Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,911 of 8,735

Quote:
Hey guys, I am going to pick up a lyr soon and was wondering on what the consensus was as to which tubes pair the best with an HE-500.  Any input would be greatly appreciated

Siemens CCa, Valvo red label, Lorenz - They seem to be the best.

The Amperex USN 7308's are very good too.

I went through this recently and thanks to some great, friendly advice (Mr Scary to name but one) got the answer to the very same question....

I now have the CCa's in my amp and am very happy with them. I also have the HE500's

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #2,912 of 8,735
Hello guys, Valiente here, may I ask too what tubes is best for K701 or 702? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,913 of 8,735
Hello guys, Valiente here, may I ask too what tubes is best for K701 or 702? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!
biggrin.gif

The tubes that I look for with my k701 balance it out a bit, so if you find the 701 to be detailed and bright(like me) a warm tube with relaxed highs might compliment it well. Such tubes that i have found to do this are the mullards and amperex orange globe 6dj8. Also if you have the $ an amperex 7308 would be a good choice. This is just my opinion and you might be looking for a whole different sound signature. Hope this helps

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,915 of 8,735

Quote:

Each brand of tube has a certain sonic signature.

What is "best" will always be subjective.

Perhaps if you state what genre of music you prefer, someone out here could give you a hand.

To an extent, I completely agree but the fact is that some tubes are just plain inferior to others. After weeding out the junk, it's possible to really refine which tube works the best to your musical tastes combined with your equipment. 
The tube rolling rollercoaster is a pleasure for some, nauseatingly expensive waste for others.

The good news is that the tubes used in the Lyr are very popular, so, even if you buy a set you don't like you can usually sell for what you paid (as long as you didn't pay too much in the first place.)

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,917 of 8,735
e good news is that the tubes used in the Lyr are very popular, so, even if you buy a set you don't like you can usually sell for what you paid (as long as you didn't pay too much in the first place." ...or,you can send them back ,as with this
seller 
        http://stores.ebay.com/TUBEHUNTER/_i.html?_fsub=3293609015

I've ordered a few tubes from him..and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,918 of 8,735
Got through reading a pages of this thread and thought I would just ask:

Received the Lyr; music sounds better, but I am losing that detail I had with the M1HPA when paired with the HD800. 

Track 7 of Open Your Ears, the handclaps just aren't as detailed/lifelike. 

I want the rich sound of the Lyr, but also the exacting detail of the M1HPA. Would changes tubes help? 

I am using the M1DAC right now and will probably try out the Bifrost soon if that makes a difference.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,919 of 8,735
The Bifrost is excellent with the HD800. The Lyr is definitely the bottleneck in my current chain but any issue with the sound going through to the HD800 is somewhat alleviated with the right tubes. The Amperex Bugle Boys are it.

It's astounding how the HD800 highlights the different qualities of the tubes I have on hand. I've not rolled through thousands of dollars worth of tubes like others, but the Bugles at the end of my chain help to produce the most transparent, musical and convincing sound. There isn't a glaring flaw that makes me think of the next upgrade. In fact it makes me question my plans to upgrade.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,922 of 8,735
The Bifrost is excellent with the HD800. The Lyr is definitely the bottleneck in my current chain but any issue with the sound going through to the HD800 is somewhat alleviated with the right tubes. The Amperex Bugle Boys are it.

It's astounding how the HD800 highlights the different qualities of the tubes I have on hand. I've not rolled through thousands of dollars worth of tubes like others, but the Bugles at the end of my chain help to produce the most transparent, musical and convincing sound. There isn't a glaring flaw that makes me think of the next upgrade. In fact it makes me question my plans to upgrade.

Do you like them with the lcd2 as well?

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,924 of 8,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

Do you like them with the lcd2 as well?

Yeah but I find the Orange Globes or Stuttgarts a better match for the rev.2.

Quote:
Quote:

The S&H CCa or the Lorenz would probably sound amazing with the HD800.

I don't like the Lorenz as much. The vocals with the Stuttgarts sound slightly recessed compared to the Bugles with the HD800, and the upper registers aren't as smooth or extended. There's more space between elements with the Bugles, better imaging as a result and wider dynamic range.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2,925 of 8,735

Don't you just hate that when you like your rig so much that you question the need to upgrade further! I am like that with my portable rig at present and am wondering why I would want to buy a new portable amp. I have almost contemplated just spending the spare coin on the Schiit intermediate amp and dac and use that as my bedroom system instead of the Lyr and bifrost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back