Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,356 of 2,392
Hi guys,

Probably not the usual question you get regarding the Lyr but can I ask how hot to the touch the tubes / amp gets? I'm very close to taking the plunge but we have a rather adventurous 2 year old who has an amazing knack of getting into things kept well out of his reach so safety is a concern
biggrin.gif

Also can I ask are there any downsides to using tube savers? They seem a good idea in terms of temps and ease of access.

Cheers,
jello

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,357 of 2,392
I'm new to the Lyr but here are my impressions so far.  This is in a fairly cool room (lower level man cave) 
biggrin.gif
.  The tube side of the amp gets the warmest.  It's hot on the bottom of the tube side.  I'm not willing to touch the tubes, I'm sure they are fairly hot.  The rest of the amp is just warm.  I would not advise having children around it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,358 of 2,392
Thanks Tuco. I really appreciate the quick reply - that's very helpful!

I plan on using the amp on a computer desk but I'm always amazed at how quickly a toddler can move when you turn your back and strategically manoeuvre a chair to get to 'higher ground'. I tend to do most of my listening after he's in bed so not a huge issue but will perhaps keep a hold of my O2 for the odd bit of daytime listening (it's most likely a better match for my Denon D2000's & GM8.35D's anyway as they're low impedance)
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers again.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,360 of 2,392
If you are concerned about the heat you should look at getting a set of 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes as they run cooler as well as sound great. Whole using socket savers will reduce the case temp they will raise the tubes to the point where they become the greater hazard. Without them the tubes can only be touched on their tops versus grabbed.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,361 of 2,392
Quote:
If you are concerned about the heat you should look at getting a set of 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes as they run cooler as well as sound great. Whole using socket savers will reduce the case temp they will raise the tubes to the point where they become the greater hazard. Without them the tubes can only be touched on their tops versus grabbed.

Thanks for that. I'll look into the tubes you mentioned.

Whilst I intend to keep the amp well out of harm's way it's always best to err on the side of caution. Whilst I'd thought about socket savers potentially putting the tubes at increased risk of taking a knock etc. I hadn't considered the grabbing angle, so appreciate you mentioning it!

May 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #2,362 of 2,392
What are your thoughts on the need for warranty for a Lyr?

I might buy used but I will have no warranty. Essentially a new Lyr vs used will be roughly $170-$200 difference.

Is the 5 year warranty worth the price difference? Have there been many repairs needed by current Lyr users? Thanks!

May 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,363 of 2,392
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the need for warranty for a Lyr?

I might buy used but I will have no warranty. Essentially a new Lyr vs used will be roughly $170-$200 difference.

Is the 5 year warranty worth the price difference? Have there been many repairs needed by current Lyr users? Thanks!

I believe that the warranty is transferable if you can get a copy of the original invoice.  I would email the folks at Schiit to confirm.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2,364 of 2,392
Quote:
I believe that the warranty is transferable if you can get a copy of the original invoice.  I would email the folks at Schiit to confirm.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Warranty is only for the original owner. Already emailed Schiit. Kind of lame but seems like standard practice to discourage buying used.

Thanks though
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,366 of 2,392
I turned on my beloved Lyr yesterday night. Didn't use it for the last few month as I have been spending time with JH16. It is good amp for it's price range. I removed the original power cable from Lyr and replaced it with Kimber PK10 Gold power cable (which I have been using my speaker amp). I removed the Better Cables RCA Silver Serpent interconnect cable between Lyr and Bifrost and replaced it with Kimber Hero with WBT-0102Cu interconnect. Overkill? Yes. Definitely overkill. I let Lyr warm up for an hour. The power cable and interconnect cable have already break-in with more 200 hours on them. Sound quality? Slight improvement to the sound. Slight extended bass. Slight smoother high. It is worth it to use/upgrade to high end power cable and interconnect? No. The improvement given by high end power cable and interconnect are more pronounce on speaker system.

I posted an ad to sell my Lyr yesterday morning and it was sold within minutes the ad went up. I listened to Lyr with HD650 for one last time yesterday night. Boxed it up, throw in a pair of NOVIB Socket Saver (no charge to the buyer) and extra tubes (no charge to the buyer) and going to ship out to the buyer this morning. Farewell Lyr. I am sure your new owner will cherish you.

EDIT: Another reason why I am selling it because I am moving to another country which uses 220V. This unit uses 110V.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,367 of 2,392

another case of schiit lyr overkill. power cable is kyj audio, rca cable are bis audio maestro cables and tubes are mullard e88cc pinched waist white label d getter Heerlen Holland gold pins 1956.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,369 of 2,392
just got my Lyr an hour ago (stock tubes) 

first impression is it sounds very bright and sibilant in the vocals/high trebles - but with the HD800's they sound more fuller and a bigger soundstage than my other amps - maybe something to do with the extra power (volume is at halfway and its just right)

im quite excited to let it burn in and try some tube rolling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back