Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,052 of 8,735
Great Mr Scary, you did it again. Now I am really scared with that avatar. I feel like I am falling into a vortex mental disruption. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #1,054 of 8,735

Quote:
The badging (lettering) on the glass is fragile, and is starting to flake off from age.

Yeah, I hate how that affects the SQ too!
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #1,057 of 8,735
the eye, the eye! No not the eye!!

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,059 of 8,735
Awesome, quick turnaround and all on the same page.  
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I won some on Ebay recently but it will be my first IECs so hopefully you don't mind sharing the love.  I will cease purchasing tubes for a while after I get my paws on the Valvo's.  I am interested in this tri-dimensional sound Mr. Scary talks about.  As of right now, I'm finding the Cryoset 6N23Ps working well with the Lyr + LCD-2.  Lots of other tubes I would like to try after the Valvo but I think I'm getting into just very subtle improvements or signatures with each new tube purchase.  

I have ceased purchasing tubes.

Quote:
If anyone runs across a pair of Mullard 6DJ8 IEC's, and you don't intent to purchase, please give me a holler.  I'd like to own a backup pair.  The current pair are NIB NOS, came in original boxes, and the print on the cathode is suffering from age.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,060 of 8,735
Out of curiosity, how to people store their tubes?  I'm placing tubes w/ boxes in zip lock bags.  Are people using Pelican cases with foam inserts or large tupperware containers.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,063 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:
havent been following this thread for a while

so can someone sum up in short what are the best tubes (in different aspect) for under usd$150 for a matched pair?

i havent had the chance to try the Telefunken, Mullards, 6BZ7, Siemens, etc, so some words on these would be very helpful (would be even more helpful if u can compare them to the Gold Lions E88cc, amperex/hp, or the 6N23P)

This is a difficult question to answer for 150.00 there are many great tubes, Valvo's,Brimars,Mullards, Some of the Amperex vintage tubes.. Problem is finding them
IN all honesty the Vintage tubes sound better, 60's tubes are the schiit but there are other tubes that sound great as well. Your question begs the question
have you looked through the forum? impressions of most of the tubes have been done several times.

What I would do:
I would start out with the inexpensive 6BZ7's buy several different brands. GE's, RCA's and some Sylvania's then from there
make a decision on what tubes if any you want to spend 150.00 on. I can tell you I have spent more on tubes than I did on the Lyr and I still use the 5.00 tubes i.e 6BZ7's.

My Favorites so far in order are Valvo ECC88 CCA's, Brimar 2492's (Britain) , GE 6BZ7's and Im getting some vintage Mullard's in from the 60's in about a week so I can give you a run down of these 3 soon. I didn't include my siemens CCA's as they are beyond the 150.00 price range and are not worth it.

Good luck

biggrin.gif

What's Happenin' Mr. Scary. I'm a toob noob so please forgive any stoopid ?'s. I should be receiving my Lyr on Mon. and I went ahead and ordered 4 pairs of the 6BZ7/6BQ7 per your advice above from tubestore.com. I asked if they had matched tubes but the chick didn't seem to have the answer to that one. She said she could sell me branded pairs (i.e. 2 GE's, 2 RCA's, etc.). Is there anywhere that sells matched 6BZ7's?

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,065 of 8,735
The plates are grey. Those are grey plates. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back