Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #8,628 of 8,735
Quote:
just about to light er' up...

she looks awesome! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #8,630 of 8,735
Hi guys so I am new to this forum but I am a member of AVforum and AVSforum.  Anyways I just started getting into hifi headphones, amps, and dacs.  I currently own Sennheiser hd800, Akg k702, Audio Technica ATH-M50 paired with a Burson Audio "Conductor" and also have a Schiit Lyr which I received today.  So I am new to all this and including tube rolling.  I am looking to upgrade the tubes and I have read prior post and seems the Telefunken E88CC 6922 or Amperex Orange Globes have been on the top of the list for best performance.  Any other suggestions?  I tried finding them on ebay and amazon and wow they are expensive especially the telefunkens and I am worried about purchasing fake tubes.  Anywhere I can purchase original at a good price?  Also, have you noticed quite of bit of noise with the Schiit Lyr?  I hear a constant buzz even when the volume is all the way down when I have it connected to the Burson Audio using the dac out. I also connect to my ps3 and I hear noise only when I turn up the volume.  Normal?  Sorry for all the questions.  Thank you guys :)

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #8,632 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi guys so I am new to this forum but I am a member of AVforum and AVSforum.  Anyways I just started getting into hifi headphones, amps, and dacs.  I currently own Sennheiser hd800, Akg k702, Audio Technica ATH-M50 paired with a Burson Audio "Conductor" and also have a Schiit Lyr which I received today.  So I am new to all this and including tube rolling.  I am looking to upgrade the tubes and I have read prior post and seems the Telefunken E88CC 6922 or Amperex Orange Globes have been on the top of the list for best performance.  Any other suggestions?  I tried finding them on ebay and amazon and wow they are expensive especially the telefunkens and I am worried about purchasing fake tubes.  Anywhere I can purchase original at a good price?  Also, have you noticed quite of bit of noise with the Schiit Lyr?  I hear a constant buzz even when the volume is all the way down when I have it connected to the Burson Audio using the dac out. I also connect to my ps3 and I hear noise only when I turn up the volume.  Normal?  Sorry for all the questions.  Thank you guys :)

if you read more carefully...it has been mentioned a lot of times upscale audio sells the best telefunkens with cryo platinum options adding the price up a bit, but if you choose not to, driver grade tubes cost as littlte as 200 bucks a pair and less, it's cca telefunkens
]

also, voskhods cost 30 bucks a pair and people say they are amazing,  second to orange maybe, oranges can be bought for 40 bucks a pair used.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #8,634 of 8,735
Sorry thanks...there is over 576 pages of post...didn't have the time to read every single post but my bad. I do appreciate the reply though. Thank you

You've got some really nice gear for "Just starting to get into high-fi"... lol
Anyways... I just got my Lyr and I just got a set of Orange Globes. They are wonderful if you want a warm sound.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #8,638 of 8,735
Nice u got a good deal!
Orange Globes can be found here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321161615486?redirect=mobile

mercedesman is a great guy to deal with. Upscale Audio's Telefunkens, probably won't find a better price than that. There's quite a few tube options, it depends on what sound you want out of your tubes- Neutrality, warmth, etc...And how much you're comfortable spending.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #8,640 of 8,735
Quote:

i recommend www.audiotubes.com

brent jesse.  the guy is a tube freak and has vast knowledge on every kind of tubes. he often has in stock very scarce uber expensive tubes. prices are high but the guy is unquestionably a reference in tubes. i have bought many tubes there and was always extremely happy. if you want the best sound for the lyr it is going to cost you a lot.  i have orange globes and they d'ont sound as good as my 1956 pinched waist mullards. not by a long shot.it's not even funny! with the pinched waist mullards, my lyr sound as good or better than my 3 channel b22 to my ears. absolutely incredible sounding tubes. if you want as good sounding as the pinched waist mullards for half the price, but still expensive, i recommend 7308 mazda france large halo getter gold pins from the 60's. the pinched waist mullards cost 600 bucks a pair and the mazda tubes 325 to 350 a pair. you want the best sound, it is going to cost you. brent is currently on a tube hunting trip. he will come back on the 22th of july. c'ant wait to see if he finds more pinched waist tubes. in any case, get rid of the stock tubes as fast as you can. especially the ge tubes. they are horrid sounding tubes. and d'ont waist your time with new production 6922 tubes. none of these tubes can hold a candle to the best nos tubes. not even the e.a.t. e88cc tubes. 

the real question is how much are you ready to spend on a single pair of tubes for the lyr? anyway you should email brent and ask him what you need. he is a sweetheart and will answer your every questions. if you want the best sound at affordable prices, the orange globes are the way to go. no doubt. price performance ratio is absurdly high. and as a bonus you can have many pairs.pinched waist tubes are very scarce and in fact my pinched waist tubes exibit just a tiny bit of microphonics, and one of them as a small defect. the microphonics disappear when i change them of socket on the lyr. they are by far the easiest tubes ever to remove from the lyr sockets. they are an absolute delight with the sennheiser hd 800. just plain incredible. the lyr is an inexpensive amplifier that can scale to very high level of sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back