Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 443  

post #6631 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post

So much for holding off and letting the bank balance recover before buying some more tubes for my new Lyr.....just had an offer accepted on a pair of 1961 Bugle Boys! Thanks again for the recommendation nelamvr6 - looking forward to trying them out biggrin.gif

 

I was warned not to enter this thread. I can see why some of the guys said it was a slippery slope as I've only gone and bought a pair of the Brimar 6BQ7A ilikepooters mentioned too. Due to the low value they should be customs friendly and they sounded interesting, so I figured why not?

 

The mad thing is I've only used the stock GE's for about 12 hours and I already have 2 more sets in the post.....the GE's actually sound pretty good to my ears once they've warmed up. Out of interest how much burn in time do they usually need before they're at their best?

 

Burn in time can vary, some people think 100-200 hours for complete burn in, but on those Brimar you bought i noticed a big change with just 12 hours of burn in, i just left them over night playing pink noise on some old junk headphones. They started off muddy, harsh treble and pretty congested, but everything opened up, should get better with more hours on them.

 

Voskhod 6N1P opened right up after an overnight burn in session, wish i hadn't given them away now. My Mullard 6BQ7A (fakes) sound spectacular after only 18 hours of burn in.

post #6632 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

I found a motherlode of free tube related literature tonight for anyone interested.

 

http://www.tubebooks.org/

 

I feel like I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks with this page - http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm.

Awesome!  Thanks!

post #6633 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellofund View Post

So much for holding off and letting the bank balance recover before buying some more tubes for my new Lyr.....just had an offer accepted on a pair of 1961 Bugle Boys! Thanks again for the recommendation nelamvr6 - looking forward to trying them out biggrin.gif

 

I was warned not to enter this thread. I can see why some of the guys said it was a slippery slope as I've only gone and bought a pair of the Brimar 6BQ7A ilikepooters mentioned too. Due to the low value they should be customs friendly and they sounded interesting, so I figured why not?

 

The mad thing is I've only used the stock GE's for about 12 hours and I already have 2 more sets in the post.....the GE's actually sound pretty good to my ears once they've warmed up. Out of interest how much burn in time do they usually need before they're at their best?

It's my pleasure!  Be sure to let us know what you think!  beerchug.gif

post #6634 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

Burn in time can vary, some people think 100-200 hours for complete burn in, but on those Brimar you bought i noticed a big change with just 12 hours of burn in, i just left them over night playing pink noise on some old junk headphones. They started off muddy, harsh treble and pretty congested, but everything opened up, should get better with more hours on them.

 

Voskhod 6N1P opened right up after an overnight burn in session, wish i hadn't given them away now. My Mullard 6BQ7A (fakes) sound spectacular after only 18 hours of burn in.

I agree, at least the most dramatic changes seem to take place after around 20 hours.  Changes after that seem to me to be more subtle.  But that's probably not true in all cases either.

post #6635 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

I found a motherlode of free tube related literature tonight for anyone interested.

 

http://www.tubebooks.org/

 

I feel like I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks with this page - http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm.

ding ding ding ding

"winner, winner, chicken dinner !"

Thanks Tos

 

Also,  I very much like this site:  "National Valve Museum"

This is a link to the Valve Technology Article.

The article explains how diode, triode, pentode valves work.

Explains how mu is calculated, etc.

If the tech is overwhelming, look at the illustrations.  You can pick up the general idea from the graphs.

The explanations are good. The site also contains many valve amplifier designs.

 

I liked it so much, I bought the DVD of the site.

post #6636 of 8735

Oh. My. Word...

 

 

 

Only been a couple of hours of burn-in, but i couldn't resist having a listen, i'm too impatient.

 

Without a doubt, this is the most amazing sound i've ever heard.

 

For those that can't see the labels properly, these are Lorenz ECC85's made in Stuttgart, Germany.

 

What i'm getting first of all is the bass, nice and warm sounding but no overwhelming all the other frequencies. The mids? Oh those mids... I think i now know what "lush" means when referring to mids, vocals and guitar sound the best i've ever heard them through my Lyr. Treble? smooooothe! width and depth is above average, detail is impressive. I can't wait to see if they open up more with another 12 hours or so of burn-in.

 

I don't know why more people don't roll the ECC85's, especially considering how cheap they are.

post #6637 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Oh. My. Word...

 

 

 

Only been a couple of hours of burn-in, but i couldn't resist having a listen, i'm too impatient.

 

Without a doubt, this is the most amazing sound i've ever heard.

 

For those that can't see the labels properly, these are Lorenz ECC85's made in Stuttgart, Germany.

