Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jul 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2,371 of 2,392
Me too, paired my Lyr with K702's... Feeding it with a diet of vinyl. After a couple of days, the amp is settling in veeeerrryy nicely. It does add a hint of honey to brighter recordings, not a bad thing when a goodly portion of my vinyl are modern recordings. Soundstage is brought, and I think a good deal of resolution is added. I prefer this paired together then the Soloist, which I felt added a bit of a glassy harsh tone to the music I own. I'm happy (for now:wink:).. Oh, and Sonic Youth sounds AWESOME with this combo:)

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,372 of 2,392
Hi there, 
I am planning to purchase this amp with the schiit modi and then the bifrost when I have saved up enough. I am going to use this combination with the hifiman he-500. Do you think that this will be a good combination?

Also, in the future I would be looking to purchase the sennheiser hd600. Would this setup also sound good with the lyr?

Will the modi suffice as a good DAC for the time being before I purchase the Bifrost usb DAC?
Is the uber upgrade worth the extra money to buy already installed as you save about $30 compared with an later upgrade?

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,376 of 2,392
If I were to hook up my powered Monsoon MM-700 speakers to the Lyr preamp out, would the Lyr amp control the volume of the speakers? If so, should I be using it to control the speakers? And if so with that, do you just unplug your headphones so you aren't running the headphone drivers when you're wanting desktop speaker sound?

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,377 of 2,392
If I were to hook up my powered Monsoon MM-700 speakers to the Lyr preamp out, would the Lyr amp control the volume of the speakers? If so, should I be using it to control the speakers? And if so with that, do you just unplug your headphones so you aren't running the headphone drivers when you're wanting desktop speaker sound?

Anything?

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,378 of 2,392

So...

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,379 of 2,392
  If I were to hook up my powered Monsoon MM-700 speakers to the Lyr preamp out, would the Lyr amp control the volume of the speakers? -- Yes

If so, should I be using it to control the speakers? ---Yes

And if so with that, do you just unplug your headphones so you aren't running the headphone drivers when you're wanting desktop speaker sound? -- Yes

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2,383 of 2,392
Will the volume control work while the amp is turned off to save tube life? - No

Which is one of the main reasons I'm looking at a solid-state amp with preamp outs now.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,384 of 2,392
Finally I am in possession of Lyr (for the 2nd time ;] )

newest revision is "C revision" (don't know what are all the changes, for sure some transients protection when on/off)

(I had a Lyr in the past but needed to sell it - personal reasons)

Like in the past - Lyr out of the box sounded totally uninvolving and 2d + a bit muddy, losing a lot of details comparing to pure transistor amplifier (but I was familiar with this)

All it needed was a few sessions for about 5-6 hours to sound amazing, out of this world holography, bass, texture and harmonic informations, layering and separating, depth and width, saturation and punch = top notch

And short summary about the tubes:

I was shocked after trying 6n23p (russian rockets - rocket logo, even from 80s - great sound, bought matched pair of NOS for 10$, can't believe it - in my audio chain they sound very similar to very expensive siemens I tried once in the past)

6n23p tubes were the best (tried stock 6bz7, philips jan 6922, new EH6922, amperex buggle boy, 6n1p from Schiit - EH6922 were my favourite in the past - I tried to make Lyr detailed but kept smooth and relaxing sonic sound signature with great punch when needed)

6n23p is the most balanced, linear, detailed without being harsh (not losing so many musical informations like other tubes), emotionally engaging tube so far, the tubes needed only about 10hours to start singing and amaze me

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,385 of 2,392
Hi, this amp is on the way, will be powering my HD700 + LCD-3, 2 questions:

How would I be using it with speakers as a preamp? I've got the AudioEngine 5+ but I'm not familiar enough with the idea of preamps, if the speakers already have a volume knob, how would that work?

Since the Lyr has such a huge amount of power, would it be a good idea to try some custom cable, headphone out to speaker wire? :p

I'm still taking some of your comments with a grain of salt, you say that LCD-3 with them is "meh" but I'm thinking this sounds wrong, with that amount of power... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back