Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #1,083 of 8,735
Fyi - http://www.oldstockaudio.com/ has a good selection of Sylvania 6BZ7 grey plates matched. He seems to take great care testing and matching tubes. This comes at a premium - he sells Sylvania 6BZ7 grey plates at $30 (US) for a matched pair.

Thats outrageous I have never paid more than 5.00 a tube but I guess if you want his matching then ya pay for it. :D

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,084 of 8,735
I just received my grab bag of 6BZ7/6BQ7's. I got 2 sets of the GE gray plates, 1 set of Superior?(made in Japan), and 1 set of Allied?(made in Japan) which appear to have gold pins. I've never seen either brand discussed. Has anyone tried these?

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,085 of 8,735

Quote:
I just received my grab bag of 6BZ7/6BQ7's. I got 2 sets of the GE gray plates, 1 set of Superior?(made in Japan), and 1 set of Allied?(made in Japan) which appear to have gold pins. I've never seen either brand discussed. Has anyone tried these?

No sounds like you got some new toys the GE's sound great let us know how the others sound

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,087 of 8,735

Quote:
Fyi - http://www.oldstockaudio.com/ has a good selection of Sylvania 6BZ7 grey plates matched. He seems to take great care testing and matching tubes. This comes at a premium - he sells Sylvania 6BZ7 grey plates at $30 (US) for a matched pair.

Most likely he is paying around 1 dollar a tube, at the most. This is a silly price and should not be paid unless you have plenty of free money laying around that you would also give to someone that comes to the door and asks for it. 

I know that using a tube tracer takes more time but the information is plugged into the computer and you print out what you need. And I agree, for most all purposes, you don't need closely matched tubes but on the Lyr, since they are in the voltage gain stage, it is fairly important but I don't think you need to pay over 10 dollars a pair for 6BZ7 types. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,088 of 8,735

Quote:

I look forward to your impressions of the Japanese tubes. I have never used any from Japan of the 6BZ7 and Japan made some very good tubes. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #1,089 of 8,735
I've got a set of Brimar CV2492 inbound from the UK, I'm pretty excited to hear them. I'll post my impressions when they get here.

I also recently bought a solid silver interconnect cable for the Lyr. That didn't go so well, it made the sound lean and thin so I had to return the cable. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,090 of 8,735
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of getting a reasonably priced set of silver interconnects.   Did they require break in period?

Quote:
I've got a set of Brimar CV2492 inbound from the UK, I'm pretty excited to hear them. I'll post my impressions when they get here.

I also recently bought a solid silver interconnect cable for the Lyr. That didn't go so well, it made the sound lean and thin so I had to return the cable. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,091 of 8,735
@MrScary
What tubes you recommend for 3D imaging? (or whatever is called?) :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,092 of 8,735

Quote:
SUBMIT
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of getting a reasonably priced set of silver interconnects.   Did they require break in period?

You got it, I'm not a real believer of cable burn in but I don't know if it would make a difference. I've actually never noticed improvement from burn in from anything audio related.  

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,093 of 8,735
As a scientist I am trained to be skeptical and I am fairly new to this world of HiFi so initially I was prepared to disregard all burn-in suggestions.  However, with the W4S DAC-2 and RE-Zero I noticed that the sound changed over time.  Maybe it's all in my head but maybe not.  As long as we're happy with the final product different strokes for different folks.

Quote:

You got it, I'm not a real believer of cable burn in but I don't know if it would make a difference. I've actually never noticed improvement from burn in from anything audio related.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back