Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #8,641 of 8,735
Orange Globes can be found here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321161615486?redirect=mobile

mercedesman is a great guy to deal with. Upscale Audio's Telefunkens, probably won't find a better price than that. There's quite a few tube options, it depends on what sound you want out of your tubes- Neutrality, warmth, etc...And how much you're comfortable spending.

Yeah I like neutral sound but I do like a little bit of warmth, clarity, and good bass extension. Probably asking for too much. Lol. I will try to get a hold of ur guy thx

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #8,642 of 8,735
i recommend www.audiotubes.com

brent jesse.  the guy is a tube freak and has vast knowledge on every kind of tubes. he often has in stock very scarce uber expensive tubes. prices are high but the guy is unquestionably a reference in tubes. i have bought many tubes there and was always extremely happy. if you want the best sound for the lyr it is going to cost you a lot.  i have orange globes and they d'ont sound as good as my 1956 pinched waist mullards. not by a long shot.it's not even funny! with the pinched waist mullards, my lyr sound as good or better than my 3 channel b22 to my ears. absolutely incredible sounding tubes. if you want as good sounding as the pinched waist mullards for half the price, but still expensive, i recommend 7308 mazda france large halo getter gold pins from the 60's. the pinched waist mullards cost 600 bucks a pair and the mazda tubes 325 to 350 a pair. you want the best sound, it is going to cost you. brent is currently on a tube hunting trip. he will come back on the 22th of july. c'ant wait to see if he finds more pinched waist tubes. in any case, get rid of the stock tubes as fast as you can. especially the ge tubes. they are horrid sounding tubes. and d'ont waist your time with new production 6922 tubes. none of these tubes can hold a candle to the best nos tubes. not even the e.a.t. e88cc tubes. 

the real question is how much are you ready to spend on a single pair of tubes for the lyr? anyway you should email brent and ask him what you need. he is a sweetheart and will answer your every questions. if you want the best sound at affordable prices, the orange globes are the way to go. no doubt. price performance ratio is absurdly high. and as a bonus you can have many pairs.pinched waist tubes are very scarce and in fact my pinched waist tubes exibit just a tiny bit of microphonics, and one of them as a small defect. the microphonics disappear when i change them of socket on the lyr. they are by far the easiest tubes ever to remove from the lyr sockets. they are an absolute delight with the sennheiser hd 800. just plain incredible. the lyr is an inexpensive amplifier that can scale to very high level of sound quality.

I never new how expensive tubes got. I do want the best performance out of lyrs. When comparing the lyr to my burson I have to say the highs don't sound as clean imo. But I probably need to break it more. Will putting higher tubes eliminate some of the noise? I heard tubes make noise. Well thank u all for your input. Not sure if I'm ready to spend 600 dollars for a tube yet but who knows. I always want the best I can get im the end. Hehehe

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #8,643 of 8,735
Yeah I like neutral sound but I do like a little bit of warmth, clarity, and good bass extension. Probably asking for too much. Lol. I will try to get a hold of ur guy thx
Brent Jessee (audiotubes.com) and mercedesman on ebay are two trusted and very reliable vendors. Only buy from trusted vendors. Upscale Audio is trustworthy also. Upscale's Ediswans are an amazing tube for the money, with crystal clear highs and nice bass. Or if you don't want to spend a lot, many people rave about the matsu****- Upscale carries these also. Your Lyr shouldn't make noise- it should be dead quiet. Maybe try switching the positions of the tubes and see if this eliminates the noise.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #8,645 of 8,735
Quote:
Woo...if that sounds 1/2 as good as it looks...you're gonna be in audio heaven. Nice design work!

smile.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #8,646 of 8,735
Quote:

brent jesse.  the guy is a tube freak and has vast knowledge on every kind of tubes. he often has in stock very scarce uber expensive tubes. prices are high but the guy is unquestionably a reference in tubes. i have bought many tubes there and was always extremely happy. if you want the best sound for the lyr it is going to cost you a lot.  i have orange globes and they d'ont sound as good as my 1956 pinched waist mullards. not by a long shot.it's not even funny! with the pinched waist mullards, my lyr sound as good or better than my 3 channel b22 to my ears. absolutely incredible sounding tubes. if you want as good sounding as the pinched waist mullards for half the price, but still expensive, i recommend 7308 mazda france large halo getter gold pins from the 60's. the pinched waist mullards cost 600 bucks a pair and the mazda tubes 325 to 350 a pair. you want the best sound, it is going to cost you. brent is currently on a tube hunting trip. he will come back on the 22th of july. c'ant wait to see if he finds more pinched waist tubes. in any case, get rid of the stock tubes as fast as you can. especially the ge tubes. they are horrid sounding tubes. and d'ont waist your time with new production 6922 tubes. none of these tubes can hold a candle to the best nos tubes. not even the e.a.t. e88cc tubes. 

the real question is how much are you ready to spend on a single pair of tubes for the lyr? anyway you should email brent and ask him what you need. he is a sweetheart and will answer your every questions. if you want the best sound at affordable prices, the orange globes are the way to go. no doubt. price performance ratio is absurdly high. and as a bonus you can have many pairs.pinched waist tubes are very scarce and in fact my pinched waist tubes exibit just a tiny bit of microphonics, and one of them as a small defect. the microphonics disappear when i change them of socket on the lyr. they are by far the easiest tubes ever to remove from the lyr sockets. they are an absolute delight with the sennheiser hd 800. just plain incredible. the lyr is an inexpensive amplifier that can scale to very high level of sound quality.

you know what the amount of cash i spent on tubes in the past few weeks rolling tubes for lyr has exceeded 2 times what a pair of pinched wasit would cost.. if someone was selling pinched waist for cheap i would have probably bought them

I am going to be humble and callmyself an idiot for buying a ton of sub par stuff, but i enjoy price performance ratio instead of going with the best stuff--i am a consumer, i am not good with keeping stuff, it's like if i buy 20 dolllar a pound steak i am going to go through it fast and then feel like I just wasted my money even if I MAY enjoy it a bit more than cheap steak.

