Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #4,126 of 8,735
All,

New to this thread.  Trying to decide on a good inexpensive amp to start out with.  It's come down to the Lyr and the Little Dot MK VI+.  Are there any companions between the two I can take a look at?

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #4,127 of 8,735
Quote:
All,

New to this thread.  Trying to decide on a good inexpensive amp to start out with.  It's come down to the Lyr and the Little Dot MK VI+.  Are there any companions between the two I can take a look at?

You're kidding....dual monos and a B22....and you're in the Lyr rolling thread?
eek.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,129 of 8,735
Quote:

yeah man - I have no tubes.  I really want a ECBA but I want to live with a more inexpensive amp first to decide if I like it or not before I go for the "gold".

Fair enough! It's a good plan.  For me I love tubes and tube rolling...and I love Lyr for that, but tubes can also be an aggrivating enough venture that I'm not sure I want my high-end amps to be tube.  I had my eye on a WA22 for HD650 (and now HD800) for a while, but thinking about the trials of tubes, I'm actually looking at Mjolnir, which has the side effect of being much cheaper too
biggrin.gif
  Though Lyr happens to be spectacular with HD650 and not half bad with HD800 either!

But yeah, part of me will always like tubes.  I just hate messing with big power tubes...Lyr's nice about that with the whole hybrid thing.  Haven't tried the LDMkVI+ though, so I'll bow out and let others respond to that one! :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4,130 of 8,735
Quote:
yeah man - I have no tubes.  I really want a ECBA but I want to live with a more inexpensive amp first to decide if I like it or not before I go for the "gold".

It may be of import that the ECBA is a tube amp, while the Lyr is a hybrid.  The latter may not be representative of the former (or of tube sound in general).

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #4,132 of 8,735
Quote:
Good point..  I just wanted to get the feel of the whole tube rolling thing.  

It's something that can turn into an addiction quickly.  How badly you become addicted depends on your personality and the tube type in question.  If you think the ECC88/E88CC/6DJ8/6922 etc. tube rolling presents complex possibilities, by comparison there is almost an endless number of 6SN7 variants available for rolling, which may potentially lead to an addiction that's *far* worse.

You're playing with fire.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #4,133 of 8,735
Quote:

It's something that can turn into an addiction quickly.  How badly you become addicted depends on your personality and the tube type in question.  If you think the ECC88/E88CC/6DJ8/6922 etc. tube rolling presents complex possibilities, by comparison there is almost an endless number of 6SN7 variants available for rolling, which may potentially lead to an addiction that's *far* worse.

This is silly. He'll get a stock pair and only buy 1 other pair for either backup or slight variety. And be allllllllllllll set. 
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,135 of 8,735
Quote:

Nothing bad will happen, I promise. 
evil_smiley.gif

I'm hoping for quite the opposite. I'd like to hear the prep man weep from wallet emptyitis. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #4,136 of 8,735
Quote:

Words to live by....

Quote:
This is silly. He'll get a stock pair and only buy 1 other pair for either backup or slight variety. And be allllllllllllll set. 
tongue.gif

You're right.  Someone should donate him a Lyr and a set of tubes.  So he can try it out just the once...  One time can't hurt...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
I'm hoping for quite the opposite. I'd like to hear the prep man weep from wallet emptyitis. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Within a month he'll have spent enough on tubes to buy a whole 7.1 surround of those Emo monoblocks.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

C'mon prep, just give it a try, all the cool headphiles are doing it....
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #4,137 of 8,735
Quote:

Words to live by....

You're right.  Someone should donate him a Lyr and a set of tubes.  So he can try it out just the once...  One time can't hurt...
evil_smiley.gif

Within a month he'll have spent enough on tubes to buy a whole 7.1 surround of those Emo monoblocks.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

C'mon prep, just give it a try, all the cool headphiles are doing it....
popcorn.gif

I disagree and am offended 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,139 of 8,735
Quote:
LOL. What....Why...He's crazy!

For a limited time you can enroll in our tube addition management classes at iemcrazy4audio.com.  Hurry spaces are limited and selling out fast!
cool.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #4,140 of 8,735
Quote:

For a limited time you can enroll in our tube addition management classes at iemcrazy4audio.com.  Hurry spaces are limited and selling out fast!
cool.gif

LOL!!! All I'ma say is...I better get a darn discount! 
blink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back