 

What i'm getting first of all is the bass, nice and warm sounding but no overwhelming all the other frequencies. The mids? Oh those mids... I think i now know what "lush" means when referring to mids, vocals and guitar sound the best i've ever heard them through my Lyr. Treble? smooooothe! width and depth is above average, detail is impressive. I can't wait to see if they open up more with another 12 hours or so of burn-in.

 

I don't know why more people don't roll the ECC85's, especially considering how cheap they are.


Is this working on Lyr?  I thought ONLY Ecc88, most of ending with 88 works.  NOT something like 85.

 

THanks

post #6638 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post


Is this working on Lyr?  I thought ONLY Ecc88, most of ending with 88 works.  NOT something like 85.

 

THanks

Yes.

 

There are a lot of analogs of ECC88 with same pin-out that work in Lyr.

 

This is a list i made of tubes known to work in Lyr.

 

6BZ7/6BQ7A/ECC180
6N1P/6N1P-VI/6N1P-EV/6N1P-EB

6N2P (possibly)
6N23P/6N23P-EV
6DJ8
7DJ8
6922
7308
CCa
E88CC
ECC88
ECC85
E188CC
E288CC
PCC88
ECC189 (Variable mu, not recommended but sound great to me)
PCC189 (as above)
6CG7/6FQ7

 

There are probably more, but i'm no expert.


Edited by ilikepooters - 4/22/13 at 12:01pm
post #6639 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Yes.

 

There are a lot of analogs of ECC88 with same pin-out that work in Lyr.

 

This is a list i made of tubes known to work in Lyr.

 

6BZ7/6BQ7A/ECC180
6N1P/6N1P-VI/6N1P-EV/6N1P-EB

6N2P (possibly)
6N23P/6N23P-EV
6DJ8
7DJ8
6922
7308
CCa
E88CC
ECC88
ECC85
E188CC
E288CC
PCC88
ECC189 (Variable mu, not recommended but sound great to me)
PCC189 (as above)
6CG7/6FQ7

 

There are probably more, but i'm no expert.


Ok....Gracias! wink_face.gif

post #6640 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceleratus View Post

ding ding ding ding

"winner, winner, chicken dinner !"

Thanks Tos

 

Also,  I very much like this site:  "National Valve Museum"

This is a link to the Valve Technology Article.

The article explains how diode, triode, pentode valves work.

Explains how mu is calculated, etc.

If the tech is overwhelming, look at the illustrations.  You can pick up the general idea from the graphs.

The explanations are good. The site also contains many valve amplifier designs.

 

I liked it so much, I bought the DVD of the site.

Thanks, those links are awesome too! beerchug.gif

post #6641 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

Oh. My. Word...

 

 

 

Only been a couple of hours of burn-in, but i couldn't resist having a listen, i'm too impatient.

 

Without a doubt, this is the most amazing sound i've ever heard.

 

For those that can't see the labels properly, these are Lorenz ECC85's made in Stuttgart, Germany.

 

What i'm getting first of all is the bass, nice and warm sounding but no overwhelming all the other frequencies. The mids? Oh those mids... I think i now know what "lush" means when referring to mids, vocals and guitar sound the best i've ever heard them through my Lyr. Treble? smooooothe! width and depth is above average, detail is impressive. I can't wait to see if they open up more with another 12 hours or so of burn-in.

 

I don't know why more people don't roll the ECC85's, especially considering how cheap they are.

 

 

Schweet!  I'll have to see about getting some...  beerchug.gif

post #6642 of 8735

Are the ECC85s easier to find than the other Lorenz?

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #6643 of 8735

My good friend Matt is sometimes behind the times on accessories... but he does have good ears.

 

I went with Schiit's suggestion of using duck tape to pull the tubes until my wife suggested using a surgical glove. I can't believe she offered that tidbit since she doesn't have any thing to do with my audio equipment. But, it is superb in pulling those little hot beauties... sure grip. And, they don't leave tape residue that hot tubes attract from duck tape.

 

War Eagle, Matt!
 

post #6644 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post

Are the ECC85s easier to find than the other Lorenz?

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

 

 

Apparently not!  I did an eBay search for  Lorenze ecc85 Stuttgart, there weren't too many hits...

post #6645 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooks View Post

My good friend Matt is sometimes behind the times on accessories... but he does have good ears.

 

I went with Schiit's suggestion of using duck tape to pull the tubes until my wife suggested using a surgical glove. I can't believe she offered that tidbit since she doesn't have any thing to do with my audio equipment. But, it is superb in pulling those little hot beauties... sure grip. And, they don't leave tape residue that hot tubes attract from duck tape.

 

War Eagle, Matt!
 

 

 

Great idea! 

 

These work really well also:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-EH-Tube-Glove/dp/B000UMCLIC

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread