Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #8,566 of 8,735
Quote:

Your system is looking beautiful buddy.   Is the custom amp single ended or are you doing push/pull / ultralinear?   I'm running the SLI-80 with KT120 in triode mode and I can't really tell the difference between my friend's Sophia Royal Princess 300B vs. Tung-Sol KT120s.

And not even tube related, but does anyone have any idea how this beast might stack up against a fully balanced B22?

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #8,567 of 8,735
1980 silvers are worth the price my 2nd favorite after orange globe A frames I would grab them

I got a lucky pair of these last week in a bulk 6N23P buy. The thing about these tubes is they often have a spectacular treble clarity that you don't often hear in the Western tubes.

I received my Upscale Telefunken and then two days later some $5 6N23P and it's the Rockets that are in my rig now. There's a lesson to be learned there somewhere, if only I could figure it out.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8,568 of 8,735
And not even tube related, but does anyone have any idea how this beast might stack up against a fully balanced B22?

Perhaps someone at the LA meet will be able to answer that. It's also difficult since its the first and only implementation of Tom's amp for HP's. Serial number 1
It will be fully balanced after the meet when I re-terminate the source jacks and order a Gungnir.
The HPs are balanced.

EDIT:
Just looked up B22. Tyll Hertsens wrote a B22 review. He'll be at the LA meet, perhaps he'll audition it.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #8,569 of 8,735
I was given a set of Russian 6H1N-EB tubes.
Not 6H23N
They have the Novosibirsk pentagram logo.
I presume they are 1973
In Blue ink it has "C1K"

Will they work?  Worth keeping?

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #8,570 of 8,735
They will work, they should be super quiet. Tend to have a narrow image.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #8,571 of 8,735
Quote:
I got a lucky pair of these last week in a bulk 6N23P buy. The thing about these tubes is they often have a spectacular treble clarity that you don't often hear in the Western tubes.

I received my Upscale Telefunken and then two days later some $5 6N23P and it's the Rockets that are in my rig now. There's a lesson to be learned there somewhere, if only I could figure it out.

+1 They won't be $5 for long!  Which ones did you get?  Totally agree on the treble clarity - detail galore!  The veil has been lifted - no going back.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #8,572 of 8,735
Quote:
I was given a set of Russian 6H1N-EB tubes.
Not 6H23N
They have the Novosibirsk pentagram logo.
I presume they are 1973
In Blue ink it has "C1K"

Will they work?  Worth keeping?

With Russian tubes n and h are almost interchangeable, so a 6n1p is equiv to a 6h1p.  The ev was an add-on code - mostly for Reflektors I believe.  They should work but unfortunately the 6n(h)1p is an inferior tube, sound quality wise, as compared to even the 6n23p Reflektors.  I wouldn't even bother with them - unless you get a finger burning itch to swap tubes.

They have the inverted saucer getters like the early Reflektors with the double getter posts.  Except the posts are wire instead of plates.

The 1970's Voskhod Rockets - wow a whole other class - in fact a whole other school.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #8,573 of 8,735
Quote:
With Russian tubes n and h are almost interchangeable, so a 6n1p is equiv to a 6h1p.  The ev was an add-on code - mostly for Reflektors I believe.  They should work but unfortunately the 6n(h)1p is an inferior tube, sound quality wise, as compared to even the 6n23p Reflektors.  I wouldn't even bother with them - unless you get a finger burning itch to swap tubes.

They have the inverted saucer getters like the early Reflektors with the double getter posts.  Except the posts are wire instead of plates.

The 1970's Voskhod Rockets - wow a whole other class - in fact a whole other school.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
A definitive "I wouldn't bother"
Life's too short to listen through bad glass.

Gone.
Thanks

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #8,574 of 8,735
I have three extra pairs of the 1979 Voskhod silver shields matched and tested if anyone is interested.  $30/pr + $5 shipping.  (These Russian dealers have been charging $14 for shipping alone! Besides taking 3-4 weeks).
And two prs of the 1967 Reflectors for $25/pr + $5 shipping.

I wanted to give my fellow Lyrians a chance to buy them before I list on the BB to the rest of the community.  Just PM me.

I have 1980s gray shields for $10/pr + $5 shipping (what you typically get on E-bay) but I really recommend the above - they are worth the extra money.

This Lyr amp is a wonderful instrument to hear the differences in these tubes - well I guess that's why we are all here.

Happy listening!

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #8,575 of 8,735
My Lyr came with the GE 6BZ7 tubes.
They are too bright for me on my Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2.... I'm honestly not liking it very much... it makes it too hard to relax after I get home.
I just ordered some of the stock JJ tubes from Schiit to see how it goes.

Wondering if anyone else has any recommendation for getting a slightly more layed back sound.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #8,577 of 8,735
Quote:
My Lyr came with the GE 6BZ7 tubes.
They are too bright for me on my Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2.... I'm honestly not liking it very much... it makes it too hard to relax after I get home.
I just ordered some of the stock JJ tubes from Schiit to see how it goes.

Wondering if anyone else has any recommendation for getting a slightly more layed back sound.

I'd recommend the Voshkod Rockets 1980 grays shields - they have a layed back sound and yet good detail.  And an amazing bargain at $10/pr + $5 shipping for a matched tested pr.

Not much risk here at this price - should be much better then the new production JJs.

For an even more detailed sound, wider dynamics and wider sound stage - the 1979 Silver Shield Voshkods - $30/pr + $5 shipping.  Just PM me.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #8,579 of 8,735
What rb2013 said.  I got the  80 Voshkod Rockets from him and there's no better bang for the buck out there with your Lyr.  I'd go ahead and step up to the 79's and really see
what that Lyr can do for a great price.
That being said, I would not characterize the Voshkod's as a "warm" tube...if that's what you're really looking for.  To me the Voshkods have a very up-front presentation with great detail across the full spectrum...including the treble.  I'm not sure that you might not label that treble detail as "bright".  If you want "warm" or "smooth" strictly,  you may want to check out some different priced Mullards.  Can't speak to the Orange Globes...don't own any.
Good luck.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #8,580 of 8,735
Quote:
What rb2013 said.  I got the  80 Voshkod Rockets from him and there's no better bang for the buck out there with your Lyr.  I'd go ahead and step up to the 79's and really see
what that Lyr can do for a great price.
That being said, I would not characterize the Voshkod's as a "warm" tube...if that's what you're really looking for.  To me the Voshkods have a very up-front presentation with great detail across the full spectrum...including the treble.  I'm not sure that you might not label that treble detail as "bright".  If you want "warm" or "smooth" strictly,  you may want to check out some different priced Mullards.  Can't speak to the Orange Globes...don't own any.
Good luck.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back