Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3,556 of 8,735
Quote:
hahah Yea man, that is exactly what happens too!

I used SS one time, I actually found them to be a pain, it's not that hard to pull the tubes out of it's original sockets. And I also have a weak heater. So my tubes don't 
glow all gloriously. 
frown.gif

You could easily solve this problem by just rolling in Lorenz, they get mildly warm at best. 
tongue_smile.gif

Even though Keven at Upscale says you don't need to worry about finger oils on the glass, I still wouldn't want finger oils on the glass and wouldn't touch the tubes plain.  But with tube gloves or any other ripping surface the main sockets are simple.  Gold pin tubes are a real cinch, the 6BZ7s are a bit more annoying.

I agree with the glow.  My Japaneze original 6BZ7s had almost no glow.  Changed to the US 6BZ7s, and got the bright vivid glow I always dreamed of.   Moved to the mullards and was dissappointed by the pansy little heater glow.   LIstened to them, and stopped caring.  Quickly. :)

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3,558 of 8,735
A friend of mine is a tube fiend and he strongly recommended that I get some contact cleaner or really fine steel wool to clean the pins.
Any opinions?

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3,559 of 8,735
Quote:
Not even big power tubes will throw the kind of heat those NEC IPS panels throw.  I don't think the tubes are at issue :) 

Really-thank you IEM..

I dont expect to get anything to cool my monitor down,but maybe a slight improvement can be had, using the other type of tube cooler shown in HK's pictures..the Lry/bifrost is sitting directly in front of my monitor
If some reduction of heat is possible,I will use them
I'm trying to avoid the brass coolers from Brent Jesse, possibly causing damage to my tubes,or the inside of the Lyr.

HK-do you happen to have a link??

Thanks
Mike

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3,560 of 8,735
Quote:
I agree with the glow.  My Japaneze original 6BZ7s had almost no glow.  Changed to the US 6BZ7s, and got the bright vivid glow I always dreamed of.   Moved to the mullards and was dissappointed by the pansy little heater glow.   LIstened to them, and stopped caring.  Quickly. :)

Well, it's not the tubes for me. It's the Lyr. My CCa's and multiple Lorenz don't glow "very" bright.
But hell, they sound amazing. I guess the heaters just vary from Lyr to Lyr. OR so Jason tells me.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,561 of 8,735
Quote:
Really-thank you IEM..

I dont expect to get anything to cool my monitor down,but maybe a slight improvement can be had, using the other type of tube cooler shown in HK's pictures..the Lry/bifrost is sitting directly in front of my monitor
If some reduction of heat is possible,I will use them
I'm trying to avoid the brass coolers from Brent Jesse, possibly causing damage to my tubes,or the inside of the Lyr.

HK-do you happen to have a link??

Thanks
Mike

These work well.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3,562 of 8,735
Yes,I did a google & found that link..
will give them a try...

Thank You ,Sir.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #3,563 of 8,735
Quote:
Yes,I did a google & found that link..
will give them a try...

Thank You ,Sir.

Also pretty sure that's what HK uses. Not brass but titanium. I really liked using them, until I didn't. haaha

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,564 of 8,735
When my lyr was vibrating/humming alot I went crazy at herbie's and got the feet, tube dampers, and dampers for the ICs and power cord. Don't think it sounds any different but it does hum loudly anymore

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3,565 of 8,735
Quote:
HK,

What is the other pair you have ...NOT the tubemongers,and,
Are you able to bend them slightly so,they will not slide down the tube..they look interesting & do they really keep the tube cooler??.
I could definetly use them is so,my desktop with amp,computer,dac,and wide panel NEC monitor gets pretty hot after a few hours...even withe the AC on high.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out running errands.  Those are [size=medium]UltraSonic Rx-9 Tube Dampers from Herbies Audio.[/size]

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

They're a tad expensive but (to me) well worth it.  The wire is supposed to be titanium and I will tell you, it is tough to bend but usually not necessary because the teflon (?) pad with the o-ring will hold firmly enough against your tube.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - They won't cool the tube (but they don't block circulation much either).  The are for damping microphonics, vibration, and noise.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3,566 of 8,735
Quote:
A friend of mine is a tube fiend and he strongly recommended that I get some contact cleaner or really fine steel wool to clean the pins.
Any opinions?

I asked that very question to the folks at Tubemonger.  They suggested not using steel wool because of any metallic residue that may fall into the sockets.  I have used contact cleaner and it works pretty good.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,567 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out running errands.  Those are [size=medium]UltraSonic Rx-9 Tube Dampers from Herbies Audio.[/size]

They're a tad expensive but (to me) well worth it.  The wire is supposed to be titanium and I will tell you, it is tough to bend but usually not necessary because the teflon (?) pad with the o-ring will hold firmly enough against your tube.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - They won't cool the tube (but they don't block circulation much either).  The are for damping microphonics, vibration, and noise.

HK-tnx for your reply,

Wasn't 100% sure as to which ones to order...now I know...

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #3,568 of 8,735
I'm willing to put up my Herbie's tube dampers (2) and Tenderfeet (4) for sale. PM me if interested.

Also, I'm selling a matched pair of Matsu****a National 6922 for $50 (originally from Tubemonger at $80), so please PM if interested.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,569 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, it's not the tubes for me. It's the Lyr. My CCa's and multiple Lorenz don't glow "very" bright.
But hell, they sound amazing. I guess the heaters just vary from Lyr to Lyr. OR so Jason tells me.

Maybe it's the Lyr's heater voltage (but then why would they be cautious about tubes with different voltages? :p ), but most of it is tubes.  The 6BZ7 from Japan barely glowed at all.  By contrast the USA 6BZ7s glowed like  Chernobyl at sunrise.  The Mullard 2492s glow as little as or less than the Japanese GEs.   Maybe Lyrs vary but mostly I think it's just the lements on various tube models.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,570 of 8,735
Quote:

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nifty stufff, and I get how they'd work for microphonics/viration damping.  But claims like "allows mustic to flow more freely makes me put anti-snake-oil goggles at the top of my "want" list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back