Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #8,404 of 8,735
Here is a fishy ad: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-NOS-and-USED-6N23P-6N23P-EV-ECC88-6DJ8-E88CC-Vintage-USSR-1970s-80s-/121140122629?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c34839405

He has various Voskhod date codes in the ad - but then posts pictures of a different date code!

Are you getting 1980 Voskhod Rockets or the 1970s ones he's listed.

That guy I'd stay away from.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #8,405 of 8,735
Quote:
It's really bad to operate tube driven amps like the Woo WA6SE w/o load.  Good you brought this up. 

Had a friend that used to like to hot swap speaker cables on his tube amp...until he fried a tranny.

I wuz just say'n

What I do not know is.. Does the Lyr have output transformers since it is a SS hybrid?
Nonetheless, I don't think it's a good idea and it is very easy to mitigate.
Radio Shack.  1/4" plug one resistor solder.  $5

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #8,407 of 8,735
Quote:
It's really bad to operate tube driven amps like the Woo WA6SE w/o load.  Good you brought this up. 

Had a friend that used to like to hot swap speaker cables on his tube amp...until he fried a tranny.

He fried a tranny? Good Lord. Is that even...legal?
eek.gif

wink_face.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #8,411 of 8,735
it saddens me to see that after I plugged in one of my two cryo platinum telefunkens from upscale in with visible all-9 slanted(slightly) pins because I thought if they double treated this tube and shipped it to me this way it shouldn't be a big deal  in their eyes unless they are freaking blind?

well it turnsr out it is, after I pulled them out the textbook lyr style, the non slanted tube was just as expected--usb gold plating last months on end, all my other gold pin tubes has shown no wear---------yet the slanted tube pins all got worn, What?

What!

I emailed them, I hope they act reasonably responsible citizens and not BS me with anthing like it's ok just use it it's no big deal the sound is not influenced--

I blew 300 on these!

My Upscale Telefunkens are supposed to be arriving tomorrow. If they have bent pins or shady date codes I am going to go ballistic. I'm buying from them to avoid all of the nonsense going on at Ebay.

Can I ask what date codes you got?

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #8,413 of 8,735
Quote:
My Upscale Telefunkens are supposed to be arriving tomorrow. If they have bent pins or shady date codes I am going to go ballistic. I'm buying from them to avoid all of the nonsense going on at Ebay.

Can I ask what date codes you got?

date codes, not with the date codes...I am bursting to tears as I found out that those duomax dampers with their super tight engineering making sure they don't slip off when they actually are to otight even for hands to conveniently get them off smudged a U out of my telefunken, and then took a way the top angle in the front, and on the other one they took away 2 letters on top in the back and smudged the whole made in germany into 2 circles of dust. 
mad.gif
 At least the original listing has my pair as the main pictures. 4 of them, enough for a blind person to know that my smudged one is indeed that pair. But I am not selling these anyways and I don't look at anything let along tubes when I enjoy hifi music. It sets my senses aside and leave my hearing at peace.

At least I realised it soon enough to not damage my 100% NOS upscale ones. These babies, along with most my other tubes have no noise anyways,  I am probably looking at returning those duomax for a refund if they can't resolve this issue for me, and if any noise happens again I am getting rx-9s or ss-9s from herbie. You know what I take that back, I am going to order some herbies right now and check that they are better or worse than the duomax and let you folks know. I should have went with all Herbies instead of going cheap. The Dayton Audio cones that came had broken box seal that the seller declined knowing off, had 2 staples that sealed the inside clear cover that the seller claimed never used, was dusty, and height adjust was as loose and rattling as it gets, and the foam pads are permanent, meaning I would need a new set of 8 foam pads with adhesive every time I haul my stuff for a move with the Schiits in their original foam and box, unless --oh wait, I don' thave to.. only the base is fixed.. haha. But still, herbies being more expensive, sounds way more trustworthy than this Dayton thing that you can find no review or information of, so they would  be the ultimate upgrade(tenderfoot looks solid but too generic comparing to the iso cups, and I checked, these cups are second generation with newer design and material. the older ones had clear cups.)

enough of rant, back to your request

why, do you have a table? if you have a table to check date I'll give you my date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back