Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Oct 28, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #2,026 of 2,392

Quote:
i did. in both slots too and i confirmed its the tubes. Stil kept them for soem reason. maybe by some magical force of nature they wont hiss next time butt hey ain exactly pricey anyway. i don suppose we get refunds or get a free exchange if we receive hissy tubes from schiit? XD

Try putting them in the freezer. Maybe a cryo treatment will heal them
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, some tubes are just not as good as others. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2,027 of 2,392

Quote:
i did. in both slots too and i confirmed its the tubes. Stil kept them for soem reason. maybe by some magical force of nature they wont hiss next time butt hey ain exactly pricey anyway. i don suppose we get refunds or get a free exchange if we receive hissy tubes from schiit? XD

I ordered a pair of GE tubes from Schiit that turned out to be microphonic. They exchanged them for a new set with absolutely no hassle. Their customer service really is great.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #2,028 of 2,392
Heya,

I've had my Lyr for about two weeks now and I noticed two issues:

1) I will turn the unit on, let it sit for 10-15 minutes (or listen to music, both apply). At around 10 minutes it will start buzzing, VERY loudly and when I wiggle the AC power cord the buzzing stops if I push the AC cord very firmly into the amp and hold it steady. If I let it go, it buzzes again. I tried different AC cords which looked to have thicker/thinner ends and all of them buzz. However, after an additional 5-10 minutes the buzz will go away entirely and never return until I start the amp up a few hours later.

2) I will randomly get a "buzz" through my headphones- how does it sound? If you've ever heard of that weird buzz through your car stereo just before a cellphone call comes in- that's the exact sound I hear. It's random. I'm not sure if the tubes are microphonic and picking up GSM cellphone transmissions near by (I live in an apartment block)? 

Any suggestions? These aren't "make it or break it" issues- I'd hate to ship the Lyr back to the US and not see it for 4-6 weeks, so if possible I'd like to address the problem locally.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #2,029 of 2,392
I had the exact same issue regarding the buzz except movign the ac cord around didnt do much. solved by swapping out tubes. give it a try.

Quote:
Heya,

I've had my Lyr for about two weeks now and I noticed two issues:

1) I will turn the unit on, let it sit for 10-15 minutes (or listen to music, both apply). At around 10 minutes it will start buzzing, VERY loudly and when I wiggle the AC power cord the buzzing stops if I push the AC cord very firmly into the amp and hold it steady. If I let it go, it buzzes again. I tried different AC cords which looked to have thicker/thinner ends and all of them buzz. However, after an additional 5-10 minutes the buzz will go away entirely and never return until I start the amp up a few hours later.

2) I will randomly get a "buzz" through my headphones- how does it sound? If you've ever heard of that weird buzz through your car stereo just before a cellphone call comes in- that's the exact sound I hear. It's random. I'm not sure if the tubes are microphonic and picking up GSM cellphone transmissions near by (I live in an apartment block)? 

Any suggestions? These aren't "make it or break it" issues- I'd hate to ship the Lyr back to the US and not see it for 4-6 weeks, so if possible I'd like to address the problem locally.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2,030 of 2,392
I just ordered one today with the 6BZ7 tube set plus a 6N1P set, since I didn't get to hear the amp at RMAF. My curiosity got the better of me and I really want to hear what sort of difference the power output makes for the LCD-2 r2 and upcoming LCD-3. I blame those guys at Schiit for making the amp too affordable.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,031 of 2,392
Got the amp in today and set it up with the 6BZ7 tubes. Initial impression: between it and the HeadAmp GS-X in balanced mode (via Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 XLR on the LCD-2 r2), I'm not sure which amp is better - which is probably saying a lot for the Lyr, considering the price difference between the amps. In fact the only thing I've been able to discern so far is that the Lyr has more mid-bass - as in, more impact/punch.

I actually thought there'd be more of a difference considering the Lyr has triple the output power of the GS-X in balanced mode, so not sure what to make of this yet. Will have to do more listening....

