Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8,596 of 8,735
So here is my current ranking:

All Voskhod Rockets 6n23p Kaluga factory:

#1 1975 Gray Shields - Supreme detail, coupled with this magical flow or liquidity to the music...just draws you in.  I try to read while listening to my headphones.  These just make you drop the book and turn the volume up.  Sit back and enjoy the ride as they sweep you away.  Rich textured tone, deep extended tight bass...Who said the HD800 have wimpy bass!  Not with these.  Sound stage - surround sound, reflected sounds actually project behind you!  As well as wall to wall and 30 ft deep in front, with tons of air blooming from each instrument.  The effect enhanced by closing your eyes.  I did this last night...for 4 hours!  Dead quite, zero floor noise, the incredible details just project from inky blackness...you really notice this at the end of songs as they fade into this deep black silence.  The next track re-emerging, building, as you forget how high you've set the volume!  Never harsh or brittle - and here is the magic, even at higher volume levels.  Levels that would have you diving, on most other non-Super V-R tubes, to turn down as the etch becomes annoying.
With the sweet nature of these tubes, it allows you to add this additional volume, the sound becomes enveloping.  You're really projected into a different venue.  What the high end headphone experience is all about!
These are my new reference tubes - so I will describe the other V-Rs based on these.

#2 1975 Silver Shields - these are almost a tie for first.  They actually have even more detail!  But lack a bit of the liquid flow that's so captivating on the '75 grays.
Also have the tonal richness and sweet character.  Likewise the same bass extension and tightness.  Ditto for the sound stage as above.

#3 1978 Silver Shields - Just a bit less detail then above.  Great flow, slightly smaller sound stage - but still wide and deep compared to most tubes.

#4 1976 Gray Shields - A little less detail again.  Good flow - the sound stage is very good.

#5 1977 Silver Shields - Very detailed, a little more analytical.  Nice harmonically rich tone - The Prince of V-Rs.

#6 1974 Gray Shields - Very nice tube.  Liquid mid range, sweet tonality.  A slight reduction in the ultimate detail retrieval and sound stage width and depth. Good bass.

#7 1979 Silver Shields - Amazing detail and mid-range liquidity.  This is were, what I refer to as the 'Super-Voskhods', starts.

#8 1980 Silver Shields - Awesome tube - borders on greatness.  Lacks the extreme detail of the above mentioned tubes.  Also - not quite the tonal richness (would not recommend added volume with these)

#9 1979 Gray Shields - With the '79s and '80s the Silver variant is better - More detailed.  That's not true after '79 - in fact the 'King' is the '75 Grays.

#10 The 1981 -1989s Gray or Silver - Good tubes, won't bowl you over.  Pleasant to listen to.

After that - the 1990s on - pretty pedestrian.  These and the '81-'89s are what's pretty much typical of what's available now on E-bay and through the Russian Dealers.  I hope they don't sour folks on the Voskhod magic.  

This is just a mini-preview.  I'll go into more detail with pictures in my review.  I still have to hear the '73s and '72s - but the structure of these is different.  Similar to some '70s Reflecktors.  So I'm not expecting much.

Happy Listening!

Edit - added a picture of what I mean by Silver and Gray Shields - which is the standard convention for the Siemens CCa.  Others, like pooters refers to the plate running through the middle of the top mica as the 'shield'.  Sorry for the confusion...but I have to stay with traditional 6922 tube conventions.  All of the above evaluations are based on my identification method.  I have run across Voskhod's with silver 'grids' and gray shields, that wide or narrow tab sticking up through the middle of the tube's top mica, may not be the best determinant of the 'shield' color.

