Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,356 of 8,735

I now expect the 6N23P, thank you to those who recommended for this headphonet.
 One last thing: I do not understand why Schiit offers his amp with tubes not good. Sales would be better left to sell $ 20 more expensive ... but perhaps it is a matter of taste and headphones use.

I don't think the JJ E88CC that came with my Lyr are that bad. I find them to be very clear and accurate and they seem to be designed to produce a warm "tube sound". One of my biggest frustrations with the NOS tubes I get is that they are often veiled and not clear. I would say they are in my top 5 pairs.

The GE tubes are a total crapshoot though.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #8,359 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't think the JJ E88CC that came with my Lyr are that bad. I find them to be very clear and accurate and they seem to be designed to produce a warm "tube sound". One of my biggest frustrations with the NOS tubes I get is that they are often veiled and not clear. I would say they are in my top 5 pairs.

Surprising I understood in this thread that stock GE was better than stock JJ. And this is also what has understood me Jason Stoddard. Hmm I'm a little lost.

Anyway as you say that 6N23P are good, I feel they will please me, I look forward. Already, I appreciate the Siemens fine.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #8,360 of 8,735
Jul 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #8,361 of 8,735
Quote:
Why? (Briefly :))
I learn things here, I had never heard that.

[size=medium]Without a load, you can actually destroy an output transformers.  [/size]
[size=medium]Output transformers are not designed to run "open".[/size]

[size=medium]EDIT:  The transformer core heats up because the primary windings saturates the core when there is nothing on the secondary winding side, at least for OPT's[/size]

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #8,362 of 8,735
Quote:
Voskhod 6N23P sofar the best I found for Lyr HE-500. Will get a Gungnir in a few days, so this
with a Audio-gd 5.21.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Voskhod-6N23P-Matched-pairs-/190862713135?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item2c704de12f#ht_818wt_922

+1  I got some very sweet Holland Bugle Boys 1958 D Getters - the '75 Voskhods Grays and Silvers make mince meat of them in the Lyr, my Integrated amp and my DAC!  Just have to say the veils were lifted bigtime!

And just found some '73s Voskhods - they're on the way from freaking Moldovia!  And the '72s are in transit - they're somewhere between here and Siberia...should be here any month now.

I will do one massive review of the whole vast collection - once the dreaded burn-in is complete.  The East vs West in one massive shootout.  I have the SEL Lorentz PCC88, Philips SQ Holland halo getters 60s, 58' BB D Getters, the Siemens PC88 Gray Shields 60s, Amperex Orange Shield PQs  ---- against a whole horde of Russkies.

I have been listening to my HD800s every night for hours - never did that before.  Going through the old collect of CDs and SACDs on my hard drive  - the incredible detail of these tubes - and what bass extension!! And liquid, flowing mid-range. Yowzer!

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8,363 of 8,735
Quote:
Nice! Looking forward to it :)

And these are the correct/best ones to get (this is what I ordered): http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Voskhod-6N23P-Matched-pairs-/190862713135?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item2c704de12f#ht_676wt_1399

You have to careful with the Voskhods - the grid means little.  I covered this a few dozen pages ago - it's the shield that runs up to the getter post.  In the 1980 and 90s the best have been the silver shields.  Same goes for the 1979s. 

As for the '75s these are in a league all their own.  My experience is that both the Grays and Silver are great!

BTW - I was the bloke that started this Voskhod business several weeks ago...kinda got the bandwagon rolling.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7380#post_9462980
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7665#post_9528634

I think some folks are negative on this tube because they're listening to an inferior variant.  There is a lot of confusion surrounding the proper ones.

For the record 1979 and later  - you want the ones with the shiny shield.  These come with gray and silver grids, and the reverse - so the grid is not the determining factor its the long vertical shield/getter post.  Hard to tell from that seller ebay post.  Also earlier date code the better.  Be sure they' re Rocket labeled (Voskhod) with no dimble in the getter post (one piece with shield).

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8,364 of 8,735

Curious what your top 4 tubes are- did you ever receive Upscale's Telefunkens?

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #8,365 of 8,735
Quote:
Thank you for the answer, it is important to me ... But should you plug in headphones, I guess not?

I don't recommend leaving expensive headphones running unattended. I did it for a while, then realized a power failure + Lyr could have taken them out. I was lucky, since we seem to have momentary power outages in my neck of the woods quite often.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #8,366 of 8,735
Quote:
You have to careful with the Voskhods - the shield means little.  I covered this a few dozen pages ago - it the shield that runs up to the getter post.  In the 1980 and 90s the best have been the silver shields.  Same goes for the 1979s.  As for the '75s these are in a league all their own.

BTW - I was the bloke that started this Voskhod business several weeks ago...kinda got the bandwagon rolling.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7380#post_9462980
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/7665#post_9528634

I think some folks are negative on this tube because they're listen to an inferior variant.

For the record 1979 and later  - you want the ones with the shiny shield.  These come with gray and silver grids, and the reverse - so the grid is not the determining factor its the long vertical shield/getter post.  Hard to tell from that seller ebay post.  Also earlier date code the better.  Be sure they' re Rocket labeled (Voskhod) with no dimble in the getter post (one piece with shield).

what are v rockets, ? are those sold out ones by that UK guy(sorry can'[t remember your name off my head) on that ebay link of voskods (he said he is gonna get more) v rockets if you have looked into it?

are voskods only good with he500? what about akgs, senns, audio technicas?

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #8,368 of 8,735
@rb2013

Did your Siemens PCC88s come in? Mind did. The 60's halo version seem to be the same as the Siemens Cca, lacking only in sound stage by comparison. Just seems more intimate.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #8,370 of 8,735
Quote:

I don't recommend leaving expensive headphones running unattended. I did it for a while, then realized a power failure + Lyr could have taken them out. I was lucky, since we seem to have momentary power outages in my neck of the woods quite often.

that's sad to know. 

I think I have gone through one or two due to sudden thunderstorm. you know, blackout . I have no idea what it can do to my gears. Nothing good, cus I remember when I used to abuse my old PC by shutting down power from the outside frequently and the hard drive eventually started to fail. What's the story with headgears, I know they are all fragile and I know you can't plug in the lyr before the 20 second click because I have tried it in the early days when i don't know better or forgot what I read on the manual and got my ears raped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back