Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #391 of 8,735
Totally agree. I am now super happy with my HE-6 + Lyr with 6N23P. I def wouldn't have bought it if it was $949 or even $749. 

Quote:

Good question! 

Our answer starts with our philosophy: we bring extremely high-value products to you though good engineering, simple construction, and complete standardization. We don't offer color options, tube options, tweak options, etc--because we'd have to charge about 1.5-2x the cost to consult with everyone about what the best configuration is.

For complete standardization, we need (a) new production tubes, (b) reliable, consistent supply, and (c) reasonable cost. The two tubes that meet this criteria for a product at Lyr's price point are the EH 6922 and the JJ E88CC. We ended up choosing the JJ E88CCs because, in our testing and listening, they were more consistent than the EH tubes, and they sounded very good for their price point, when matched with a modern curve tracer. 

Are there better tubes out there? Sure. Are the JJs garbage? Not at all. 

Raise the price to, say, $949, and lots of other options open up. But think most people would like a $449 Lyr rather than a $949 Lyr. 

Speaking of which, perhaps a better question may be why JJs are used in amps that cost 6-8x as much as ours.

May 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #393 of 8,735
Well I got my 60's vintage 6N23P's in today. My initial impressions are they sound like 6N23P's the only difference I could detect was a slightly warmer top end but all in all they are 6N23P's less sound stage than my multi cryo 6N23P's not by much hahaha but I guess I have to somehow validate spending the extra money for the cryo's

May 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #394 of 8,735
I am looking forward to trying one of my favorites, the Seimens 6922. 

May 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #397 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:
Will be interesting if their DAC's offer as great value as their amps do. Currently loving my NFB-2 anyway.
Ordered some 6N23P's for my Lyr, $50 for 4 off ebay. Never rolled tubes before, I can see myself getting addicted soon though

hope you got matched tubes the sound difference will be an awakening

Is their actually much difference between a matched pair and non-matched pair?

May 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #398 of 8,735

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I got the Muti-Cryo treated 6N23P's this evening I'm running them now and I hate to say it but I was wrong the cryo treatment does do something to the tube. The bass is more defined and warmer the mids are smooth and the treble is not sibilant as is a tad with non- broken in 6N23P's... They sound allot more like the Amperex White Label's. I did a right left test of the 80's 6N23p's against the Cryo treated tubes and the Cryo's do sound better.. So whatever they are doing the cryo treatment is a sell for me. Im going to burn them in for several days to see if the sound changes but I am impressed. Just not for the prices that they charge..

Well I got my 60's vintage 6N23P's in today. My initial impressions are they sound like 6N23P's the only difference I could detect was a slightly warmer top end but all in all they are 6N23P's less sound stage than my multi cryo 6N23P's not by much hahaha but I guess I have to somehow validate spending the extra money for the cryo's

So which is it, after all the burn-in you had on your multi-cryos do you feek it's the soundstage that sets them apart, or tonality? Both? If it's just the soundstage and by not much at that I think I could live with cheaper pairs from ebay... But otherwise less sibilance and more warmth/smoothness, I do like :D

May 14, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #399 of 8,735

Quote:

So which is it, after all the burn-in you had on your multi-cryos do you feek it's the soundstage that sets them apart, or tonality? Both? If it's just the soundstage and by not much at that I think I could live with cheaper pairs from ebay... But otherwise less sibilance and more warmth/smoothness, I do like :D

My recommedation is the cyro set they are new number one you never know what you are getting from ebay I have already been burned this last week on there.. The major difference is sound stage the cyro's have a much larger sound stage to them but I don't even have 100 hours on the cyro's yet
so my final feeling on them is not complete... IMHO if you can find a good matched set on ebay for 30.00 go for it if you dont want to wait forever to get them from Russia just spend the 50.00 and get the cryo set.. All in all the soundstage is what sets them apart they are not that different in tonality

May 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #400 of 8,735

Quote:
My recommedation is the cyro set they are new number one you never know what you are getting from ebay I have already been burned this last week on there.. The major difference is sound stage the cyro's have a much larger sound stage to them but I don't even have 100 hours on the cyro's yet
so my final feeling on them is not complete... IMHO if you can find a good matched set on ebay for 30.00 go for it if you dont want to wait forever to get them from Russia just spend the 50.00 and get the cryo set.. All in all the soundstage is what sets them apart they are not that different in tonality

How big is your sample set that allows you to come to these conclusions?

May 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #402 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
How big is your sample set that allows you to come to these conclusions?

Funny, you're a funny guy

It was a serious question, with tongue in cheek.  Your experience with extremely small sample sizes may or may not translate to someone else trying the same type of tube in their rigs.  Just wanted to wake people up so they realize that their expectations may differ from their realizations.

May 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #403 of 8,735
It was a serious question, with tongue in cheek.  Your experience with extremely small sample sizes may or may not translate to someone else trying the same type of tube in their rigs.  Just wanted to wake people up so they realize that their expectations may differ from their realizations.

quite a few people have used and tried the 23's in this forum and have been happy with them. If we have some charts for voting and comparison here on Head-fi that would be nice then we could get some statistics. I think that everyone in a tube rolling thread knows that they may or may not
get the expected results just like in any of the forums here on Head-fi. I understand your point that's why we have been tube rolling and giving our feedback.

May 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #404 of 8,735
Good points made by posters.  The cryoset 6N23Ps are now my preferred tubes for the Lyr but had I not burned them in for 100 hours I would have said the Gold Lions were my favorite.  To give the 6N1P sold by Schiit some credit, I didn't burn them for 100 hours before concluding they were not as good as the Gold Lions or 6N23Ps, which just sounded better right from the start.  Maybe the 6N1P deserve a 2nd chance when I can just run them for a long time.  

Anywho, keep those tube suggestions coming.

May 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #405 of 8,735

Quote:
Good points made by posters.  The cryoset 6N23Ps are now my preferred tubes for the Lyr but had I not burned them in for 100 hours I would have said the Gold Lions were my favorite.  To give the 6N1P sold by Schiit some credit, I didn't burn them for 100 hours before concluding they were not as good as the Gold Lions or 6N23Ps, which just sounded better right from the start.  Maybe the 6N1P deserve a 2nd chance when I can just run them for a long time.  

Anywho, keep those tube suggestions coming.

I have some Valvo CCA very rare coming as well as some Seimens tubes probably be a couple weeks I know Jamato8 already has his so we should get his feelings on the tubes soon as he gets his Lyr..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back