Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #3,571 of 8,735
Quote:
Nifty stufff, and I get how they'd work for microphonics/viration damping.  But claims like "allows mustic to flow more freely makes me put anti-snake-oil goggles at the top of my "want" list :)

I understand.  To me it's just marketing spin.  I got the socket savers to make it easier to get the tubes out of the Lyr and the dampers to reduce microphonics.  I didn't look at the "marketing speak", but I did get them due to other Head-Fi'ers recommendations that they would do what I wanted.  I tend to blow off the snake-oil sales talk.  But there are some excellent little products out there (like the Herbies Dampers) that are worth a try (and some that aren't).  I had gotten cheap silicon O-ring dampers before the Herbies ones and as soon as I put one on, it rubbed the label off the tube (I wasn't happy).  The Herbies won't do that.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #3,572 of 8,735
After 20 hours, my first impressions of the RCA 6CG7 tubes (with side halo getter) are pretty much what Dailydoseofdaly and Misterrogers said...excellent bass extension that remains tight all the way down.  Warm, lush low end, mids, and highs.  No real exaggeration in any of the frequencies but a bit of rolloff in the highs.  Not recessed, but not upfront either.  "Buttery", maybe?  All I know is the music has a fullness as if you are getting the resonance of the wood in the stringed instruments and not just the sound of the string itself.  I am really liking this tube!  My favorite tracks of Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky" are 1 and 2, "Sirius" and "Eye in the Sky" and bass from the synthesizers was there!  "Red Wine" from Fresh Aire IV sounds so organic, it gives me goosebumps...

So, not too bad overall...
wink_face.gif

I haven't done a side-by-side comparo of the Lorenz and these but I will say that at the worst, these would be a close second to the Lorenz as my favorite tubes.  I will caveat my statement with the fact that this is the sound signature I like best.  Once I get over the "wow!" factor, that may change...but not by much. 
biggrin.gif

Hey, they're pretty cheap...not much to lose if you don't like them.  I will say they run hotter in the Lyr than my others but I believe that's because I'm not using socket savers with them (they're already tall) and most of the heat is dumped into the amp (still not an issue according to Schiit Audio).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3,573 of 8,735
Quote:
After 20 hours, my first impressions of the RCA 6CG7 tubes (with side halo getter) are pretty much what Dailydoseofdaly and Misterrogers said...excellent bass extension that remains tight all the way down.  Warm, lush low end, mids, and highs.  No real exaggeration in any of the frequencies but a bit of rolloff in the highs.  Not recessed, but not upfront either.  "Buttery", maybe?  All I know is the music has a fullness as if you are getting the resonance of the wood in the stringed instruments and not just the sound of the string itself.  I am really liking this tube!  My favorite tracks of Alan Parsons Project "Eye in the Sky" are 1 and 2, "Sirius" and "Eye in the Sky" and bass from the synthesizers was there!  "Red Wine" from Fresh Aire IV sounds so organic, it gives me goosebumps...

wink_face.gif

I haven't done a side-by-side comparo of the Lorenz and these but I will say that at the worst, these would be a close second to the Lorenz as my favorite tubes.  I will caveat my statement with the fact that this is the sound signature I like best.  Once I get over the "wow!" factor, that may change...but not by much. 
biggrin.gif

Hey, they're pretty cheap...not much to lose if you don't like them.  I will say they run hotter in the Lyr than my others but I believe that's because I'm not using socket savers with them (they're already tall) and most of the heat is dumped into the amp (still not an issue according to Schiit Audio).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

I've had 20+ hrs on mine now as well, and I have to agree.  They sound great.  Electronic music isn't the best (but the hd650's aren't the best headphones for that anyways), but classical music... it just sounds amazing.  String instruments especially.  I'm excited to swap the tubes out to see how the other two sets of tubes I bought sound.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,574 of 8,735
Yea, these run hot in ANY amp - I don't know why really, must be the design points. Hey, they could glow red for all I care 
wink_face.gif
 Just keep pumping out those sweet, organic sounds. A Clear Top in a pimped out CTH (Belleson Super Regulator, Hovland caps) is a giant killer. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #3,575 of 8,735
Quote:

wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

My impressions as well,...I was actually waiting for your report on these tubes HK...tnx
Can I ask...which headphones were you using??

"Close second to the Lorenz"...wow ,that says it all...

Wondering what the blackplates, version will sound like?
I should have them  in a few days...I will post some of my thoughts,after 10-20 hours .

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,576 of 8,735
Quote:
My impressions as well,...I was actually waiting for your report on these tubes HK...tnx
Can I ask...which headphones were you using??

"Close second to the Lorenz"...wow ,that says it all...

Wondering what the blackplates, version will sound like?
I should have them  in a few days...I will post some of my thoughts,after 10-20 hours .

