Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #8,312 of 8,735
Quote:
i got the silver shields as recommended on this thread for around $8 US each, he has some other voskhods too so will ask if he has those gray shields since your loving those. 

I had similar memorable experiences last night with the mullards - much more detail and bass than the stock tubes and so musical - my best listening experience so far in my 3-4 years in this hobby. And to think i have spent several thousands on SS amps and the $450 Lyr leaves them for dead. The way it gets the drivers moving on the HD800's is incredible, can feel the bass thuds in the ear cups as if its someone knocking on them with a big stick. 

Best part is that I have 3 more types of high end tubes on my desk to try but cant bring myself to remove the mullards just yet !!

+1  Yes when the ear cups are thudding, don't come a' knocking! 

What years did you get?

The later date gray shield Rockets (1980s and 1979) where not as good as their silver shield counterparts.  But these 1975s gray and silver are both extraordinary.  I'll post a larger review with pictures soon.  These suckers haven't even finished burning in yet!

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #8,313 of 8,735
Quote:

Would that have been my listing by any chance? I bought a load of used ones bulk and matched them up, were some very nice tubes in there.

From what i've learned so far, all the silver shields seem to sound the same to me, but i haven't heard the elusive 1975 silver shields yet.

I have a pair of 1978 with the long silver shield, and they seem to sound the same as silver shields from the early 80's but they aren't very well matched, but i keep them for myself because it's not a big issue for me to shift the balance left or right one notch in my soundcards control panel.

I've had a load of the long grey shields from the 70's, including a pair from 1975, can't say i was blown away to be honest, very good tube but i think the bass was not as tight as the silver shields, don't get me wrong they are a fantastic tube, just not the presentation that pairs well with all my gear.

Short grey shields from the 90's - 2000's i thought were completely un-remarkable, i thought there was a bit of harshness in the treble, and maybe a bit too much bass, bit of a V shape going on, some people might like it but it wasn't for me.

Take all this with a pinch of salt because the tubes were well used and only a small batch, might be some years in between that sound great and go against the grain of what i'm saying.

I've bought another load, 28 more tubes which i should have end of next week maybe, will have to wait and see what goodies i have in there, so i might be revising my impressions.

If you want to sell your '75s grays - let me know.  I'm a buyer.  I'll even trade some '79 silvers.  I'm truly astounded by these.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #8,315 of 8,735
Quote:
If you want to sell your '75s grays - let me know.  I'm a buyer.  I'll even trade some '79 silvers.  I'm truly astounded by these.

I let them go a few days ago, if i get any more in the new batch i'll let you know.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #8,316 of 8,735
Jebus Freaking Awesomesauce!!

The telefunkens +duomax dampers....OMG..

pristine as pristine can be. Everything is euphorically heavenly beautiful, like the first time you saw a girl that seem to come out of your dream

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #8,317 of 8,735
Were the ones Mercedesman had NOS?  He usually has tubes in pretty good shape, even if they're not NOS...

I predict you're gonna like them!  
beerchug.gif
They are NOS, direct from Mercedesman. Looking forward to the epic showdown:
OG's vs. USN-CEP's: Battle Of The Champions

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #8,318 of 8,735
Jebus Freaking Awesomesauce!!

The telefunkens +duomax dampers....OMG..

pristine as pristine can be. Everything is euphorically heavenly beautiful, like the first time you saw a girl that seem to come out of your dream

Are these the upscale Telefunkens? Mine should be here in a few days.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #8,319 of 8,735
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E88CC-CV2492-MULLARD-MILITARY-NOS-BOXED-/260577827114?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3caba6192a

is this price a little bit too much |? I heard tubemonger had them for 90 buck a pair, and this UK seller has sold 70 of these tubes at 50 pound each? What

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #8,321 of 8,735

Would that have been my listing by any chance? I bought a load of used ones bulk and matched them up, were some very nice tubes in there.

From what i've learned so far, all the silver shields seem to sound the same to me, but i haven't heard the elusive 1975 silver shields yet.

I have a pair of 1978 with the long silver shield, and they seem to sound the same as silver shields from the early 80's but they aren't very well matched, but i keep them for myself because it's not a big issue for me to shift the balance left or right one notch in my soundcards control panel.

I've had a load of the long grey shields from the 70's, including a pair from 1975, can't say i was blown away to be honest, very good tube but i think the bass was not as tight as the silver shields, don't get me wrong they are a fantastic tube, just not the presentation that pairs well with all my gear.

Short grey shields from the 90's - 2000's i thought were completely un-remarkable, i thought there was a bit of harshness in the treble, and maybe a bit too much bass, bit of a V shape going on, some people might like it but it wasn't for me.

