Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3,721 of 8,735
Quote:
Now ya gotta tell us what tubes you're looking at picking up. 
biggrin.gif

sure thing  
gs1000.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3,722 of 8,735

Lo and behold, the Gold Aero 7308 Gold Series. Gold Aero was an American company that gathered rare, vintage NOS tubes from around the world, paired them by measuring and tight matching, and relabelled them as Gold Series. Apparently there's also the Silver Series, which are relatively newer tubes made in Russia and therefore cheaper. The pair I have are originally Amperex 7308 SQ, made in Holland during the 60's. Not only do they sound superb (I actually preferred these to German-made Lorenz PCC88 trimicas), they are the most beautiful tubes of the 6DJ8 family I've ever seen.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,724 of 8,735
I ordered a pair of used Mullard ECC88's from Parts Connection and they arrived today.  I just got through cleaning and polishing the pins and have inserted them into the Lyr.  Wow!  I noticed a more open high end right off the bat.  I will have to spend a few hours with these to settle in to form an opinion.  But the first 5 minutes are impressive.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #3,725 of 8,735
Quote:
After 20 hours, my first impressions of the RCA 6CG7 tubes (with side halo getter) are pretty much what Dailydoseofdaly and Misterrogers said...excellent bass extension that remains tight all the way down.  Warm, lush low end, mids, and highs.  No real exaggeration in any of the frequencies but a bit of rolloff in the highs.  Not recessed, but not upfront either.  "Buttery", maybe?  All I know is the music has a fullness as if you are getting the resonance of the wood in the stringed instruments and not just the sound of the string itself.  I am really liking this tube!  My favorite tracks of Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky" are 1 and 2, "Sirius" and "Eye in the Sky" and bass from the synthesizers was there!  "Red Wine" from Fresh Aire IV sounds so organic, it gives me goosebumps...

So, not too bad overall...
wink_face.gif

I haven't done a side-by-side comparo of the Lorenz and these but I will say that at the worst, these would be a close second to the Lorenz as my favorite tubes.  I will caveat my statement with the fact that this is the sound signature I like best.  Once I get over the "wow!" factor, that may change...but not by much. 
biggrin.gif

Hey, they're pretty cheap...not much to lose if you don't like them.  I will say they run hotter in the Lyr than my others but I believe that's because I'm not using socket savers with them (they're already tall) and most of the heat is dumped into the amp (still not an issue according to Schiit Audio).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

I bought RCA Clear Top made Zenith relabeld 6CG7/6FQ7 with Halo Side Getters & Grey Plates and agree with your impressions. I have a pair of 60s Siemens & Halske E188CC. And this RCA Clear tops are close to the S&H. The bass has very good extension and is tight. All in all a lot better than stock tubes and the 6H23P-EV. The tonality is special with these tubes. It has a bit of a romatic character. Either you like it or not. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3,726 of 8,735
Alright bought a pair of 6cg7 black plates from Brent Jessee today. Can't wait to check them out, I'll hit up some impressions when they come in. Thanks again Mike for the heads up. They still have 2 pair left btw

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,727 of 8,735
  Your Welcome,and,your going to love-em...what headphones are you using???

Out of all the rca's I ordered on e-bay...Jesse's were/are the best sounding...NOS..beautiful.
I do prefer the blackplates ,over the side getters..seems to have a slight edge with a, deeper bass???..just a question of taste..

I got bashed for pushing these tubes..from some members, of the lorenz snobo group,{shall remain nameless }..but I still stand by my claims.
My ears & I ,know what we like...

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,728 of 8,735
Quote:

Out of all the rca's I ordered on e-bay...Jesse's were/are the best sounding...NOS..beautiful.
I do prefer the blackplates ,over the side getters..seems to have a slight edge with a, deeper bass???..just a question of taste..

I got bashed for pushing these tubes..from some members, of the lorenz snobo group,{shall remain nameless }..but I still stand by my claims.

They'd be "ok" if only they were cryo'ed. 
tongue.gif

The black plates I also prefer over the side getters, I got some weird horseshoe getter which I am still undecided about.
but idk Mike are ya sure your ears aren't full of wax or crap? 
wink_face.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3,729 of 8,735
Gee,why I'm not surprised.......I knew you'd be throwing your .02cents in...LOL
Where you flying over my computer, as I responded.??

"ya sure your ears aren't full of wax or crap?"-I have a feeling it might be both ..or..cryo'ed wax/crap..{only available in NYC}.

I have a pair of these horseshoe tubes-I'll send them down to you,and,no,they are not cryo'ed.

Let me know...,but,Jesse's are better!!!

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,730 of 8,735

I'm using them mainly with my lcd2s and the k701 gets a little time in there too. I dig the clear tops with both so I have high hopes for the blackplates.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,731 of 8,735
Quote:
Gee,why I'm not surprised.......I knew you'd be throwing your .02cents in...LOL
Where you flying over my computer, as I responded.??

"ya sure your ears aren't full of wax or crap?"-I have a feeling it might be both ..or..cryo'ed wax/crap..{only available in NYC}.

I have a pair of these horseshoe tubes-I'll send them down to you,and,no,they are not cryo'ed.

Let me know...,but,Jesse's are better!!!

Problem? 
biggrin.gif

Soo what...I've always got an eye out...

I have a pair of the horseshoe tubes but don't know much about them. I will say I don't really favor their sound.
They are more in the clear tops kind of alley.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3,732 of 8,735
No Problem Ever.......

These tubes were all over e-bay ,at unbelievable low prices,so,I ended up picking up many pairs,just to do a comparison.
Should have thrown my money out the window..it would have been easier....again,Jesse;s are the best..imho.....,NOS

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3,733 of 8,735
Quote:
No Problem Ever.......

These tubes were all over e-bay ,at unbelievable low prices,so,I ended up picking up many pairs,just to do a comparison.
Should have thrown my money out the window..it would have been easier....again,Jesse;s are the best..imho.....,NOS

I was watching as you bought your horeshoe's on eBay on your computer. So I got the same pair as you. 
Agreed they aren't very good 

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3,734 of 8,735
Nothing new I see acceptI have a new nick name hahaha "Mr Skull and bones" via Lorth Sloth or whtever..actually that is a truth because my name is derived from someone that plays a skull and bones guitar..
Nothing new I see..  chasing Lorenz.. Ohhh and I like these RCA tubbbbyyys... They sound great especially if you add in a BBE sonic maximizer but even alone they are better than the average..

OK back to sleep..

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,735 of 8,735
Currently Im rolling between 2 sets: CV2492 Mullard and E88CC Tesla. 

I kinda prefer the Mullards for my K701 since they are slightly warmer and have significantly better and deeper bass. The vocals are truly better, especially the female, though I cant really decide on the male (it differs with the headphone) :p

Since you guys are into this quite a lot, you probably have an idea which tubes could do EVEN better with the AKG K70Xs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back