Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,586 of 8,735
Quote:
May i know which dac will pair well with the lyrs for the lcds? I wouldnt want spend more than 400USDs on the dac component.

I ended up getting this one:
  http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7
Price is good,build quality is even better-....Schiit stands by there products..

You might be able to pick one up...used,on the sell forum,&,
You should be getting a few replies on this topic...& many Dacs to choose from.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #3,587 of 8,735
I ended up getting this one:
  http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7
Price is good,build quality is even better-....Schiit stands by there products..

You might be able to pick one up...used,on the sell forum,&,
You should be getting a few replies on this topic...& many Dacs to choose from.

For the bitfrost, do i have to select the usb option if i want a direct usb connection to my computer ordoes it actually refer to something else?

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,588 of 8,735
Quote:
For the bitfrost, do i have to select the usb option if i want a direct usb connection to my computer ordoes it actually refer to something else?

ive heard the bifrost/lyr/lcd2 combo several times and really enjoyed it as well. yes you need to select usb as an options if you want to connect it to your computer via usb

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,589 of 8,735
Quote:

I got a little OCD this morning and decided to clean the pins on my Amperex tubes.  The pins were black with oxidation.  I used MAAS metal polish and Q-Tips to clean the oxidation off the pins and got them nice and shiny.  Then I took a Q-Tip and sprayed it with Pro Gold G5 which claims to clean, improve conductivity and lubricates metal surfaces and then wiped down the pins.  I think the tubes went back into the sockets easier.  I use MAAS on all of the ends of my interconnects and power plugs to get them nice and clean.  I found that to be one of the best cheap tweaks someone can do to improve the sound of their systems.  

Would this work as well?

http://www.amazon.com/BlueMagic-400-Metal-Polish-Cream/dp/B000BO8Z9I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339441747&sr=8-6

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,590 of 8,735
Quote:
Maybe it's the Lyr's heater voltage (but then why would they be cautious about tubes with different voltages? :p ), but most of it is tubes.  The 6BZ7 from Japan barely glowed at all.  By contrast the USA 6BZ7s glowed like  Chernobyl at sunrise.  The Mullard 2492s glow as little as or less than the Japanese GEs.   Maybe Lyrs vary but mostly I think it's just the lements on various tube models.

You could be right about the various tube models. But in comparison my Lorenz all of them, Siemens all of them, Mullards all of them, amongst various Amperex, GE, and crappy Russian tubes
glow, well, the same. It worried me at first but then Jason confirmed that Lyrs just vary. The sound is of all importance to me, so it's alright.

"Jason, I need a RMA, my Lyr doesn't make tubes glow enough!" that'll go over so well.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3,591 of 8,735
Quote:
You could be right about the various tube models. But in comparison my Lorenz all of them, Siemens all of them, Mullards all of them, amongst various Amperex, GE, and crappy Russian tubes
glow, well, the same. It worried me at first but then Jason confirmed that Lyrs just vary. The sound is of all importance to me, so it's alright.

"Jason, I need a RMA, my Lyr doesn't make tubes glow enough!" that'll go over so well.

LOL!  You never know, Jason is a great guy...he might just issue you an RMA. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,592 of 8,735
Quote:
LOL!  You never know, Jason is a great guy...he might just issue you an RMA. 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

No, you're right. But I'd honestly feel like an ass

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,593 of 8,735
Quote:
No, you're right. But I'd honestly feel like an ass

All kidding aside though, you could always send it in to have Schiit check it over and ensure everything is functioning ok.  I'll probably do that at least once before my five year warranty runs out.
If it checks out ok, then just shine a little red light at the top of the tube and call it good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,594 of 8,735
Quote:
Cool.. no special audiophine voodoo contact cleaner.. I like it!

www.iemcrazy4audio.com/productid?cryotreated-argon-contactcleaner.asp

$79.99 3oz spray bottle
SPECIAL for Lyr tube rollers $59.99 (Use code "iemasucker" at checkout)

:p

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3,595 of 8,735
Quote:
www.iemcrazy4audio.com/productid?cryotreated-argon-contactcleaner.asp

$79.99 3oz spray bottle
SPECIAL for Lyr tube rollers $59.99 (Use code "iemasucker" at checkout)

:p

WOW!!  Is that really with free shipping?

I'm there!  Somewhere!  ...or not...
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Bull Shannon is my hero!

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,596 of 8,735
Quote:
All kidding aside though, you could always send it in to have Schiit check it over and ensure everything is functioning ok.  I'll probably do that at least once before my five year warranty runs out.
If it checks out ok, then just shine a little red light at the top of the tube and call it good.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I might do that after I order Mjolnir. Why ya gotta tease me, HK? 
redface.gif
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3,597 of 8,735
Quote:

Interesting, though i have two Lyrs, and both glow the same way with the same tubes.  The USA GEs are the only ones that glow bright.  Of course my main one also fries headphones...one of these days ill get around to RMAing it when i fee i wont miss it for 2 or 3 weeks.  :p  It sounds fine in the mean time :)

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3,599 of 8,735
Quote:
Interesting, though i have two Lyrs, and both glow the same way with the same tubes.  The USA GEs are the only ones that glow bright.  Of course my main one also fries headphones...one of these days ill get around to RMAing it when i fee i wont miss it for 2 or 3 weeks.  :p  It sounds fine in the mean time :)

LOL Why does your main one fry headphones? Of course the GEs glow the brightest. Jason specifically made sure he'd sabotage our CCa/Lorenz light shows. 
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back