Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #406 of 8,735
Quote:
How big is your sample set that allows you to come to these conclusions?

1226...give or take 1220...
wink_face.gif

The biggest problem with basing decisions on large sample sets is logistics.  I ain't that rich.
biggrin.gif

Also, in a case where the results will be subjective and each of our ears (and sound preferences) differ, rolling a large sample set may be moot if your ears and tastes prefer the sound quality generated by Golden Lions, while I might roll every brand of tube I can get and decide that the Cryo 6N23Ps are the best.  My "results" wouldn't necessarily apply to you.  All we can really do is post our impressions and, if they are strong enough, possibly encourage someone else to give them a try.  I do agree that making definitive statements on whether one tube is better than all others is probably not "proper", but that hasn't stopped the commercial polling agencies from using 1000-person polls to make definitive statements for the entire population of the country.
tongue.gif

I agree that a large sample set would apply if you were trying to obtain objective results based on measurable characteristics of a tubes output.  However, I don't think it is improper to say that "for me, 6N23P tubes are the best sounding tubes I have tried"...and then fully expect somebody to post right back and say "that's because you haven't tried XXXXX tubes yet".

I guess what I am trying to say is "Ya go with what ya know", then wait for someone here to introduce you to something "better"...like MrScary did for me and the 6N23Ps (I was formally sold on the Gold Lion sound).  I think the poll idea for this thread is great.  It won't tell what tube is best, but will give an idea what the majority of participants are listening to.

All in Fun
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

May 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #407 of 8,735
1226...give or take 1220...
wink_face.gif

The biggest problem with basing decision on large sample sets is logistics.  I ain't that rich.
biggrin.gif

Also, in a case where the results will be subjective and each of our ears (and sound preferences) differ, rolling a large sample set may be moot if your ears and tastes prefer the sound quality generated by Golden Lions, while I might roll every brand of tube I can get and decide that the Cryo 6N23Ps are the best.  My "results" wouldn't necessarily apply to you.  All we can really do is post our impressions and, if they are strong enough, possibly encourage someone else to give them a try.  I do agree that making definitive statements on whether one tube is better than all others is probably not "proper", but that hasn't stopped the commercial polling agencies from using 1000-person polls to make definitive statements for the entire population of the country.
tongue.gif

I agree that a large sample set would apply if you were trying to obtain objective results based on measurable characteristics of a tubes output.  However, I don't think it is improper to say that "for me, 6N23P tubes are the best sounding tubes I have tried"...and then fully expect somebody to post right back and say "that's because you haven't tried XXXXX tubes yet".

I guess what I am trying to say is "Ya go with what ya know", then wait for someone here to introduce you to something "better"...like MrScary did for me and the 6N23Ps (I was formally sold on the Gold Lion sound).  I think the poll idea for this thread is great.  It won't tell what tube is best, but will give an idea what the majority of participants are listening to.

All in Fun
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Yeah where are the polls on Head-fi? you want stats we can give them to you

May 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #409 of 8,735
LiqTenExp and I settled on the 60's Mullard CV2492, as the best tubes out of the bunch I have.

Which are: Telefunken E88C, Siemens E88C, Amperex Orange Label A-Frame, Amperex Bugle Boy.  I came to my conclusion with a few hours of listening and the Lyr.  LiqTenExp, actually owns the Lyr I don't.  So take that for what its worth.

May 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #411 of 8,735
No, just the ones I listed and the stock JJs.

May 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #414 of 8,735
I've been looking for the Mullards, but they seem to be pretty rare, and the few sets I have seen are going for way more than I'd pay.

Quote:
Have anyone tried both the 60's Mullard CV2492 and the super cryo 6N23P?

May 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #415 of 8,735
An Lyr tube polling thread would be fun, but the variables are virtually limitless, the only constant being the Lyr.

I've rolled in the stock JJ's, of course, Gold Lions, 6N1P (two different sets), and currently the 6N23P's.  At this juncture I'd have to give the edge to the latter, although I will admit the burn-in time has not been equitable for all sets.

I've also looked for the Mullards, holy snikes, not only are they rare, a bank robbery may be in order.

P.S. MrScary, you're starting to scare me with your tube rolling OCD.
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #416 of 8,735
An Lyr tube polling thread would be fun, but the variables are virtually limitless, the only constant being the Lyr.

I've rolled in the stock JJ's, of course, Gold Lions, 6N1P (two different sets), and currently the 6N23P's.  At this juncture I'd have to give the edge to the latter, although I will admit the burn-in time has not been equitable for all sets.

I've also looked for the Mullards, holy snikes, not only are they rare, a bank robbery may be in order.

wink_face.gif

Yeah I paid over a 100.00 each for the two sets I have coming in next the seimens and the Valvo CA's after that its the Mullards.

May 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #417 of 8,735

wink_face.gif

Yeah I paid over a 100.00 each for the two sets I have coming in next the seimens and the Valvo CA's after that its the Mullards.

See now you made me go look for the Mullards the OCD is kicking in

May 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #418 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wink_face.gif

See now you made me go look for the Mullards the OCD is kicking in

Put your hands up, and back away from the tubes!

May 15, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #419 of 8,735
Hopefully next week I'll be getting some 80's plain 6N23P's that MrScary sold me. I'll report back what I think of them.     I  think I will say I don't like them just to go against the flock.  
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
No, just the ones I listed and the stock JJs.

Quote:
I've been looking for the Mullards, but they seem to be pretty rare, and the few sets I have seen are going for way more than I'd pay.

Ok thanks.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

You know what they say - The tube is always greener on the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back