I thought, what the heck its only 35.00. (for these tubes) These things are the real deal. (I) can't tell the difference between the two. Thanx so much Tom!
The second feedback is from glitzenberger who left feedback on May 19, 2010 he said:
Tom is a great guy to do business with. I bought a pair of his 6H23 tubes and was blown away by the wonderful sound. If I had known how good these tubes sounded when I was looking for 6922 variants, I might not have purchased my Telefunken CCa's.
For many more responses in this same vein please read my Audiogon feedback. Oh did you know those Cca tubes they both spoke of are highly sought after and usually cost from $400 to $600 a pair when NOS? Yet both of these gents felt these $35 a pair Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n or ---{6N23P if you prefer that designation}--- tubes equaled or almost equaled the sound of those $400+ a pair Telefunken Cca tubes!
Let me completely honest with you. I'm sure you'll find some expensive tubes in the 6DJ8/6922.7308/Cca genre of tubes that might have better highs, mids or even better bass ---{I know I did when I compared a pair of Voskhods against over 100 different types of tubes in the 6DJ8/6922.7308/Cca genre of tubes}--- that said, what I don't believe you’ll find, is a pair of tubes that will sonically beat the Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tubes when the sound is taken as a whole from deepest bass to the highest highs! Sure some of the more expensive $200+ tubes in this genre of tubes may sound almost as good or possibly even equal the Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tube sonically, but none bested the Voskhods, with the one possible exception. A $450 pair of Telefunken Cca tubes. When I listened to the Cca vs 6N23P with friends from the Central Florida Audio Society, Space Coast Audio Society & SETriodes group the listeners were split as to which tube they preferred sonically. However everyone agreed when you factor in the cost difference of $35 vs $450. Purchasing the Voskhod "rocket logo" 6H23n tubes was a no-brainer!!!."

And these were for 1987s I think gray shields - he sold out at $35 an unmatched pr.

Got to try the Tele CCa!

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #8,377 of 8,735
Quote:
Keep looking - I just pd $15 a pr for the 1973's (bought both prs he had) - how sick is that!

I offered to a few here a while ago some extra prs I had - I have some more coming.  I'll let you know when I get them.  I run them through my Sencor tube tester.  One thing these suckers are a little larger, with thicker glass then the Amperex and Siemens.  Have not had a micro-phonic or noisy tube yet - out of 60 of so.  I would suggest a pr of Tubemonger risers though - it'll make it easier on your fingers to swap them.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,378 of 8,735
Quote:

Can't put my finger on what it is, but the Voskhod sound sig isn't right for me. Not wrong... but just not right. I'm very sad about that, since their price is so nice. But I'll keep them since there's no loss to do so. Systems (and ears) change over time.  Also, I'd like to try older than the 80's era I came across.

Currently, I'm torn between the CV2493 and the Siemens Cca. There I said it. I didn't want to, but others have piped up lately in here about the 2493 in here lately, so I figure it can't hurt now. I'd decided to stay very quiet about them.  
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I listened to them for a week and decided to go back to my beloved 'Cca'. Well, the experience was shocking... they quite possibly weren't my favourite anymore.

The /01/Cca/CV2493 60's Mullards or whatever you want to call them are so very different. Dark for certain...  but just fantastic. Accurate and revealing as any tube I've heard. But I'd love to graph out their response on a graph. They have to be notched out somewhere in the treble and if they didn't have that, I'd call it the endgame tube.

4109's? I'd have to sell some crap. I think I might be done for a while. The upscale Telefunkens haven't shown up yet, but I'm pretty eager.
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #8,381 of 8,735
Quote:
Can't put my finger on what it is, but the Voskhod sound sig isn't right for me. Not wrong... but just not right. I'm very sad about that, since their price is so nice. But I'll keep them since there's no loss to do so. Systems (and ears) change over time.  Also, I'd like to try older than the 80's era I came across.

Currently, I'm torn between the CV2493 and the Siemens Cca. There I said it. I didn't want to, but others have piped up lately in here about the 2493 in here lately, so I figure it can't hurt now. I'd decided to stay very quiet about them.  
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I listened to them for a week and decided to go back to my beloved 'Cca'. Well, the experience was shocking... they quite possibly weren't my favourite anymore.

The /01/Cca/CV2493 60's Mullards or whatever you want to call them are so very different. Dark for certain...  but just fantastic. Accurate and revealing as any tube I've heard. But I'd love to graph out their response on a graph. They have to be notched out somewhere in the treble and if they didn't have that, I'd call it the endgame tube.

4109's? I'd have to sell some crap. I think I might be done for a while. The upscale Telefunkens haven't shown up yet, but I'm pretty eager.
smile.gif

they sound pretty divine.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #8,383 of 8,735
Quote:
ebay - just put in 6n23p and sift through - i have to warn you it's a bit perilous - these Ukraine dealers don't communicate very well.  Just look at the pictures very closely and verify with them the dates they're sending.

Good Luck!

i meant the one you bought. And I did sift through most of them , I don't see anyone or any picture with date information

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8,385 of 8,735
Well what do we have here? 
biggrin.gif

Now i know what you're thinking... Those look like russkies!

Well they are, i acquired them for only £12 and both test NOS on my tester, i don't think the seller knew quite what he had here.

And yes those are the long silver shields and look remarkably like Voskhod construction, they even sound like Voskhod silver shields 
popcorn.gif

The gold pins don't look right though, i'm guessing someone tarted up the pins and painted E88CC on them so make them more saleable, just a shame i'll never know what year they're from 
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back