Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8,285 of 8,735
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #8,286 of 8,735
Quote:
Curious.

When you are running your 85's, do you have to turn up the volume pot more?

To me, you would because the plate voltage for the 85's is much higher than the 88's.  This would be assuming the Lyr can't put 230V to the plate.

Most ECC85s that I've tried seem to run a bit louder, actually.   At spec, they've got a much higher Mu than the 6DJ8.

I just ran a quick test to substantiate what I think I've been hearing... not the most scientific test ever, but it'll do at 12:30am in a pinch.  :)   Lyr, volume at 9-o-clock, out to powered studio monitors, pink noise - Brimar ECC88s avg 88db volume.    Tungsram ECC85, 92db.

-Mike

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #8,287 of 8,735
Quote:

Most ECC85s that I've tried seem to run a bit louder, actually.   At spec, they've got a much higher Mu than the 6DJ8.

I just ran a quick test to substantiate what I think I've been hearing... not the most scientific test ever, but it'll do at 12:30am in a pinch.  :)   Lyr, volume at 9-o-clock, out to powered studio monitors, pink noise - Brimar ECC88s avg 88db volume.    Tungsram ECC85, 92db.

-Mike

thanks !
Yup  the mu is like  55

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #8,288 of 8,735
Jul 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #8,289 of 8,735
I am listening to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321150617155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and it's got crazy static like little sparkle of fire on a matchstick burning in the wind but it sounds like radio static too, so  just not piercing, it mostlly sounds like wind leaking from car window. I can even hear it when music plays. 
it becomes evident after 9-10 o clock on the lyr.

Is this normal? Am I to wait 50 hours on these before calling alert ? What could have caused it?

Also they are one of the few tubes that starts out very sensitive--kind of reminds me of the ver 1 stock tubes on lyr,

maybe this is one kind of the so called microphonics? 

I have these coming in and I will see if they fix the issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350817155962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140975796306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #8,290 of 8,735
Quote:
I am listening to this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321150617155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and it's got crazy static like little sparkle of fire on a matchstick burning in the wind but it sounds like radio static too, so  just not piercing, it mostlly sounds like wind leaking from car window. I can even hear it when music plays. 
it becomes evident after 9-10 o clock on the lyr.

Is this normal? Am I to wait 50 hours on these before calling alert ? What could have caused it?

That could be the tubes, or could just be that the pins need cleaning.

In a pinch, you can use a pencil eraser, give each pin 2-3 passes like follows.    Be careful to use the edge of the eraser so that it fits between the pins.   See if that clears it up for you.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #8,291 of 8,735
Quote:

That could be the tubes, or could just be that the pins need cleaning.

In a pinch, you can use a pencil eraser, give each pin 2-3 passes like follows.    Be careful to use the edge of the eraser so that it fits between the pins.   See if that clears it up for you.

you mean stick it inside? would a regular utility knife edge suffice?

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #8,292 of 8,735
Quote:

Talk to mercedesman first.
He'll make it right.

EDIT.

I have a set of them too.  Mine are microphonic but it doesn't effect the sound while I am listening.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #8,293 of 8,735
Quote:
Talk to mercedesman first.
He'll make it right.

EDIT.

I have a set of them too.  Mine are microphonic but it doesn't effect the sound while I am listening.

yeah it's so low pitched and gentle, even if I hear it during music it's less annoying than vinyl noise, and quiter.

the ver,1 stock tubes on the other hand, NIGHTMARE.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #8,294 of 8,735
Quote:
Question for you guys, how well does the HD800 perform on the Lyr? Any particular tubes that make it stand-out?

i asked the same question a couple of weeks ago just before I bought my Lyr and I think 6 moons sums it up perfectly

unless you've heard the HD800 over the Lyr you've not yet met the real McCoy. Everything the Sennheiser does naturally well remains untouched—soundstage illumination and stage size, speed, high resolution—but where it is traditionally weaker—bass power, body, fleshiness, saturation—gets royally kicked in the arse and up a few 
very
 obvious notches. At $449 the Lyr is simply a must audition for any HD800 lover or 
considerateur
. "

just received 4 sets of the better tubes recommended on this thread on free appro today - amperex pq's, bugle boys, telefunkens, mullards and have the matsu****a's and voskhods ordered and coming next week.

Listening to the mullards right now and its what 6 moons say x 2 - just beautiful - may the journey begin !!

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #8,295 of 8,735
Yes, stick the pins into the eraser. When I say the edge, I don't mean the metal band, I mean close to the edge of the rubber. Doesn't seem like it would do much, but it does a good job of cleaning them. It's an old trick my grandfather taught me many years ago.

Over time, the pins will oxidize, can get dirty, and won't make the best contact with the socket. It's not a bad idea to get into the habit of checking/cleaning the pins on any tubes you buy that aren't brand new production.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back