As described by a Siemens CCa tube expert:

[size=large]"The "shield" is the "gray" or "shiny silver" plate (electrostatic shield) that is situated between [/size]
[size=large]the 2 gray dual triode plates inside a framed grid tube, such as a 6922, 6DJ8 and 7308.[/size][size=large]"[/size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #8,598 of 8,735
How do these "shields" compare to the orange globes? Because if they make things any "brighter" or more sibilant... can't say I would be very interested... lol
Whenever people say more "detail"... it always scares me into equating it with a "brighter" sound.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,599 of 8,735
Quote:

All Voshkod Rockets 6n23p Kaluga factory:

#1 1975 Gray Shields - Supreme detail, coupled with this magical flow or liquidity to the music...just draws you in.  I try to read while listening to my headphones.  These just make you drop the book and turn the volume up.  Sit back and enjoy the ride as they sweep you away.  Rich textured tone, deep extended tight bass...Who said the HD800 have wimpy bass!  Not with these.  Sound stage - surround sound, reflected sounds actually project behind you!  As well as wall to wall and 30 ft deep in front, with tons of air blooming from each instrument.  The effect enhanced by closing your eyes.  I did this last night...for 4 hours!  Dead quite, zero floor noise, the incredible details just project from inky blackness...you really notice this at the end of songs as they fade into this deep black silence.  The next track re-emerging, building, as you forget how high you've set the volume!  Never harsh or brittle - and here is the magic, even at higher volume levels.  Levels that would have you diving, on most other non-Super V-R tubes, to turn down as the etch becomes annoying.
With the sweet nature of these tubes, it allows you to add this additional volume, the sound becomes enveloping.  You're really projected into a different venue.  What the high end headphone experience is all about!
These are my new reference tubes - so I will describe the other V-Rs based on these.

#2 1975 Silver Shields - these are almost a tie for first.  They actually have even more detail!  But lack a bit of the liquid flow that's so captivating on the '75 grays.
Also have the tonal richness and sweet character.  Likewise the same bass extension and tightness.  Ditto for the sound stage as above.

#3 1978 Silver Shields - Just a bit less detail then above.  Great flow, slightly smaller sound stage - but still wide and deep compared to most tubes.

#4 1976 Gray Shields - A little less detail again.  Good flow - the sound stage is very good.

#5 1977 Silver Shields - Very detailed, a little more analytical.  Nice harmonically rich tone - The Prince of V-Rs.

#6 1974 Gray Shields - Very nice tube.  Liquid mid range, sweet tonality.  A slight reduction in the ultimate detail retrieval and sound stage width and depth. Good bass.

#7 1979 Silver Shields - Amazing detail and mid-range liquidity.  This is were, what I refer to as the 'Super-Voskhods', starts.

#8 1980 Silver Shields - Awesome tube - borders on greatness.  Lacks the extreme detail of the above mentioned tubes.  Also - not quite the tonal richness (would not recommend added volume with these)

#9 1979 Gray Shields - With the '79s and '80s the Silver variant is better - More detailed.  That's not true after '79 - in fact the 'King' is the '75 Grays.

#10 The 1981 -1989s Gray or Silver - Good tubes, won't bowl you over.  Pleasant to listen to.

After that - the 1990s on - pretty pedestrian.  These and the '81-'89s are what's pretty much typical of what's available now on E-bay and through the Russian Dealers.  I hope they don't sour folks on the Voskhod magic.  

This is just a mini-preview.  I'll go into more detail with pictures in my review.  I still have to hear the '73s and '72s - but the structure of these is different.  Similar to some '70s Reflecktors.  So I'm not expecting much.

Happy Listening!

Bravo, Maestro !!!!!!!!

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #8,600 of 8,735
Quote:
How do these "shields" compare to the orange globes? Because if they make things any "brighter" or more sibilant... can't say I would be very interested... lol
Whenever people say more "detail"... it always scares me into equating it with a "brighter" sound.

Well that's a very good point.  There is usually a trade-off to detail - a bright, brittle, edgy sound. 

The magic of the these '75 Voskhods is that they always remain tonally rich, with a forgiving sweetness to them.  This allows something really special - to be able to place the volume another 10% higher then normal - with no ill consequences.  In fact more ambient details emerge.  This very low level ambient detail allows for a larger, holographic presentation.

Rather then staggered cardboard cutouts arrange on the stage, the musicians are projected into a 3D sound field.  You hear not just the front wave, but the subtle reflected side and back waves.

I don't have the OGs to compare against.  But some folks who have bought the '80 Silver Shields, have rated them right below the OGs.  So we'll see how the '75 Grays compare.

