Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,736 of 8,735
Quote:
Nothing new I see acceptI have a new nick name hahaha "Mr Skull and bones" via Lorth Sloth or whtever..actually that is a truth because my name is derived from someone that plays a skull and bones guitar..
Nothing new I see..  chasing Lorenz.. Ohhh and I like these RCA tubbbbyyys... They sound great especially if you add in a BBE sonic maximizer but even alone they are better than the average..

OK back to sleep..

I've seen the BBE maximizer mentioned but I can never figure out exactly what it is.  Is it basically just a single tone DSP?  Also, don't they only come balanced?

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,737 of 8,735
Currently Im rolling between 2 sets: CV2492 Mullard and E88CC Tesla. 

I kinda prefer the Mullards for my K701 since they are slightly warmer and have significantly better and deeper bass. The vocals are truly better, especially the female, though I cant really decide on the male (it differs with the headphone) :p

Since you guys are into this quite a lot, you probably have an idea which tubes could do EVEN better with the AKG K70Xs?

My favs for the k701 that are not difficult to find are the 6cg7 rca clear tops (best combo to me) and matsu****a nationals from tubemonger are my second favorite for the k701.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3,738 of 8,735
I've seen the BBE maximizer mentioned but I can never figure out exactly what it is.  Is it basically just a single tone DSP?  Also, don't they only come balanced?

I use to have one for my guitar it's more of an eq with a low freq boost. Drop d with thick distortion and the sonic maximizer is nasty, sounds like it could take the house down. I don't think it has a balanced i/o, probably just se for instruments

Edit.
BBE did come out with a balanced model called the 882

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #3,741 of 8,735
This is why friends don't let friends use 6n1p's in a Lyr. Notice the non-linear operating point. Also note the heater transformer drops down to 5.7VAC min spec is 6. All in all pick this tube for the guitar amp distortion effect, its not optimal.
34pifl4.jpg] Also the MKP caps have to go, since following a pair of expensive tubes with a mid teir cap is arguably wasted potential. Amperex Orange Globe operating point was 2.6V cathode 105V plate, ~ 6mA, see the Amperex datasheet to see how this is in a much higher mid operating point (more linear, less distortion.) Since the Amperex Orange fell into such a nice linear region with this amp I decided to replace the Wima caps with Vitamin Q's, keeping the vintage theme. They are a bit big and a pain to install I am sure there are modern caps that would match much better, but at least now I am listening to the tube instead of the cap. And now hope to investigate better tubes than the amperex orange globe dimpled getter a frames. Have some early '60s Amperex 6dj8's on the way.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,742 of 8,735
Quote:

The rest of you Lyr owners: Come on. :)

Let´s make this thread a knowledge base.

This place is a great knowledge base.. thanks for everything guys.

However, here comes the annoying guy again. I have the Lyr for some time, and im looking to tackle a new purchase (headphone).

I am very interested in the HE-500s.

I have been reading about them a lot, and I have a feeling that I might like them. I would really like to know what are your experiences (if there are any, i found only a few post in this thread about them) with them.. especially in the matter of tube rolling.

I have noticed that the Lyr can be rather veil at times, believe it or not, even veil for my K701. (I use the CV2492 Mullard).

I like revealing headphones.. but I also want some musicality. I hope that the HE-500s can deliver that and I hope there is a specific tube that will allow for that.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,743 of 8,735
Quote:

This place is a great knowledge base.. thanks for everything guys.

However, here comes the annoying guy again. I have the Lyr for some time, and im looking to tackle a new purchase (headphone).

I am very interested in the HE-500s.

I have been reading about them a lot, and I have a feeling that I might like them. I would really like to know what are your experiences (if there are any, i found only a few post in this thread about them) with them.. especially in the matter of tube rolling.

I have noticed that the Lyr can be rather veil at times, believe it or not, even veil for my K701. (I use the CV2492 Mullard).

I like revealing headphones.. but I also want some musicality. I hope that the HE-500s can deliver that and I hope there is a specific tube that will allow for that.

If you're feeling there is a veil perhaps you should try out some Siemen CCa, Telefunken or Lorenz. I didn't care much for the CV2492 Mullards,
but we all have our preferences.

I had the HE-500 on loan for a few months, I also had the HE-6. IMO the HE-500 is a great headphone, it's on par with the Audeze line.
And felt more balanced than the HE-6. It's a warm lush headphone with plenty of detail, good mids and balanced treble.
Has good and wide soundstage better than LCD-2 to my ears. Bass is pretty good, though not as good or natural/realistic as LCD-2.
What I enjoyed the most about the HE-500 was how good the mids were, I found them to sound natural, detailed and clear.
While being balanced in the treble area I still found them to brighter than I like. So I did not keep them.(Not too much not to like about that headphone.)