Take all this with a pinch of salt because the tubes were well used and only a small batch, might be some years in between that sound great and go against the grain of what i'm saying.

I've bought another load, 28 more tubes which i should have end of next week maybe, will have to wait and see what goodies i have in there, so i might be revising my impressions.

I saw your ebay sale and I pm'd you here enquiring about the silver shields but you never replied ? I assumed you had sold them already or got too many messages !

the pair i bought are early 80's, not sure of exact year, will find out when i get them in a couple of days. At only $8 a pop I wasn't too fussed and they were within my country

Quote:

What years did you get?

The later date gray shield Rockets (1980s and 1979) where not as good as their silver shield counterparts.  But these 1975s gray and silver are both extraordinary.  I'll post a larger review with pictures soon.  These suckers haven't even finished burning in yet!

I dont know what year the mullards are - I'm still a noob with tubes and had no idea what year/s to borrow.

I was fortunate enough to make contact with a semi-retired, semi-amateur tube dealer who lives just 10mins away. Went to his house and he has boxes of vintage tubes for the lyr from the 6DJ8, ECC88, 7308, 6922 AND E88CC families . It was kid in the candy store time as I spotted all the famous makes and types of tubes written about on here. Being an old school character he loaned me 4 x pairs without any deposit or credit card - pretty unbelievable nowadays. Reckons only once in 30 years has he been let down and that was to a local 18 yr old who wanted a little dot tube. Whatever i keep I will get more details on and test results. He seemed to have a lot of mullards, what years/variants are the best ? 

Right now I have just popped in the Amperex PQ's, made in USA with orange lettering and gold pins.Too hard to read the date codes without a magnifying glass. First immediate impression is that they sound very light and clear compared to the mullards. Only been in for an hour so need another day at least to pick up on their finer characteristics. Seem like they may be good for classical or jazz !

edit: an hour later they sound completely different - much more full bodied - sounding very nice indeed - wish i had 2 x lyr's now so I could do quick comparisons

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #8,322 of 8,735
Hedphonz, my favorite Mullards are the CV2493 which are the 10,000 hour military version of the 6922. I have three sets in my collection (from the 60s, 70s, and 80s) and I prefer them "the older the better" as the saying goes.

IMO, they are different from the Amperex valves in that the Mullards have even more warmth in the mids which gives them a nice smooth "tubey" sound.

Can you describe the Mullards that the dealer loaned you? Halo getter, any markings, etc?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #8,323 of 8,735
Quote:

I saw your ebay sale and I pm'd you here enquiring about the silver shields but you never replied ? I assumed you had sold them already or got too many messages !

the pair i bought are early 80's, not sure of exact year, will find out when i get them in a couple of days. At only $8 a pop I wasn't too fussed and they were within my country

I dont know what year the mullards are - I'm still a noob with tubes and had no idea what year/s to borrow.

I was fortunate enough to make contact with a semi-retired, semi-amateur tube dealer who lives just 10mins away. Went to his house and he has boxes of vintage tubes for the lyr from the 6DJ8, ECC88, 7308, 6922 AND E88CC families . It was kid in the candy store time as I spotted all the famous makes and types of tubes written about on here. Being an old school character he loaned me 4 x pairs without any deposit or credit card - pretty unbelievable nowadays. Reckons only once in 30 years has he been let down and that was to a local 18 yr old who wanted a little dot tube. Whatever i keep I will get more details on and test results. He seemed to have a lot of mullards, what years/variants are the best ? 

Right now I have just popped in the Amperex PQ's, made in USA with orange lettering and gold pins.Too hard to read the date codes without a magnifying glass. First immediate impression is that they sound very light and clear compared to the mullards. Only been in for an hour so need another day at least to pick up on their finer characteristics. Seem like they may be good for classical or jazz !

edit: an hour later they sound completely different - much more full bodied - sounding very nice indeed - wish i had 2 x lyr's now so I could do quick comparisons

I was kind of refering to the Voskhods.  Yes European tube dates were an enigma - there are some posts here and Brent Jesse's website has some good info.

Nice thing about the Russian's glass - no mysterious decoding needed - date is stamped right on the front.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #8,324 of 8,735
Quote:
Hedphonz, my favorite Mullards are the CV2493 which are the 10,000 hour military version of the 6922. I have three sets in my collection (from the 60s, 70s, and 80s) and I prefer them "the older the better" as the saying goes.

IMO, they are different from the Amperex valves in that the Mullards have even more warmth in the mids which gives them a nice smooth "tubey" sound.

Can you describe the Mullards that the dealer loaned you? Halo getter, any markings, etc?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

how much did you pay for them?

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #8,325 of 8,735
Quote:

What years did you get?

Would you mind to post a link to they grey & silver tubes ?  Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back