Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #377 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
Whoa is me, no Schiit DAC news.
confused.gif

I wonder if they are going to have different dac's at different price points or just one?

There's a ton of speculation, one thing is a sure bet, there will be multiple DAC's and after owning the Lyr, I'll be proud to own a Schiit DAC.

May 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #378 of 8,735
Will be interesting if their DAC's offer as great value as their amps do. Currently loving my NFB-2 anyway.
Ordered some 6N23P's for my Lyr, $50 for 4 off ebay. Never rolled tubes before, I can see myself getting addicted soon though

May 13, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #379 of 8,735
Will be interesting if their DAC's offer as great value as their amps do. Currently loving my NFB-2 anyway.
Ordered some 6N23P's for my Lyr, $50 for 4 off ebay. Never rolled tubes before, I can see myself getting addicted soon though

hope you got matched tubes the sound difference will be an awakening

May 13, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #380 of 8,735
Lyr in the house! Will refrain from posting impressions for now, other than how solid this amp is. Great build quality and is much smaller than I anticipated (bonus). Can't wait to start rolling tubes!

May 13, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #382 of 8,735
I'm getting some very faint static in the right channel. Hopefully it subsides as the tubes warm up. There's more travel on the volume dial on the Lyr for the HD650 than on the Fun. I like that.

May 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #384 of 8,735
Huge thanks to MrScary. finally received 6N23P-EV from Russia yesterday. i just ordered a regular pair from eBay. nothing fancy here. The first impression is just great. When i changed from stock JJ to Schiit's own 6N1P, the shrink of sound stage is the only thing i didn't like, which is the reason why Jason didn't go for it. 6N23P not only brings back the sound stage of JJ, but also retains the smooth mids and musicality of 6N1P. I am think that i am done tube rolling with Lyr. :)

May 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #385 of 8,735
Damn it. Swapped the tubes around and the static has now transferred to the left channel. Gonna pull the trigger on some Cryo 23's but I'll be pissed if this is a common occurrence.

May 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #386 of 8,735
I enjoyed my '23s' at work yesterday with my SXC cabled K702's. Great synergy, fantastic top to bottom. Plugged in my DT990/600's at home, and found the bass bloated. Just a reminder of how each component in the chain has an impact on the sound. I'll give the 23's more time with the DT990/600's - but my first impression is that the JJ's are a better match for these headphones.

May 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #388 of 8,735
Huge thanks to MrScary. finally received 6N23P-EV from Russia yesterday. i just ordered a regular pair from eBay. nothing fancy here. The first impression is just great. When i changed from stock JJ to Schiit's own 6N1P, the shrink of sound stage is the only thing i didn't like, which is the reason why Jason didn't go for it. 6N23P not only brings back the sound stage of JJ, but also retains the smooth mids and musicality of 6N1P. I am think that i am done tube rolling with Lyr. :)

Awesome man I knew you would like them Im still breaking in my multi cryo tubes and waiting on my 60's pair of vintage 23's from ebay

May 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #389 of 8,735

Quote:
I think that a majority of users have been trying out the 23's my question is why Schiit chooses to use the JJ's they are not very good sounding Jason. I know you are not in the business of tube rolling but the JJ's are a bad choice even at the price point of the Lyr..
On another note I'm having a blast rolling tubes through the Lyr and thanks for a great product.

Good question! 

Our answer starts with our philosophy: we bring extremely high-value products to you though good engineering, simple construction, and complete standardization. We don't offer color options, tube options, tweak options, etc--because we'd have to charge about 1.5-2x the cost to consult with everyone about what the best configuration is.

For complete standardization, we need (a) new production tubes, (b) reliable, consistent supply, and (c) reasonable cost. The two tubes that meet this criteria for a product at Lyr's price point are the EH 6922 and the JJ E88CC. We ended up choosing the JJ E88CCs because, in our testing and listening, they were more consistent than the EH tubes, and they sounded very good for their price point, when matched with a modern curve tracer. 

Are there better tubes out there? Sure. Are the JJs garbage? Not at all. 

Raise the price to, say, $949, and lots of other options open up. But think most people would like a $449 Lyr rather than a $949 Lyr. 

Speaking of which, perhaps a better question may be why JJs are used in amps that cost 6-8x as much as ours.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #390 of 8,735

Quote:

Good question! 

Our answer starts with our philosophy: we bring extremely high-value products to you though good engineering, simple construction, and complete standardization. We don't offer color options, tube options, tweak options, etc--because we'd have to charge about 1.5-2x the cost to consult with everyone about what the best configuration is.

For complete standardization, we need (a) new production tubes, (b) reliable, consistent supply, and (c) reasonable cost. The two tubes that meet this criteria for a product at Lyr's price point are the EH 6922 and the JJ E88CC. We ended up choosing the JJ E88CCs because, in our testing and listening, they were more consistent than the EH tubes, and they sounded very good for their price point, when matched with a modern curve tracer. 

Are there better tubes out there? Sure. Are the JJs garbage? Not at all. 

Raise the price to, say, $949, and lots of other options open up. But think most people would like a $449 Lyr rather than a $949 Lyr. 

Speaking of which, perhaps a better question may be why JJs are used in amps that cost 6-8x as much as ours.

Jason,

Thanks makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back