Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #8,386 of 8,735
Quote:
Can't put my finger on what it is, but the Voskhod sound sig isn't right for me. Not wrong... but just not right. I'm very sad about that, since their price is so nice. But I'll keep them since there's no loss to do so. Systems (and ears) change over time.  Also, I'd like to try older than the 80's era I came across.

Currently, I'm torn between the CV2493 and the Siemens Cca. There I said it. I didn't want to, but others have piped up lately in here about the 2493 in here lately, so I figure it can't hurt now. I'd decided to stay very quiet about them.  
very_evil_smiley.gif
  I listened to them for a week and decided to go back to my beloved 'Cca'. Well, the experience was shocking... they quite possibly weren't my favourite anymore.

The /01/Cca/CV2493 60's Mullards or whatever you want to call them are so very different. Dark for certain...  but just fantastic. Accurate and revealing as any tube I've heard. But I'd love to graph out their response on a graph. They have to be notched out somewhere in the treble and if they didn't have that, I'd call it the endgame tube.

4109's? I'd have to sell some crap. I think I might be done for a while. The upscale Telefunkens haven't shown up yet, but I'm pretty eager.
smile.gif

I have to find a matched NOS pair those 1950s Tele CCa - that is game over - bank account empty! 

See if you can find the 75' V-Rockets - I previously said that I wasn't expecting  the VRs to beat the Siemens CCa Gray Shields - that has changed.  The detail and air on these is extraordinary.  Both my DACs are tubed - so the detail and air are wonderful with no sibilants or harshness at all.  I'm also using the Moon Black Dragon V2 cable on the HD800s.

But I've also rolled these in my tube hybrid integrated amps and one of my DACs.  The detail and air increased there as well .  And it's just not that...but this liquid flow to the music..captivating.  Now I'm trying to determine if the gray or silver shield '75s are best.  So far I'm liking the grays better - go figure.  I'm hoping and praying the '73s and/or '72s are even better!

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #8,390 of 8,735
Quote:
Well what do we have here? 
biggrin.gif

Now i know what you're thinking... Those look like russkies!

Well they are, i acquired them for only £12 and both test NOS on my tester, i don't think the seller knew quite what he had here.

And yes those are the long silver shields and look remarkably like Voskhod construction, they even sound like Voskhod silver shields 
popcorn.gif

The gold pins don't look right though, i'm guessing someone tarted up the pins and painted E88CC on them so make them more saleable, just a shame i'll never know what year they're from 
frown.gif

Freaking hilarious!!!   Yeah those invertered saucer getters were used on the very rare 1922 Amperexs...

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #8,391 of 8,735
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-6DJ8-6922-E88CC-Double-Triode-Tubes-Lot-of-4-Slightly-Used-TESTED-/221242526789?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3383150c45

Matching '73 date codes as well!

I thought you said 75-..-, how do you know the date anyways? do you have link to a document for date checking?

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #8,396 of 8,735
Quote:

During a brownout/power failure you don't have that sort of luxury. I just took it as warning, don't leave the Schiit on unattended, unless you don't care about parts.

I use a Furman Power conditioner   If I had the consistent brownout/power failures you describe in your area I would purchase a more advanced unit.

This began with a question about Not leaving your headphones plugged in while the Lyr is running.
Are you saying this is OK and why?

EDIT

Jack Elliano of Electra-Fidelity made custom output transformers for me.  He's been making them along with custom audiophile equipment for over 40 years.
Jack said "Don't run them without a load.  I'm going with him.

Now you could make a 100 ohm plus shunt for a 1/4" stereo plug and use that instead of headphones.  But I would put a load on it.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8,397 of 8,735
it saddens me to see that after I plugged in one of my two cryo platinum telefunkens from upscale in with visible all-9 slanted(slightly) pins because I thought if they double treated this tube and shipped it to me this way it shouldn't be a big deal  in their eyes unless they are freaking blind?

well it turnsr out it is, after I pulled them out the textbook lyr style, the non slanted tube was just as expected--usb gold plating last months on end, all my other gold pin tubes has shown no wear---------yet the slanted tube pins all got worn, What?

What!

I emailed them, I hope they act reasonably responsible citizens and not BS me with anthing like it's ok just use it it's no big deal the sound is not influenced--

I blew 300 on these!

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #8,399 of 8,735
Quote:
I use a Furman Power conditioner   If I had the consistent brownout/power failures you describe in your area I would purchase a more advanced unit.

This began with a question about Not leaving your headphones plugged in while the Lyr is running.
Are you saying this is OK and why?

EDIT

Jack Elliano of Electra-Fidelity made custom output transformers for me.  He's been making them along with custom audiophile equipment for over 40 years.
Jack said "Don't run them without a load.  I'm going with him.

Now you could make a 100 ohm plus shunt for a 1/4" stereo plug and use that instead of headphones.  But I would put a load on it.

Why not just a cheap $19 pr of full size headphones from Best buy, that's what I do

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #8,400 of 8,735
Been offered these mullards - prices are in $NZ so deduct around 25% for US

MULLARD MITCHUM CODES E88CC/CV2492 MILITARY GOLD PIN PAIR  $200.00

MULLARD BLACKBURN CODES ECC88/CV5383 MILITARY STANDARD PAIR $150.00

MULLARD BLACBURN CODES ECC88 /652 PAIR $100.00

trying to decide which to go for - all are matched pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back