Many people have compared them to the HD600 for its slightly neutral but warm-ish sound.
Depending on your preferences they could be a great can for you. I'd also recommend looking at the HE-400

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3,744 of 8,735
Has anyone tried ECC189 tubes with their Lyr?

Found a site selling them fairly inexpensively http://www.nostubestore.com/search?updated-max=2012-01-28T03:22:00%2B02:00&max-results=10&reverse-paginate=true

Miniwatt's from Holland and Mullards from the UK.

Quote:
MINIWATT DARIO ECC189 Holland
Made in 1971 by Heerlen/Holland factory of Philips. All tubes are in pristine condition and have same factory codes. These are A-Frame Dimpled Drum Getter type.
The ECC189 was designed for VHF tuner intputs in TV sets as PCC/ECC189, used briefly in the early 1960s in Europe. Contrary to what is said by some e-auction sellers this is NOT an exact drop-in replacement for ECC88/6922 family tubes because of its variable mu. But it is still risk-free, pin compatible alternative to ECC88/6922 tubes especially in small signal levels and with a different sound. It will perfectly serve as cathode follower as well.
Interesting tube for DIY'ers, manufacturers and those who want to experiment. Matched pairs available.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #3,745 of 8,735
Quote:
Nothing new I see acceptI have a new nick name hahaha "Mr Skull and bones" via Lorth Sloth or whtever..actually that is a truth because my name is derived from someone that plays a skull and bones guitar..
Nothing new I see..  chasing Lorenz.. Ohhh and I like these RCA tubbbbyyys... They sound great especially if you add in a BBE sonic maximizer but even alone they are better than the average..

OK back to sleep..

Lord Sloth?
blink.gif

Now it's my turn to go to sleep!
ph34r.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #3,746 of 8,735
Quote:
Has anyone tried ECC189 tubes with their Lyr?

Found a site selling them fairly inexpensively http://www.nostubestore.com/search?updated-max=2012-01-28T03:22:00%2B02:00&max-results=10&reverse-paginate=true

Miniwatt's from Holland and Mullards from the UK.

ECC189. I have not played with those tubes per se because their variable mu nature is really dicey.

Based on theory, there is a certain range whereby the ECC189 tube exhibits linear sonic qualities.
This is highly dependent on the tube amp.

If you know the exact B+ voltage for the Schitt Lyr, in theory, one can then check the ECC189 datasheet and then decide.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,747 of 8,735
After many months of saying I don't need it and never hitting the button, I finally pulled the trigger on a shiny new Lyr to sit atop my bifrost. I see theres a ton of good information on tubes in this thread. I'm using both the prehistoric (now) HE-5 and sony SA-5000. I'm looking for the best possible tubes I can get. My major concern is soundstage and warmth. Which sets of tubes will give me unbelievable soundstage without being too bright for my already bright cans? thanks

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3,748 of 8,735
Quote:
After many months of saying I don't need it and never hitting the button, I finally pulled the trigger on a shiny new Lyr to sit atop my bifrost. I see theres a ton of good information on tubes in this thread. I'm using both the prehistoric (now) HE-5 and sony SA-5000. I'm looking for the best possible tubes I can get. My major concern is soundstage and warmth. Which sets of tubes will give me unbelievable soundstage without being too bright for my already bright cans? thanks

I have went through about 20 matched sets so far and the  best sound stage and just liquid sounding affordable tubes to my ears so far are the [size=x-small]Siemens 6DJ8[/size] and /or the [size=x-small]Lorenz PCC 88. The Siemens sound stage is just fantastic.[/size]

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3,749 of 8,735
Quote:
I have went through about 20 matched sets so far and the  best sound stage and just liquid sounding affordable tubes to my ears so far are the [size=x-small]Siemens 6DJ8[/size] and /or the [size=x-small]Lorenz PCC 88. The Siemens sound stage is just fantastic.[/size]

That seems to be the "general consensus" around these parts. Have you tried any of the clear tops or black plates? Many rollers seem to liken them to Siemens and Lorenz.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,750 of 8,735
Big day Siemens & Halske pcc88 3mica and the 6cg7 black plates came in today, impressions soon.
Mikek what are you black plates branded?

Here's a fact i found researching tubes today that you may or may not find interesting. The 6cg7 is electrically equivalent to the 6sn7, the difference being the 6cg7 has a 9-pin miniature base, verses the 6sn7's 8-pin octal base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back