Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4,156 of 8,735
Quote:
Wait --  500 watt Mono Blocks tube amps to drive the HE-6s  - I'm all in - just show me the way.

Does anyone else smell something funny.....?
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #4,158 of 8,735
Hey all,

I glanced through the thread with the search function- but couldn't find a current answer.
What tubes do you guys think will pair best with a T1? Both best for the money- and best in general would be very appreciated. I'm using a lyr/bifrost setup.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4,160 of 8,735
Quote:
Wouldnt SS be better for T1? 
confused_face.gif

No....Valhalla would be better for something with such a ridiculously high impedance...Although the Lyr is just fine for either High-Impedance or High-Efficiency cans.

Kojaku

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #4,161 of 8,735
I'm still trying to accept the Gold Lion tubes as my all-rounder tubes, but I just don't think they'll do the job. Everything these tubes do is spectacular, except for the bass.  I just feel as though the bass quantity is insufficient at times.  I'm ok with this about 80%, but it's that other 20% of the time that I think will eventually lead me to other tubes.  I'm thinking of picking up some Mullards for my birthday, although I'm not sure they'd be the best combo with the LCD-2.2's.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #4,162 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm still trying to accept the Gold Lion tubes as my all-rounder tubes, but I just don't think they'll do the job. Everything these tubes do is spectacular, except for the bass.  I just feel as though the bass quantity is insufficient at times.  I'm ok with this about 80%, but it's that other 20% of the time that I think will eventually lead me to other tubes.  I'm thinking of picking up some Mullards for my birthday, although I'm not sure they'd be the best combo with the LCD-2.2's.

Mullards are the way to go, they'll fill the need of an everyday tube, while remaining an all-rounder.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4,163 of 8,735
Quote:
Mullards are the way to go, they'll fill the need of an everyday tube, while remaining an all-rounder.

This. ^^^

Loving those Mullards! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4,164 of 8,735
Quote:
This. ^^^

Loving those Mullards! 
biggrin.gif

You better! Or I'd be forced to request you send 'em to me. So you can move on with your life. Minus the me sending your money back. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #4,165 of 8,735
Oct 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #4,166 of 8,735
Will the Lyr + Bifrost be sufficient for HD800's? I'd like to experiment with tubes, but don't want to wish I would have went Mjolnir + Gungnir. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4,167 of 8,735
Quote:
Will the Lyr + Bifrost be sufficient for HD800's? I'd like to experiment with tubes, but don't want to wish I would have went Mjolnir + Gungnir. 

I think you'll wish you'd went with Mjolnir/Gungnir
biggrin.gif
   Don't get me wrong, Lyr + Bifrost + HD800 does actually sound great...it's very listenable, very enjoyable, and very nice to play with tubes with that set.  A lot of people could be happy and stop right there.  But if you started out considering MJ/Gungnir (Note I don't have MJ yet...soon...., and I don't have Gungnir but I have Woo WDS-1, which is better than Bifrost as well.) and I think certainly the better DAC is a good bet (who says you can't get Lyr + Gungnir if you want tubes but also the better source?), and I highly suspect that Mjolnir is a better performer for the HD800 to the point that I'm about to add one to my collection...

I'd say in either case, if you're worried about buyer's remorse, get the Gungnir off the bat whichever amp you get.  Bifrost is excellent, but we're talking HD800...the most painfully flaw finding headphone there is.  And even Bifrost is great with it.  But it can do more than that.  For the choice between MJ and Lyr, that's a bit more individual a choice.  MJ may be technically better in terms of noise floor, or detail, or whatever, but it's not tubes....and Lyr sounds very good...

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #4,169 of 8,735
Quote:

YES.  You got the custom title I've been hoping you'd get someday!

biggrin.gif

Yep!
biggrin.gif
  Sphinx noticed it first in the HD800 thread, he wins the cookie
wink_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back