Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8,551 of 8,735
Quote:
Man I was away...and I see Voskhod fest?  What's up with glass?  I ordered the voskhod 6n23p glass but I see I ordered the wrong one 6n1p.

biggrin.gif

Can you return them...my experience with the 6n1p Voskhods and Reflecktors wasn't very good.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #8,552 of 8,735
Got a chance to spend a few hours today with a set of cryo'd National (Matsu) 7DJ8/PCC88 valves that I snagged from Billerb1. Let me also say that Bill is a great guy, put him on the "good seller" list.
smile.gif

Bill had mentioned that these 7.3 volt Matsu's already had about 50 hours on them, so I'm posting my impressions assuming that these valves had enough burn-in to allow me to form an accurate opinion.

Let's cut to the chase...I heard nice detail, solid bass, smooth mids, and a very decent treble that wasn't overly extended. FWIW, I prefer valves that have a bit of "sparkle" on the top, but these Matsu's were more laid-back...much like a "Mullard Lite"...which makes sense as National bought their tooling from Mullard.

Maybe a better comparison would be to say these Matsu PCC88's are like the Honda Accord of valves. They don't do anything badly and everything pretty well...but nothing exceptional. Overall, a nice solid choice that can certainly help tame a bright system, IMO.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #8,553 of 8,735
Quote:
Got a chance to spend a few hours today with a set of cryo'd National (Matsu) 7DJ8/PCC88 valves that I snagged from Billerb1. Let me also say that Bill is a great guy, put him on the "good seller" list.
smile.gif

Bill had mentioned that these 7.3 volt Matsu's already had about 50 hours on them, so I'm posting my impressions assuming that these valves had enough burn-in to allow me to form an accurate opinion.

Let's cut to the chase...I heard nice detail, solid bass, smooth mids, and a very decent treble that wasn't overly extended. FWIW, I prefer valves that have a bit of "sparkle" on the top, but these Matsu's were more laid-back...much like a "Mullard Lite"...which makes sense as National bought their tooling from Mullard.

Maybe a better comparison would be to say these Matsu PCC88's are like the Honda Accord of valves. They don't do anything badly and everything pretty well...but nothing exceptional. Overall, a nice solid choice that can certainly help tame a bright system, IMO.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

i got my pair for the original price rated 11k scores, you got yours 50 hours used out of maybe 5k total, for half off almost, and yours are 15k scores..not that i know what scores are for, but i assume it has relation to quality or hours left?

either way it was ME who was supposed to buy them, but I was asking how to pay him and he got impatient while I was taking a nap and sold it off

you can tell how pissed i was when i realized i bought the worse pair for more money, and when i intended to grab the better deal, it's taken from me again

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #8,557 of 8,735
Quote:
I like mine inverted.

EDIT:

If everything goes as planned. One week from Monday I will be selling.
1) Bifrost UBER. Toslink only  9 months old.   EDIT:  Keeping this.
2) Bifrost non-uber Toslink Only several hours of use
3) Lyr GE tubes. 9 months old. 10 hours on tubes
4) Audeze LCD2 Rev 1,  Rosewood with travel case.  Original cord and 3M Q-cable

I have not figured out the asking price.

Your system is looking beautiful buddy.   Is the custom amp single ended or are you doing push/pull / ultralinear?   I'm running the SLI-80 with KT120 in triode mode and I can't really tell the difference between my friend's Sophia Royal Princess 300B vs. Tung-Sol KT120s.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #8,559 of 8,735
Quote:

Your system is looking beautiful buddy.   Is the custom amp single ended or are you doing push/pull / ultralinear?   I'm running the SLI-80 with KT120 in triode mode and I can't really tell the difference between my friend's Sophia Royal Princess 300B vs. Tung-Sol KT120s.

I said I wouldn't hijack the thread........but it would be rude ignore a question. 
biggrin.gif

It's a single ended design.  I have JJ 300B's but I'm looking at the Emission Labs offering.  I really like my Valvo 1958 PCC88's in it.
I finished some scrap pieces of wood for the enclosure.   Les Paul style Figured Maple and walnut...

oops

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #8,562 of 8,735
Quote:
My Ebay seller - only sent me one Voskhod Rocket 1972 grey.  So I'm looking for another for purchase or trade.

It has a rather unique getter post - almost a single 'wire' as opposed to the flat plate on the '73s on.

Notice the plates are fully closed too vs the open plates of the straight getters, can see the triodes in those.

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #8,565 of 8,735
Quote:

I said I wouldn't hijack the thread........but it would be rude ignore a question. 
biggrin.gif

It's a single ended design.  I have JJ 300B's but I'm looking at the Emission Labs offering.  I really like my Valvo 1958 PCC88's in it.
I finished some scrap pieces of wood for the enclosure.   Les Paul style Figured Maple and walnut...

oops

Looks great! 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back