Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,616 of 8,735
So Jason,

Were finding these 6CG7s to sound pretty good in the Lyr.  Have you considered giving them a listen?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,617 of 8,735
Quote:
So Jason,

Were finding these 6CG7s to sound pretty good in the Lyr.  Have you considered giving them a listen?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yep, I have. Still not my favorite, but YMMV.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #3,618 of 8,735
      Quote:

Yep, I have. Still not my favorite, but YMMV.

True enough!  I really do have to thank you for making a fine piece of audio equipment that lets you try so many "out-of-the-box" options.  It's amazing we even have the chance to try differnet things like the PCC88s or 6CG7s.

Looking forward to the statement amp!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends  

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3,619 of 8,735
Quote:

No, I've done the opposite, paired O2 amp with Bifrost.  Sounds great (for an analytical SS amp.)  I really like the pair with my D5k.  But Lyr wins for everything else.

I suspect ODAC & Bifrost won't sound overwhelmingly different, but Bifrost is a lot prettier and, in my case, has S/PDIF which I positively needed.

Thanks mate.. I am trying to find a <800USD setup for my LCDs. And the ODAC is half the price of the Bifrost.. something for me to consider :)

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,620 of 8,735
Its hard to say judging from a small picture.

Is the seller listing them as ..Blackplates?

That being said..they look exactly like the pair I got yesterday..even the backround of the image is the same,from an e-bayer in Florida??
I would check with the seller,via e-mail..this way your covered by e-bay,if they are not??

I've checked with the seller, and they're infact grey plates, item #261010328659 if anyone cares.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,621 of 8,735
Quote:
Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got another question for you: are these Blackplates?

Those kind of look like them. But honestly it's too hard to tell from the pic. And I also don't' have the tubes sitting in front of me.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,622 of 8,735
I burned a pair of RCA clear tops for about 60 hours and gave them a listen on my HE-500's.  Bass extension is there but the recessed high end is a deal breaker for me.  Cymbals take it in the shorts and if you like "sparkle"  you aren't going to find it here.  Vocals are pushed back to the rear also.  So if you like upfront forward vocals you won't find that here either.  They definitely have their own sound signature many may enjoy but not my cup of tea.

Stri

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3,623 of 8,735
Quote:
I burned a pair of RCA clear tops for about 60 hours and gave them a listen on my HE-500's.  Bass extension is there but the recessed high end is a deal breaker for me.  Cymbals take it in the shorts and if you like "sparkle"  you aren't going to find it here.  Vocals are pushed back to the rear also.  So if you like upfront forward vocals you won't find that here either.  They definitely have their own sound signature many may enjoy but not my cup of tea.

Stri

Thanks your for you impressions, Stri. I had a feeling that may be the case with the clear tops. Then a buddy recommended the black plates might be better.
Pretty excited to see what the fuss is about.

Stri, what is your preferred tube?

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,624 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks your for you impressions, Stri. I had a feeling that may be the case with the clear tops. Then a buddy recommended the black plates might be better.
Pretty excited to see what the fuss is about.

Stri, what is your preferred tube?

I have a pair of Mullards I like lately that are just a 6dj8 I got from Brent Jesse.  But I really like my of Siemens PCC88's (Grays not Silvers) that Mr. Rogers sold me.  The Siemens have the soundstage and air without giving up any highs or mids.  Then there are always the Amperex Bugle Boys and other 6dj8s / 6922s that sound good to me.  I think there is something to the Lyr being designed around this family of tubes that make them a solid base for listening enjoyment.

Stri

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3,625 of 8,735
      Quote:

I have a pair of Mullards I like lately that are just a 6dj8 I got from Brent Jesse.  But I really like my of Siemens PCC88's (Grays not Silvers) that Mr. Rogers sold me.  The Siemens have the soundstage and air without giving up any highs or mids.  Then there are always the Amperex Bugle Boys and other 6dj8s / 6922s that sound good to me.  I think there is something to the Lyr being designed around this family of tubes that make them a solid base for listening enjoyment.

Stri

I could never figure out why, but the grey-plates always seem to sound better than the silver-plates...

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3,626 of 8,735
Quote:
      Quote:
I could never figure out why, but the grey-plates always seem to sound better than the silver-plates...

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Grey plates are grey colored because they've added some rare earth minerals, while silver plates are just bare silver plates (not really made of silver, just figurative way of saying) with little or no such minerals. Those vintage grey plate tubes were made back in the old days when those rare earth minerals supposedly weren't really rare, or maybe weren't considered to be rare or precious; but no tube company adds rare minerals nowadays because they're expensive. At least that's what Mr. Rogers told me.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3,627 of 8,735
Quote:
Grey plates are grey colored because they've added some rare earth minerals, while silver plates are just bare silver plates (not really made of silver, just figurative way of saying) with little or no such minerals. Those vintage grey plate tubes were made back in the old days when those rare earth minerals supposedly weren't really rare, or maybe weren't considered to be rare or precious; but no tube company adds rare minerals nowadays because they're expensive. At least that's what Mr. Rogers told me.

It sounds good to me!  (Of course, the pun was intended...
tongue.gif
)

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #3,628 of 8,735
Please guys, which are the most silent (pit-black, zero-grain, noise floor) tube pair for the Lyr in your opinion? Please, if you can post some easy-to-find tubes I'd be really glad (also, a link where I can find them for sale would be great). I'm really looking for the most silent pair of tubes for my Lyr I can buy!

Thanks so much for the help!!

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #3,629 of 8,735
For those following it, I did finally try the D5k on the Mullards, and, Lyr's still too noisy for them.  I hereby rescind my apology to Rope
biggrin.gif

It's not as bad as the GE's were in terms of noise with all kinds of spurring and whining and screeching like sound was "leaking" through tiny cracks while under extreme pressure.   But there's a slight background hum, and the whole thing is much more susceptible to noise from the Squeezebox's WiFi transmissions while other headphones don't pick up that noise, and the D5k doesn't pick it up from an SS amp.  So I still don't think Lyr and Dxxxx are a good match, though Rope can certainly disagree
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,630 of 8,735
Quote:
For those following it, I did finally try the D5k on the Mullards, and, Lyr's still too noisy for them.  I hereby rescind my apology to Rope
biggrin.gif

It's not as bad as the GE's were in terms of noise with all kinds of spurring and whining and screeching like sound was "leaking" through tiny cracks while under extreme pressure.   But there's a slight background hum, and the whole thing is much more susceptible to noise from the Squeezebox's WiFi transmissions while other headphones don't pick up that noise, and the D5k doesn't pick it up from an SS amp.  So I still don't think Lyr and Dxxxx are a good match, though Rope can certainly disagree
wink.gif

I have D5k's and not had any noise issues with any of the tubes I have used with the Lyr.  On some of the tubes like the RCA 6BQ7A's the D5K's get a little tubby sounding compared to my other tubes.  But that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back