Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #3,706 of 8,735
I'm just speculating, would like to hear your thoughts if you get some time with them.
Nerolucido,the build looks like the Lorenz's I have. Only difference is mine don't have the three dots next to the "p". Lord soth might be more familiar with that marking

Thanks Daly. Next to the black dots there's a "WP" writing in black, overlapping the first two white letters.
And, paradoxper, what about the blackplates you've got? How do they fare against the clear tops?

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3,707 of 8,735
I did a bit of rolling yesterday with the arrival of a few sets of my new tubes.  Tungsram PCC88 and National PCC88.  Testing was fairly brief, and all testing was done on AKG K702s.  It was a convenient ABX with two Lyrs, one with my beloved Mullard CV2392s, the other with the the "testing" tubes, each with their own pair of AKGs.  The part I don't get is that in the end I may have found, at least for K702, I may actually like both better than the Mullards.  But I haven't tried them on the real heavyweight can of the mix the HD650 yet, which I know really sings with the Mullards and makes up nearly all of my non-Classical (HE-400 & K702) non-Electronic (D5k) listening.  The Mullards are well burned in while the others are new out of the box though.  I found the Nationals were a bit Mullard like, as is to be expected from the Mullard tooling, but they were a little more syrupy, and I swear had a bigger soundstage.  They have a really nice organic texture to them, though the lush mids of the Mullards are less present.  They may have a softer upper-midrange, though which is a nice EQ for K702 but I'm not sure how that'll work with the 650s. 

The Tungsrams in comparison to the Nationals and Mullards seem to be bass-shy and far brighter.  The big midbass presence the others show seems to be missing, though the sub-bass still seems as present as ever and possibly tighter.  But the feeling of bottom weight is almost gone and is replaced by a brighter but very fast top end.  Despite that K70x is very fatiguing normally to me, there was something addictive about that combination even though I should like the drippier Mullards and Nationals better for those.

The GE 6BZ7's in contrast are better than I remembered them actually.  A bit more sterile and SS like, but very neutral and still with a hint of tube smoothness that the SS can't match.  The GE's make for an SS amp with a bit of tube rounding to take off the digital edge.  The others make for tube sound with a hint of SS clarity
biggrin.gif

For now though the Mullards are back in since they've become my main tube. I may rotate between the three periodically.  Maybe change up my sound with the seasons or something like that.  Maybe I'll try some Amperex or Telefunken in the future.  But that makes a pretty nice collection already for periodic sound changes. Of course that still depends on tube lifespan
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

What's crazy about the Tungsrams?  They're nice tubes.  I agree about the treble and bass extension of them, but do feel they're bass shy overall compared to the other two warmer tubes I tried.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #3,708 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm just speculating, would like to hear your thoughts if you get some time with them.
Nerolucido,the build looks like the Lorenz's I have. Only difference is mine don't have the three dots next to the "p". Lord soth might be more familiar with that marking

Would you like to know what I think about the RCA clear tops then?

Lord Soth doesn't know about those markings. I've already asked. Mrrogers too, but he did say he would look into it. I know he's busy though. 
He needs to get a picture of the getter for a better look.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3,709 of 8,735
Quote:
 paradoxper, what about the blackplates you've got? How do they fare against the clear tops?

All I will say is I feel there IMO both were hyped too much. In regards to comparisons to CCa's and Lorenz.
I disagree with the clear tops or the black plates coming very close to their performance. But we all have differing opinions
which is great, take all of our views with a grain of salt. The clear tops had the recessed highs that bothered me very much as well as lack of bass (severely) I wouldn't say they are so terrible, 
but that they're not my cup of tea.

The black plates are much better to my ears. They've in fact replaced my beloved Mullard CV2393's as the everyday tube. I still haven't spent too much time with them, so I'll save the depth of details for later. IMO they are a very nice tube though, and they do not suffer from
from the recessed highs, or missing bass. So far the only thing about them is they're just a tiny bit noisy, but only when music isn't playing.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,710 of 8,735
Would you like to know what I think about the RCA clear tops then?

Lord Soth doesn't know about those markings. I've already asked. Mrrogers too, but he did say he would look into it. I know he's busy though. 
He needs to get a picture of the getter for a better look.

Thanks for your input.
As far as I can see, the getter over here is "O" shaped. I'll try to get a picture later, don't expect it to be meaningful though.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #3,711 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for your input.
As far as I can see, the getter over here is "O" shaped. I'll try to get a picture later, don't expect it to be meaningful though.

Then you've most likely got a 3-mica. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #3,712 of 8,735
All I will say is I feel there IMO both were hyped too much. In regards to comparisons to CCa's and Lorenz.
I disagree with the clear tops or the black plates coming very close to their performance. But we all have differing opinions
which is great, take all of our views with a grain of salt. The clear tops had the recessed highs that bothered me very much as well as lack of bass (severely) I wouldn't say they are so terrible, 
but that they're not my cup of tea.

The black plates are much better to my ears. They've in fact replaced my beloved Mullard CV2393's as the everyday tube. I still haven't spent too much time with them, so I'll save the depth of details for later. IMO they are a very nice tube though, and they do not suffer from
from the recessed highs, or missing bass. So far the only thing about them is they're just a tiny bit noisy, but only when music isn't playing.

Thanks for the impression, guess I'll have to hunt down a black plate

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,716 of 8,735
Quote:
I've gotten mine from tubemonger, upscale audio, audiogon, eBay, and some of the best deals I've found are right here in the for sale section

x2

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,717 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the impression, guess I'll have to hunt down a black plate

I just got a pair from Brent Jesse-matched pair,excellent SQ ..NOS
here is the link:

http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm

Scroll down on the left side until you see-6CG7 USA NOS Blackplates.
Brent holds these in high regard,and of course comes, with his money back warranty

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,718 of 8,735
I just got a pair from Brent Jesse-matched pair,excellent SQ ..NOS
here is the link:

http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm

Scroll down on the left side until you see-6CG7 USA NOS Blackplates.
Brent holds these in high regard,and of course comes, with his money back warranty

Thanks mike, might have to pick up a pair

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #3,720 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back