Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #8,611 of 8,735
Quote:
I emailed him.  Unfortunately, the communication was not good - I guess his English is hazy.  The tube in the picture is not what he is selling (very misleading), that he confirmed!

He was very vague and unresponsive when I asked him to specify exactly what he was selling.  He wouldn't...so I guess it's a case of 'Russian Roulette' as to what he'll send you.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot !

Hmm this does not bode well. This seller should be avoided in any case it seems.
I'll let you all know, I would put photos of real tubes received (if they arrive one day ...)
I hope to have a good surprise but I do not believe in father Christmas since I am an adult :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #8,612 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks a lot !

Hmm this does not bode well. This seller should be avoided in any case it seems.
I'll let you all know, I would put photos of real tubes received (if they arrive one day ...)
I hope to have a good surprise but I do not believe in father Christmas since I am an adult :wink:

I don't know...maybe it's just the English thing...maybe a Vodka thing (LOL!).  I find all these Russian/Ukraine/Moldovian/Bulgarian dealers really vague on what they sell.  So I don't think it's him personally.    At least some of the dealers on E-Bay will specify exactly what they are selling.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

I believe folks have had a varying success with these tubes...just depending on what date code they get.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #8,614 of 8,735
Quote:
thanks for this amazing rundown - im still waiting on my 76 grays and 78/79 silvers to arrive from pooters so cant wait to plug em in and hear for myself.  (the VK's i currently have are 8 yrs apart and mismatched i think as dont sound anything like above)

So whats the likely success rate of being able to hunt down the 75's ? bearing in mind that most of us wouldnt have the connections or experience in scouring russia for them like you do

Do you have OGs?  Since you have matched date code pairs of the '70s Voshkods - I'd be very interested to hear your take on the comparison

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #8,615 of 8,735
I have some 68 Amperex OGs I purchased from mercedesman a few months ago. I've never been completely satisfied with their sound, and actually prefer the stock GE tubes. Soundstage loses some depth on the GEs but the bass impact and overall balance is better to my ears. That being said I'd love to get my hands on some good 70's 6n23Ps if anyone is up for a trade. The OGs have ~20 hours on them. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #8,616 of 8,735
Quote:
I have some 68 Amperex OGs I purchased from mercedesman a few months ago. I've never been completely satisfied with their sound, and actually prefer the stock GE tubes. Soundstage loses some depth on the GEs but the bass impact and overall balance is better to my ears. That being said I'd love to get my hands on some good 70's 6n23Ps if anyone is up for a trade. The OGs have ~20 hours on them. 

I have an exact date matched pr of the Voskhod 1980 Silver Shield Rockets I'd trade for them.  PM me if interested.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #8,617 of 8,735
So here is my current ranking:

All Voskhod Rockets 6n23p Kaluga factory:

Many thanks for a great critique. In general I have found if you find a set of these from before 1983 you stand a good chance of getting great tubes.

A good pair of these tubes have treble, clarity and a realistic attack with music. I've found it to be really difficult to find the big name western tubes with these qualities and I have had to put aside my brand fascination and prejudices when trying tubes and be ready to admit the inexpensive Rockets are often better.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #8,618 of 8,735
Source is really important.  I have a vast collection of LPs that I digitalized at ultra-high resolution (32 bit, 176K), back when I had my near SOTA analog rig.

The sound from these recordings exceed regular CD quality sound by a mile - they're my favorites.

Agree - a warm, unfatigued sound, with a natural tone that's hard for Redbook to match.  But a bit euphonic.

I only evaluate tubes using my CD wave files - I believe they are more neutral.

My analog rig is pretty modest, but I still love the way it sounds.
It's clear that Vinyl colors the music in it's own way.... but it's easily the most relaxing way to listen to music. Gotta love it.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #8,619 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks!
Well on finding more '75s is not easy now, the word is getting out.  I asked pooters if he had any 1970's - all he has is 1990's for $45/pr with shipping from the UK ($15 for shipping -Och).  I hope he can find more of the '70s, I'm having a hard time doing so.

That's not me 
tongue_smile.gif

Mine were used and only going for £9 a pair, whatever that is in dollars, there is a guy in the UK on ebay selling NOS pairs from the 90's though.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #8,620 of 8,735
Quote:
My analog rig is pretty modest, but I still love the way it sounds.
It's clear that Vinyl colors the music in it's own way.... but it's easily the most relaxing way to listen to music. Gotta love it.

i don't know if anyone talks about or knows about the gear Jason Statham used in one of his newer films...the one where he owns a newb wannabe 

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #8,621 of 8,735
just got the matsu****a 6922's in today -

new they sound great - good mullard bass but with more detail - treble is really smooth - 

For only $20 each they are an unbelievable deal - i paid 3.5 x that for some mullards CV2492's and theres not much difference - the cv's have a more thumping bass but not the detail - i think i prefer the matsu's overall balance a bit better.

For anyone new to the lyr and rolling i highly recommend them and the place i bought them from is half the price of Tubemonger

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matsu****a-6922-E88cc-tubes-valves-NOS-/261214055161?pt=AU_Electronics_Vintage_Electronics&hash=item3cd1922af9&_uhb=1

PS: for anyone with HD800's they are a fantastic match 

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8,624 of 8,735
Quote:
just got the matsu****a 6922's in today -

new they sound great - good mullard bass but with more detail - treble is really smooth - 

For only $20 each they are an unbelievable deal - i paid 3.5 x that for some mullards CV2492's and theres not much difference - the cv's have a more thumping bass but not the detail - i think i prefer the matsu's overall balance a bit better.

For anyone new to the lyr and rolling i highly recommend them and the place i bought them from is half the price of Tubemonger

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matsu****a-6922-E88cc-tubes-valves-NOS-/261214055161?pt=AU_Electronics_Vintage_Electronics&hash=item3cd1922af9&_uhb=1

PS: for anyone with HD800's they are a fantastic match 

only for local pick up, how many people live there wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back