Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,066 of 8,735
Ha! Thanks Jamato8 for helping point out the obvious 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,068 of 8,735

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how to people store their tubes?  I'm placing tubes w/ boxes in zip lock bags.  Are people using Pelican cases with foam inserts or large tupperware containers.

In cardboard boxes. These are vacuum sealed glass containers. In the real life of tubes, in the past, they were thrown about, bumped around, and many other types of abuse. I don't do that but when they were a true part of the trade, as in TV repair, radio and so on, they got no special treatment. I have tubes from the mid 1920's that are fine and I know they have gone through just about everything. They don't like hammers. :^)

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #1,069 of 8,735
In cardboard boxes. These are vacuum sealed glass containers. In the real life of tubes, in the past, they were thrown about, bumped around, and many other types of abuse. I don't do that but when they were a true part of the trade, as in TV repair, radio and so on, they got no special treatment. I have tubes from the mid 1920's that are fine and I know they have gone through just about everything. They don't like hammers. :^)

wow from the 20's coolio

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,070 of 8,735
Hi Jamato8,

I directed this question @ MrScary but maybe you can answer it. Is there a place you know of that sells matched pairs of the 6BZ7/6BQ7 or are they just too inexpensive for people to bother? I bought 8 of them from tubestore.com and for $4 a piece they barely wanted to take the time to match brands for me. When I asked for grey plates the lady who was helping me didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I should be receiving them tomorrow but I have no idea what I'm getting.
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,071 of 8,735
Hi Jamato8,

I directed this question @ MrScary but maybe you can answer it. Is there a place you know of that sells matched pairs of the 6BZ7/6BQ7 or are they just too inexpensive for people to bother? I bought 8 of them from tubestore.com and for $4 a piece they barely wanted to take the time to match brands for me. When I asked for grey plates the lady who was helping me didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I should be receiving them tomorrow but I have no idea what I'm getting.
beerchug.gif

I know Jamato8 hates this word but I have gotten some of my 6BZ7/6BQ7 off of ebay. Since they are so cheap I really didn't care if they worked or not but I got lucky with all my ebay purchases with the 6BZ7/6BQ7 some sellers are honest on ebay you
just have to sift through them which is a pain in the ass. I actually am going to sell a lot of tubes here soon as I have decided Im only keeping the ones Im using so keep an eye out on the thread I will post it here first so that the thread users can get first dibs..
With the 6BZ7/6BQ7 being kinda off the beaten path its hard to find tube sellers that have them matched. The ones I have found sent me bad tubes hahaha my bad luck Jamato8 may have some insight for you on locations.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,072 of 8,735
Thanks MrScary! I'm reluctant to use eBay but these are on the cheap. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your tubes. I know this has probably been asked of you before but this thread is pretty deep, if you had to choose one set of tubes you prefer most with the Lyr/HD650 combo which would they be? That'll be my set up for awhile until I pick up some LCD-2's. Thanks again!
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,073 of 8,735
Thanks MrScary! I'm reluctant to use eBay but these are on the cheap. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your tubes. I know this has probably been asked of you before but this thread is pretty deep, if you had to choose one set of tubes you prefer most with the Lyr/HD650 combo which would they be? That'll be my set up for awhile until I pick up some LCD-2's. Thanks again!
beerchug.gif

Hmmmm Thats a hard one man my favorite tubes are all vintage 60's expensive tubes... But the 6BZ7/6BQ7's sound great I love the RCA's for their airyness and the GE's for their great midrange just start by getting some 6BZ7/6BQ7's and go from there
with the 650's I prefer a brighter tube so the 6BZ7/6BQ7's fit that bill great.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,074 of 8,735
Sounds like a plan. The Lyr will be my first hybrid/tube amp experience so I'm sure the 6BZ7's will more than suffice! I'll pop in the stock tubes just for reference then play with the others. Hopefully the tubestore sent me a nice variety. I'll know soon enough.
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,075 of 8,735
Sounds like a plan. The Lyr will be my first hybrid/tube amp experience so I'm sure the 6BZ7's will more than suffice! I'll pop in the stock tubes just for reference then play with the others. Hopefully the tubestore sent me a nice variety. I'll know soon enough.
beerchug.gif

You cant go wrong with the 6BZ7/6BQ7's they are way underrated.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,077 of 8,735
There are grey plates and then there are gray plates. Sometimes you have to ask if they have any grey or gray plates. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,078 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Jamato8,

beerchug.gif

I know Jamato8 hates this word but I have gotten some of my 6BZ7/6BQ7 off of ebay. Since they are so cheap I really didn't care if they worked or not but I got lucky with all my ebay purchases with the 6BZ7/6BQ7 some sellers are honest on ebay you
just have to sift through them which is a pain in the ass. I actually am going to sell a lot of tubes here soon as I have decided Im only keeping the ones Im using so keep an eye out on the thread I will post it here first so that the thread users can get first dibs..
With the 6BZ7/6BQ7 being kinda off the beaten path its hard to find tube sellers that have them matched. The ones I have found sent me bad tubes hahaha my bad luck Jamato8 may have some insight for you on locations.

That's where I found a pair of Sylvania 6BZ7/6BQ7 tubes for the Lyr.  I have to agree with everyone here - they really do sound very good for an amazingly low cost.  Impressive - and definitely part of any Lyr owner's tube collection if you're experimenting with tube rolling.  :)

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #1,080 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back