PS One other note - there is tremendous variation between the different date code Voshkod 6n23p Rockets.  As I tried to convey in the previous post.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #8,602 of 8,735
About these 197???  voskhods
Do you think is that gray shieds or silver shields ?
http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=12

I'm still waiting for them.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #8,603 of 8,735
Quote:

Happy Listening!

well i am the lucky owner of the only 75's grey of pooter's newest batch of voshkods sold. the pair is completed with a 76 grey

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #8,604 of 8,735
Quote:
Well that's a very good point.  There is usually a trade-off to detail - a bright, brittle, edgy sound. 

The magic of the these '75 Voskhods is that they always remain tonally rich, with a forgiving sweetness to them.  This allows something really special - to be able to place the volume another 10% higher then normal - with no ill consequences.  In fact more ambient details emerge.  This very low level ambient detail allows for a larger, holographic presentation.

Rather then staggered cardboard cutouts arrange on the stage, the musicians are projected into a 3D sound field.  You hear not just the front wave, but the subtle reflected side and back waves.

I don't have the OGs to compare against.  But some folks who have bought the '80 Silver Shields, have rated them right below the OGs.  So we'll see how the '75 Grays compare.

PS One other note - there is tremendous variation between the different date code Voshkod 6n23p Rockets.  As I tried to convey in the previous post.

i will be doing that job for you and yall

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #8,605 of 8,735
I just got back from an amazing journey, listening to Random Access Memories on Vinyl with the Schiit Lyr, using the Orange Globe tubes though my Audeze LCD 2.2s.

All I can say is.... Blown away.... :cool:

The music just came through so incredibly smooth and liquidy.... It redefined "Warmth" for me in terms of sound.... I really felt wrapped up in it... It was beautiful.
I can't wait to listen to some more of my records later...

I mean just wow... this is why we spend the money we do on this stuff.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #8,606 of 8,735
Quote:

Happy Listening!

thanks for this amazing rundown - im still waiting on my 76 grays and 78/79 silvers to arrive from pooters so cant wait to plug em in and hear for myself.  (the VK's i currently have are 8 yrs apart and mismatched i think as dont sound anything like above)

So whats the likely success rate of being able to hunt down the 75's ? bearing in mind that most of us wouldnt have the connections or experience in scouring russia for them like you do

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #8,607 of 8,735
Quote:
About these 197???  voskhods
Do you think is that gray shieds or silver shields ?
http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=12

I'm still waiting for them.

I emailed him.  Unfortunately, the communication was not good - I guess his English is hazy.  The tube in the picture is not what he is selling (very misleading), that he confirmed!

He was very vague and unresponsive when I asked him to specify exactly what he was selling.  He wouldn't...so I guess it's a case of 'Russian Roulette' as to what he'll send you.

Good Luck!

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #8,609 of 8,735
Quote:
thanks for this amazing rundown - im still waiting on my 76 grays and 78/79 silvers to arrive from pooters so cant wait to plug em in and hear for myself.  (the VK's i currently have are 8 yrs apart and mismatched i think as dont sound anything like above)

So whats the likely success rate of being able to hunt down the 75's ? bearing in mind that most of us wouldnt have the connections or experience in scouring russia for them like you do

Thanks!
Well on finding more '75s is not easy now, the word is getting out.  I asked pooters if he had any 1970's - all he has is 1990's for $45/pr with shipping from the UK ($15 for shipping -Och).  I hope he can find more of the '70s, I'm having a hard time doing so.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #8,610 of 8,735
Quote:
I just got back from an amazing journey, listening to Random Access Memories on Vinyl with the Schiit Lyr, using the Orange Globe tubes though my Audeze LCD 2.2s.

All I can say is.... Blown away....
cool.gif

The music just came through so incredibly smooth and liquidity.... It redefined "Warmth" for me in terms of sound.... I really felt wrapped up in it... It was beautiful.
I can't wait to listen to some more of my records later...

I mean just wow... this is why we spend the money we do on this stuff.

Source is really important.  I have a vast collection of LPs that I digitalized at ultra-high resolution (32 bit, 176K), back when I had my near SOTA analog rig.

The sound from these recordings exceed regular CD quality sound by a mile - they're my favorites.

Agree - a warm, unfatigued sound, with a natural tone that's hard for Redbook to match.  But a bit euphonic.

I only evaluate tubes using my CD wave files - I believe they are more neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back