Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Feb 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2,146 of 2,392
Sorry, Lyr is gone.  Maybe the Lyr sounds better as a pre-amp to a power amp but as a pre-amp to active monitors it is not the way to go.  Eventually I found the Swans to be better without the Lyr as a pre-amp but maybe you can play around with your source levels to get the least static from your Swans.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/12.html
"
As quiet as the Lyr was on headphones, it now exhibited PSU noise. Its already high output signal was further amplified by a 
completely unattenuated
 Ampino (volume control fully opened to be bypassed). Lyr noise disappeared when the amp's control was closed by half to sit at 12:00. Given that the Lyr's core equation of 50:50 valve/transistor aspects was shifted to get sandier by 75% if not more, it was reasonable to expect lesser 'tube goodness' enhancements. And so it was. Very much to its credit if neutrality was a core design consideration, lyrification of the signal path produced only modest differences. Bass mass and heft built out, overall weightiness increased. On the flip side transparency, subjective speed, separation of tight weaves and transient sharpness diminished. Both flip and flop were surprisingly mellow, give and take balanced to not make this a clear-cut step upward but more a lateral move into a different flavor."

Quote:
@WNBC,

would appreciate if you could hookup yr Swan M200 to test. - if static noise is present , then power off and plug in a headphone..

the static noise should goes away if this is the cause, just ;like mine...

Without the pre-amp is a deal breaker for me...

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,147 of 2,392
Just got the package today, and it is burning in now with stock 6BZ7s. HD650s are plugged in and ready to go.

At first, I was thinking, why is it so gritty?. Then I remembered I EQ'd the treble up some in foobar yesterday, so I quickly turned it off. But immediately before I'd realize the grittiness due to my error, the first thing that stood out was soundstage! Bigger for sure. 

My DAC right now is the uDac-2, which I'd only recently discovered was very useless with volume from 1 o'clock up. So I can't max out the pot on the uDac-2, which is why I'm running the Lyr higher than most (around 10, sometimes 11 or 12 for the quieter stuff). Once I save up for the Bifrost, I expect to stay around the 9 o'clock area.

Will post most later on as it settles.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2,148 of 2,392
I have posted some notes regarding my experience with various tubes on the Lyr driving my LCD-3, from Amperex, Siemens, Valvo, Telefunken, and Mullard.

Check it out here if you are interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/2655#post_8130742

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,149 of 2,392
The tube rolling thread is crazy good.. I'm planing on getting the Lyr in the spring and after following the tube thread, I ended up picking up a pair of Lorenz PCC88's (i think) as everyone was gaga over them and there where 4 left when I ordered. So sad.. have the tubes, phones and DAC but the Lyr will have to wait for another month or two.  In the mean time, enjoying the read.. seems like most a pretty impressed with it.

Quote:
I have posted some notes regarding my experience with various tubes on the Lyr driving my LCD-3, from Amperex, Siemens, Valvo, Telefunken, and Mullard.

Check it out here if you are interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/2655#post_8130742

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2,150 of 2,392
Can someone post a few pictures of the Schiit Lyr in hi-def resolution, please. I look at the Schiit Lyr on the classified ads and most of them have some kind of nasty, uneven brushing silver aluminum.

I t haven't  received the Lyr so I will take the reviewers' word for it until I have it in my system. My dedicated cans is the AKG 702 and as I have read the Lyr is also a compliment to the AKG 702.

I am kind of guy who likes everything looks nice and professional. The E7/E9 while made in China but the aluminum casings are done properly and they look very nice. I am nervous about receiving the Schiit Lyr and the casing will be looking like these:

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #2,151 of 2,392

Quote:
Can someone post a few pictures of the Schiit Lyr in hi-def resolution, please. I look at the Schiit Lyr on the classified ads and most of them have some kind of nasty, uneven brushing silver aluminum.

I t haven't  received the Lyr so I will take the reviewers' word for it until I have it in my system. My dedicated cans is the AKG 702 and as I have read the Lyr is also a compliment to the AKG 702.

I am kind of guy who likes everything looks nice and professional. The E7/E9 while made in China but the aluminum casings are done properly and they look very nice. I am nervous about receiving the Schiit Lyr and the casing will be looking like these:

I've had the Lyr for nearly a week now, and it came in pristine condition. The pictures you've posted look like those units have fingerprints and scratches. When shipped, the amp comes in a plastic sealed bag (like the ones that new TV remote controls are packaged in), so it's protected from cosmetic damage in transit. Forgive the rather heavily fingerprinted table and scruffy looking phone.

The brushed aluminum is pretty even, although the right side of my unit has deeper grooves.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,152 of 2,392
Thank you for taking the time to reply my post. It's a nice looking Schiit indeed. Electronic gear gives us so many moment of enjoyment that she needs to be pampered and treated with pride.

I am waiting and hopefully will be the proud owner of the new Lyr.

Happy listening. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #2,154 of 2,392
Just snatched koonhua90's Lyr.  Still en route to me.  Also a LCD-2.2.  And got a order for a Eximus DP-1 dac, ohh boy this time upgradities got the best of me.
atsmile.gif

Letting go my EE Minmax dac and Bottlehead Crack wasnt easy.  I just hope the DP-1 is all they say it is. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #2,155 of 2,392

Quote:

Aluminum is aluminum and tends to hold its finger oils well...if I shine a high intensity flashlight at mine I can see lots of patches of finger smudging from handling.  If I don't shine a high intensity light at it, it's just fine.  It looks pretty slick atop Bifrost, too!  Under the high intensity light, there may be a slightly different hue to the aluminum of both...the bifrost may have a more "champaigne' thread running through the coloring for a bit darker a look.  I don't notice it under standard light, but if you're going to highlight your stack with halogen or high intensity LED, it's something to keep in mind
dt880smile.png
  Aluminum, being effectively a natural product like wood, is susceptible to natural variations if it's not finished/anodized.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,157 of 2,392
Mine left Schiit on thursday. Since I live in Europe I guess I still have a week or two to before it gets here.... Can't wait.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #2,158 of 2,392

Quote:
Just snatched koonhua90's Lyr.  Still en route to me.  Also a LCD-2.2.  And got a order for a Eximus DP-1 dac, ohh boy this time upgradities got the best of me.
atsmile.gif

Letting go my EE Minmax dac and Bottlehead Crack wasnt easy.  I just hope the DP-1 is all they say it is. 

Mmmm.  Nice rig.  You will love that.  Let us know what you think of it when it comes in if you can.  Cheers

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,159 of 2,392
Will this amp do for the q701's andt dt 990's(600). I posted on the wrong thread before.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2,160 of 2,392

Users who are viewing this thread

Back