Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #436 of 8,735

Quote:
You can get them from ebay or from cryo they cryo freeze the tubes its suppose to give a larger soundstage that which I can vouch for now that they are breaking in. I would recommend the cryo's number one you will get them quicker than from bulgaria and they cryo treat them
Just to give you my thoughts I sold my Gold Lions after I got the 23's. Hope this helps

here are some links for ya

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6N23p&osCsid=9b11e7202386f3e9ae28427b9ae31e3b&x=0&y=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/TESTED-MATCHED-PAIR-6N23P-NOS-70s-TUBES-6DJ8-E88CC-/350462264417?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item51992dc461

So there's no confusion, the tubes offered by Cryoset were manufactured in the Reflector Saratov plant, the eBay tubes are Voshkod, manufactured in Kaloga City Russia.  Both military spec but made in two different places.

May 15, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #437 of 8,735
Very detailed, you can hear a person breathing if recorded right. The amp really needs to burn in though. Caps settle etc. but the Seimens are nice, musical, as I remember them. A slight upper mid tilt, right now, which means nothing as they are NOS and need time. I wish I had my hands on my stock of 6DJ8 types. I have everything one could want in storage. 

Cool thanks mine should be here in a couple weeks..

May 16, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #438 of 8,735
Got my 80's comie 6N23P's which were already burned in. Thumbs up, same forward sound as the 6N1P, but more smooth, more body in the sound. And more bass. Vocals are not as thin sounding as with the 6N1P. Great success. 

May 16, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #439 of 8,735
I am enjoying the 6N1P EV gold grid. Nice tube even though it is from the 80's and I normally don't like the 80's 6N1P. The Lyr still needs to burn in though. 

May 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #440 of 8,735
Right now my favorite tube is the. . . . 6BZ7, which costs a few dollars. I have always liked the tube and only tried it because I got a bunch of NOS RCA's in a tube lot I bought on ebay years ago. I wasn't familiar with it and just set them aside, about 20 or 25. Then I read up on them and popped them into a dac I built that can use 6DJ8 types and wow. It is throwing a large soundstage and everything is separated extremely well with no smearing or bloating of the imaging. 

I am using the LCD-2 and enjoying them with the Lyr. 

May 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #441 of 8,735
Right now my favorite tube is the. . . . 6BZ7, which costs a few dollars. I have always liked the tube and only tried it because I got a bunch of NOS RCA's in a tube lot I bought on ebay years ago. I wasn't familiar with it and just set them aside, about 20 or 25. Then I read up on them and popped them into a dac I built that can use 6DJ8 types and wow. It is throwing a large soundstage and everything is separated extremely well with no smearing or bloating of the imaging. 

Cool another new set of tubes to try :wink:

May 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #442 of 8,735

Cool another new set of tubes to try :wink:

Soon as you said with LCD-2's I got giddy I don't have the HE6's yet that's next month this is one of the cheaper rolls.. Thanks :wink:

May 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #443 of 8,735
Oh wow, the 6BZ7 and LCD-2 sound really good with classical. The Bach Brandenburg Concertos are fine. The violins are sweet and there is very good imaging. A huge stage and this is with the LCD-2. Very 3D. I do pose the caveat though that my amp is not burned in and what I hear now could change tomorrow to a degree. 

May 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #444 of 8,735
Who bought the matched RCA 6BZ7 pair on ebay I was about to pull the trigger on?
mad.gif

May 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #445 of 8,735
I've' been listening some more to the 6N23P's.. They really rock and should be mandatory for all Lyr owners.

Jamato, how do you like those 6BZ7's with your HE-6? It's good to hear it's a cheap tube. 

MrScary, you'll love the HE-6 I'm sure. I wish I could hear the LCD-2 sometime. 

I wonder if ebay will have any tubes left when we're done with this thread... :)

May 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #447 of 8,735
The 6BZ7s and 6N23P tubes want me to buy them, but I already have six sets of tubes for the Lyr and my Russian 6N1Ps are still due in...don't know that I can really justify more when both the Amperex and Brimar tubes sound spot-on for me.

May 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #449 of 8,735

[size=medium]

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't tried the Seimens yet. I am enjoying the gold grid 6N1P, very nice. I am using the HE-6 which sound very full now. I can see that the case of the Lyr is a heat sink. This isn't uncommon but this sucker does get warm. 

Yeah especially with the 6N23P's you can fry your eggs on it

The 6N1P's runs hotter than the 6N23P's though.  

[/size]

May 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #450 of 8,735
Sounds mighty interesting, how would you compare the 6BZ7s to the 6N23Ps you have tried? TIA!

Quote:
Listening to the 1964 6N23P, nice. Since I have listened to the amp now for maybe 45 minutes I have no real opinion on tubes but the stock sound pretty good. The amp needs to burn in and I think this is some of what people are attributing initial tube sound to. After that it is all tube if it is new tubes added to the sound. This is one heavy person. I have to open it up and look around. I hope that doesn't void the warranty. :^0

I just popped in some RCA 6BZ7's for fun (they preceded the 6DJ8 and were used in TV's a lot and are cheap, a couple of dollars). 

I just got my adapter made yesterday for the 1/4 to the balanced plugs on my phones so everything worked out. I will listen to the gold grid 6N1P's but really everything needs to settle in. 

All the tubes and amp have to burn in but the 6N1P gold grid sound very nice with blues. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back