Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jul 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2,311 of 2,392
Well I received the T1's today, so the HD650's are taking a break.  I'm surprised to find that I'im not really enjoying the T1's with the Lyr as much as the HD650s.  T1's sound a bit edgy to my ears.  They definitely have much greater detail retrieval than the 650's, and have a greater dynamic range (which is probably being helped a lot by the Lyr), but the 650's just have a certain magic to them.  I can listen to them and forget I even have headphones on, or I can focus in and hear good detail.  I feel like the T1's are throwing the detail at my ears a little too hard.  These are loaner cans, so maybe they aren't fully burned in yet.  Either way, I have a feeling I won't be pursuing a purchase of the T1's.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2,312 of 2,392
Quote:
Well I received the T1's today, so the HD650's are taking a break.  I'm surprised to find that I'im not really enjoying the T1's with the Lyr as much as the HD650s.  T1's sound a bit edgy to my ears.  They definitely have much greater detail retrieval than the 650's, and have a greater dynamic range (which is probably being helped a lot by the Lyr), but the 650's just have a certain magic to them.  I can listen to them and forget I even have headphones on, or I can focus in and hear good detail.  I feel like the T1's are throwing the detail at my ears a little too hard.  These are loaner cans, so maybe they aren't fully burned in yet.  Either way, I have a feeling I won't be pursuing a purchase of the T1's.

Yeah, the Lyr/T1 match was only ok, not great. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,313 of 2,392
HD650 sound great with Bifrost and Lyr but sometimes I want to play the music loud while I do something around my room. So I dig out this 10 years old Sony DAV-C770 5.1 Home Theatre system. Connect Bifrost and Lyr to it (see my setup below). I was surprised that it actually sounds quite good. The bottleneck here is the old Sony speakers. Can’t wait to upgrade to bookshelf speakers or active speakers. I am glad I can use the Bifrost and Lyr with a/v receiver or power amplifier for speakers. I don’t have to buy a separate DAC or preamp.

Laptop (flac) -> USB -> Bifrost -> Lyr (preamp out) -> Sony DAV-C770 -> 3 (Right, Center, Left) speakers & 1 subwoofer (3.1)

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,314 of 2,392
Why are your tubes in the Lyr sitting so high? I assume this is something you have done to make swapping tubes easier?

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,315 of 2,392
Quote:
Why are your tubes in the Lyr sitting so high? I assume this is something you have done to make swapping tubes easier?

Ya, whats up with that? Are you running 6n6p's?

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,318 of 2,392
Quote:
Add me as a third with the DLIII and Lyr, if just temporary.  The DLIII is part of my main a/v system (and far too big for my desk)  so I've got an rDAC coming in.  Anyway, it's an awesome combo.  Hope the rDAC (heard/read the USB implementation is awesome) is a good alternative.
Anyway, loving the Lyr with the HD700 and HE400.

Hi,

How does LYR work with DLIII???

I just bought HE-500 and LYR, and am looking for a DAC.

I'd like to buy bifrost, but now it's not available, and i just found used DLIII. It looks good, but only one thing i concern is DLIII only supports 24/96 with usb.

but, I think 24/96 is enough for me. so, will LYR + HE-500 + DLIII be good combo???

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,319 of 2,392
It's an awesome combo!  Before I got my BiFrost, I used my DLIII with it (it's par of my main AV system).  Went with the Bifrost for looks, space (stacks nicely) and of course, the sound.  I think I actually preferred the sound of the DLIII.  You should be quite happy with it.
BTW, there's a picture of the DLIII/BiFrost combo in my gallery.
Quote:
Hi,

I'd like to buy bifrost, but now it's not available, and i just found used DLIII. It looks good, but only one thing i concern is DLIII only supports 24/96 with usb.

but, I think 24/96 is enough for me. so, will LYR + HE-500 + DLIII be good combo???

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,320 of 2,392
Quote:
Hi,

The DL III does *not* support 24/96 over USB.  The max is 16/48 I believe.  

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,321 of 2,392
Technicalities aside, it's an awesome dac! Even the newer Rega DAC is limited in its USB. There's alway optical or coax if hi-rez 24/96 files are that important.
Personally, I'll take the great sound over the specs.  On the other hand, the BiFrost has both
wink_face.gif
 great sound and 24/192. While the BiFrost is pretty neutral, the DLIII is warmer, and has a little more in the bottom end.  I own and like them both.

Quote:
The DL III does *not* support 24/96 over USB.  The max is 16/48 I believe.  

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2,322 of 2,392
Quote:
Technicalities aside, it's an awesome dac! Even the newer Rega DAC is limited in its USB. There's alway optical or coax if hi-rez 24/96 files are that important.
Personally, I'll take the great sound over the specs.  On the other hand, the BiFrost has both
wink_face.gif
 great sound and 24/192. While the BiFrost is pretty neutral, the DLIII is warmer, and has a little more in the bottom end.  I own and like them both.

Yep, I agree.  I have the DL III and I use the optical out from my MacBook Pro to do high-res stuff.  Supposedly the USB implementation in the DL III is from a time when most of them were fairly flawed.  Honestly, I could never tell much of a difference between the USB and Optical/Coax outputs.  I upgraded from a Dac Magic to the DL III, and to my ears, the DL III blew it away.  That was about 3 years ago, and I still love my DL III, and have absolutely no thoughts of upgrading anytime soon.   If you start comparing a lot of DACs in the ~$1000 price range, you will start to find that they are all VERY similar.  I think out of all electronics, DACs make the least difference from one to the next as far as sound quality.  Once you move up from the bottom of the barrel DACs, they all are extremely similar sounding, unless you go for drastic design differences (solid state versus tube output stage).

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,323 of 2,392
Quote:
Yep, I agree.  I have the DL III and I use the optical out from my MacBook Pro to do high-res stuff.  Supposedly the USB implementation in the DL III is from a time when most of them were fairly flawed.  Honestly, I could never tell much of a difference between the USB and Optical/Coax outputs.  I upgraded from a Dac Magic to the DL III, and to my ears, the DL III blew it away.  That was about 3 years ago, and I still love my DL III, and have absolutely no thoughts of upgrading anytime soon.   If you start comparing a lot of DACs in the ~$1000 price range, you will start to find that they are all VERY similar.  I think out of all electronics, DACs make the least difference from one to the next as far as sound quality.  Once you move up from the bottom of the barrel DACs, they all are extremely similar sounding, unless you go for drastic design differences (solid state versus tube output stage).

Bifrost is $450 with usb, and DLIII is $500 new one, and used one is around $400. As you know, DLIII usb isn't as good as Bifrost usb. The problem is my computer doesn't have SPDIF output, so i have to buy sound card if i'd get DLIII. Setting DLIII with sound card should support SPDIF is better sound than Bifrost???  Choosing DAC drives me crazy!!!!

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,324 of 2,392
Quote:
Bifrost is $450 with usb, and DLIII is $500 new one, and used one is around $400. As you know, DLIII usb isn't as good as Bifrost usb. The problem is my computer doesn't have SPDIF output, so i have to buy sound card if i'd get DLIII. Setting DLIII with sound card should support SPDIF is better sound than Bifrost???  Choosing DAC drives me crazy!!!!

I guess it all comes down to how much you plan to listen to high-res audio.  I haven't heard the Bifrost, so I can't comment as to how the two DACs compare.  But if you do have a lot of high-res files, it may make more sense for you to go with the Bifrost.  MickeyVee would be the best person here to give you a more detailed comparison on the sound (if it's even possible to hear one, because as I said, in my experience, it can sometimes be very hard to hear differences between dacs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back