I wasn't going to buy anything at all, the GE tubes, that I bought to replace the stock 6bz7 tubes were already more than what I wanted to spend on the lyr after a year using 6bz7, lol.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #8,647 of 8,735
Has anyone tried the Chinese equivalent of the 6DJ8, the 6N11? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shuguang-Chinese-6N11-6922-6DJ8-Vacuum-Tube-2PCS-/120649841315

Curious if these sound any good since they're so cheap. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #8,648 of 8,735
Quote:

+1

Orange globes are not in the same league as the pinched waists (or S&H CCa, or Amperex USN-CEP, etc.) .
And yes, the best sound will cost you a lot.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #8,649 of 8,735
I never new how expensive tubes got. I do want the best performance out of lyrs. When comparing the lyr to my burson I have to say the highs don't sound as clean imo. But I probably need to break it more. Will putting higher tubes eliminate some of the noise? I heard tubes make noise. Well thank u all for your input. Not sure if I'm ready to spend 600 dollars for a tube yet but who knows. I always want the best I can get im the end. Hehehe

Give the 6922 equivalent Russian Voskhod 6n23p a try. The 1970's version are especially great. Some tubes can be noisy, these are inky black quiet, with great clarity and extension. They're prices are very reasonable. I have a pr of Siemens PCC88 Gray Shields and a pr SEL Lorentz PCC88 for sale as well. $70 for Siemens (I think Brent Jesse charges $150), and $40 for the SEL Lorentz. Just PM me if interested. Both have been tested NOS on my Sencor TC-162 tube tester. The Lyr is very senitive to tube changes.

I have the HD800s also, they go well together. I also have a Woo WA-6SE, the Lyr (with right tubes) is way more dynamic. Makes the Woo sound a bit boring in comparison. Keep burning the Lyr...and join the tube rolling madness!

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #8,650 of 8,735
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Chinese equivalent of the 6DJ8, the 6N11? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shuguang-Chinese-6N11-6922-6DJ8-Vacuum-Tube-2PCS-/120649841315

Curious if these sound any good since they're so cheap. 

Not sure but i think they're closer to 6N1P than 6DJ8.

6N1P isn't the best tube for Lyr imo.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #8,652 of 8,735
+1

Orange globes are not in the same league as the pinched waists (or S&H CCa, or Amperex USN-CEP, etc.) .
And yes, the best sound will cost you a lot.

I have owned several pairs of the Siemens CCa, both the legendary gray shields and the later silver shields, and have the Philips '60s Holland D getter SQs,and Bugle Boy '58 D getters. I am putting together a review of these Voskhod Rockets. The '70s vintage crush the BB and SQs, IMO the very best Voskhod - the 1975 gray shields better the CCas.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8,653 of 8,735
Regarding 6922/6dj8 tube noise, in my 15yr long experience with this tube (I have two amps and DAC that uses them as well), the Amperex can be quite prone to microphonics and tube noise. The Siemens less so. Microphonics is different then tube noise (sometimes refered to as 'tube rush'), it is usually set off by vibration. You can tell a microphonic tube, by touching it lightly while turned on w/o source. A microphonic tube will exhibit noise when touched or distrubed. This can vary among different equipment - in other words a tube can be non-microphonic in one amp and microphonic in another, depending on amp design. This issue can be min by using tube rings, I like the Herbies. The Tubemonger vibration risers are good as well, and help make it easier to swap tubes. These devices can not eliminate microphonics completely but min the noise it creates.

Tube rush would be heard on all amps, and is usually exhibited by a background hissing or static sound. This noise can mask low level detail. Best way to test, with no source, turn the volume up 10-20%, listen. Be sure to turn the volume back down before playing music!!! Some tubes have so much noise it can be heard at normal listening levels, these should be avoided, they're really masking detail. Alot of the tubes sold on EBay are noisy tubes.

Edit. You can minimize some noise issues by treating the pins with Detox, a de-oxidizer. Then with a non-conductive contact enhancer like ProGold.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #8,654 of 8,735
Quote:
Brent Jessee (audiotubes.com) and mercedesman on ebay are two trusted and very reliable vendors. Only buy from trusted vendors. Upscale Audio is trustworthy also. Upscale's Ediswans are an amazing tube for the money, with crystal clear highs and nice bass. Or if you don't want to spend a lot, many people rave about the matsu****- Upscale carries these also. Your Lyr shouldn't make noise- it should be dead quiet. Maybe try switching the positions of the tubes and see if this eliminates the noise.

I'll give that a try.  The noise depends on what source I put through it.  When I send ps3 sound through it is when noise is consistent whether I raise the volume or lower competely; however the noise increase as volume increases.  When I have the lyr hooked up to the dac out of the burson audio, I get noise intermittently.  But not as bad as when I'm hooked up to to my PS3.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #8,655 of 8,735
Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday and this is usually a big weekend around here so I am rolling in my best tubes. 1962 Berlin ECC88.

I've bought a set or two of the currently available Telefunken tubes with the fake enamel labels out of curiosity and they don't hold a candle to the real thing and are no better than random Bugle Boys at best. They don't actually have the real TF sound at all IMHO.

Anyways, Caveat Emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back