Audeze LCD-3 with Q-Audio cable.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,577 of 8,735
HK, I forget, did you ever try the Siemens CCa tubes?  Very expensive and I would likely have never bought if Mr. Scary didn't sell a pair at a good price.    
For me it went CCa > Lorenz but we all have different favorites.
I do miss the Lyr.  Looking forward to the Schiit statement amp so I can roll 6922 tubes again like you guys 
beerchug.gif
.  My wallet doesn't miss rolling though 
wink.gif

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,578 of 8,735
      Quote:
HK, I forget, did you ever try the Siemens CCa tubes?  Very expensive and I would likely have never bought if Mr. Scary didn't sell a pair at a good price.    
For me it went CCa > Lorenz but we all have different favorites.
I do miss the Lyr.  Looking forward to the Schiit statement amp so I can roll 6922 tubes again like you guys 
beerchug.gif
.  My wallet doesn't miss rolling though 
wink.gif

It's nice to hear from you!  I actually did get some of the Siemens CCa tubes and while they sounded wonderful, they really didn't have a strong bottom end (we are talking tubes here, arent we?
wink_face.gif
).  That's about the time someone (Misterrogers, I believe) suggested the Lorenz PCC88s which had the three dimensionality of the CCa's, but also had a tight, round...er...bass.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, that was my first impression of the Lorenz 3-micas...CCa's with bass.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,579 of 8,735
The Lorenz 3-mica did not have the dimensionality of the CCa's.  I also preferred the timbre of instruments and vocals with the CCa's.  But definitely, bass went to the Lorenz tubes.  But again, that was my experience with my CCa and Lorenz tubes.  But we are splitting hairs here, for me, CCa #1, Lorenz #2.  I listen mostly to jazz for which there is not a lot of bass.  I can see how people that listen to other genres of music would prefer a tube that delivers more low end punch.

I need to pay attention to this thread just in case somebody finds the last case of Lorenz tubes on some obscure website 
biggrin.gif
.  Plus, this is a great thread to keep up with what's hot in 6922, 6DJ8, 7DJ8, ECC88, CV2492/3 and 6N1P tubes.  Now 6CG7 tubes.  Cool stuff.

Quote:
      Quote:
It's nice to hear from you!  I actually did get some of the Siemens CCa tubes and while they sounded wonderful, they really didn't have a strong bottom end (we are talking tubes here, arent we?
wink_face.gif
).  That's about the time someone (Misterrogers, I believe) suggested the Lorenz PCC88s which had the three dimensionality of the CCa's, but also had a tight, round...er...bass.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, that was my first impression of the Lorenz 3-micas...CCa's with bass.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3,580 of 8,735
Since we're on the verge of another round of tube rolling 6CG7s, has anyone considered using adapters for the older 6SN7s?  Likely socket savers would have to be used to raise the adapter to the point you could get a tube in it.  Just now starting to do some Google research to see the differences (biggest one I see is that the heater circuits run at 600ma).

Yeah, it might wind up looking like a FrankenLyr, but if we're opening the door for a new type of tube, why not kick it open all the way? :)

Edit: how cool would these look on top of your Lyr?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULLARD-ECC34-MATCHED-PAIR-full-NOS-NEW-in-box-BEAUTIFUL-/160764255036?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item256e4bdb3c

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,581 of 8,735
Quote:
I understand.  To me it's just marketing spin.  I got the socket savers to make it easier to get the tubes out of the Lyr and the dampers to reduce microphonics.  I didn't look at the "marketing speak", but I did get them due to other Head-Fi'ers recommendations that they would do what I wanted.  I tend to blow off the snake-oil sales talk.  But there are some excellent little products out there (like the Herbies Dampers) that are worth a try (and some that aren't).  I had gotten cheap silicon O-ring dampers before the Herbies ones and as soon as I put one on, it rubbed the label off the tube (I wasn't happy).  The Herbies won't do that.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yeah, I didn't say they don't help with microphonics, and if I get a badly microphonic tube, I may ask you for that link again :)  I just kind of roll my eyes at crazy marketing spin like that....

So...you actually mentioned the 6CG7's to Jason and he didn't blow a gasket?
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,582 of 8,735
May i know which dac will pair well with the lyrs for the lcds? I wouldnt want spend more than 400USDs on the dac component.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #3,583 of 8,735
      Quote:
Yeah, I didn't say they don't help with microphonics, and if I get a badly microphonic tube, I may ask you for that link again :)  I just kind of roll my eyes at crazy marketing spin like that....

So...you actually mentioned the 6CG7's to Jason and he didn't blow a gasket?
biggrin.gif

No, he didn't.  He just said Schiit designed the Lyr for the 6922 tube family so he didn't think the 6CG7 would perform at its optimal level in the Lyr.
Not a bad sound for a tube that isn't performing at its fullest.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3,584 of 8,735
Quote:
A friend of mine is a tube fiend and he strongly recommended that I get some contact cleaner or really fine steel wool to clean the pins.
Any opinions?

I got a little OCD this morning and decided to clean the pins on my Amperex tubes.  The pins were black with oxidation.  I used MAAS metal polish and Q-Tips to clean the oxidation off the pins and got them nice and shiny.  Then I took a Q-Tip and sprayed it with Pro Gold G5 which claims to clean, improve conductivity and lubricates metal surfaces and then wiped down the pins.  I think the tubes went back into the sockets easier.  I use MAAS on all of the ends of my interconnects and power plugs to get them nice and clean.  I found that to be one of the best cheap tweaks someone can do to improve the sound of their systems.  

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,585 of 8,735
Cool.. no special audiophine voodoo contact cleaner.. I like it!
Quote:

I got a little OCD this morning and decided to clean the pins on my Amperex tubes.  The pins were black with oxidation.  I used MAAS metal polish and Q-Tips to clean the oxidation off the pins and got them nice and shiny.  Then I took a Q-Tip and sprayed it with Pro Gold G5 which claims to clean, improve conductivity and lubricates metal surfaces and then wiped down the pins.  I think the tubes went back into the sockets easier.  I use MAAS on all of the ends of my interconnects and power plugs to get them nice and clean.  I found that to be one of the best cheap tweaks someone can do to improve the sound of their systems.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back