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2,032 of 2,392
popcorn.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,033 of 2,392
Quote:
Got the amp in today and set it up with the 6BZ7 tubes. Initial impression: between it and the HeadAmp GS-X in balanced mode (via Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 XLR on the LCD-2 r2), I'm not sure which amp is better - which is probably saying a lot for the Lyr, considering the price difference between the amps. In fact the only thing I've been able to discern so far is that the Lyr has more mid-bass - as in, more impact/punch.

I actually thought there'd be more of a difference considering the Lyr has triple the output power of the GS-X in balanced mode, so not sure what to make of this yet. Will have to do more listening....

Looking forward to hearing more on this comparison from you.

Also, another thing to consider (albeit a potentially expensive option) is to try some tube-rolling.  When I first got my Lyr, I figured a tube swap would only produce subtle changes.  Boy was I wrong.  If you can get your hands on a pair of Lorenz PCC88 triple mica (used to be ~$70 per tube on Tubemonger, but sold out quickly), you might be quite impressed with the results.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2,034 of 2,392
Yup, you don't have to spend a lot but rolling can make little to huge difference.  The triple mica and Siemens CCa have made it hard to go back and listen to other tubes.  I rolled some old favorites last week, the GE 6BZ7 and IEC Mullards, and I ended up running back to the Siemens.  Not that the other ones were bad but there is transparency, clarity, detail and soundstage that cannot be matched by the other tubes in my inventory and I did try a lot before settling down.  With that there comes a price.  Thanks to MrScary I was able to get a great used pair at a discount but I definitely understand the hesitation to pay full market price.  Hesitation should not replaced by doubt because until one has heard the Lorenz or Siemens CCa one doesn't know about the advantages these tubes offer.  I haven't felt the need to roll in a while, aside from the Lorenz suggestions, because to get much better than what I have I'll need to pay a lot.  

Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to hearing more on this comparison from you.

Also, another thing to consider (albeit a potentially expensive option) is to try some tube-rolling.  When I first got my Lyr, I figured a tube swap would only produce subtle changes.  Boy was I wrong.  If you can get your hands on a pair of Lorenz PCC88 triple mica (used to be ~$70 per tube on Tubemonger, but sold out quickly), you might be quite impressed with the results.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,035 of 2,392

Quote:
Yup, you don't have to spend a lot but rolling can make little to huge difference.  The triple mica and Siemens CCa have made it hard to go back and listen to other tubes.  I rolled some old favorites last week, the GE 6BZ7 and IEC Mullards, and I ended up running back to the Siemens.  Not that the other ones were bad but there is transparency, clarity, detail and soundstage that cannot be matched by the other tubes in my inventory and I did try a lot before settling down.  With that there comes a price.  Thanks to MrScary I was able to get a great used pair at a discount but I definitely understand the hesitation to pay full market price.  Hesitation should not replaced by doubt because until one has heard the Lorenz or Siemens CCa one doesn't know about the advantages these tubes offer.  I haven't felt the need to roll in a while, aside from the Lorenz suggestions, because to get much better than what I have I'll need to pay a lot.  

Very well said my friend I agree 100% I'm back to running the CCa's for awhile and the Lyr is just singing :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2,037 of 2,392
Hey Guy. There's a number of Siemens & Halske Gray Shields on Ebay right now. For the most part, that's going to be your source. Expect to pay $300+ for a pair of 'Gray Shields'. I keep stressing that, because the older late 50's - 60's gray shield 'D' and 'O' getters are generally considered the best sonically. Some (MrScary) believe the 'Chrome' shield models (late 60's I believe) sound the same - though I hear slightly less dimensionality. Good luck on the hunt! Wait till you want to track down early Lorenz Stuttgart tubes - they make the S&H CCa grays seem abundant. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'm new at this tube rolling thing. Do you have a link where I can purchase a pair of  Siemens CCa?

Thank you,
Guy

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2,038 of 2,392

Quote:
Hey Guy. There's a number of Siemens & Halske Gray Shields on Ebay right now. For the most part, that's going to be your source. Expect to pay $300+ for a pair of 'Gray Shields'. I keep stressing that, because the older late 50's - 60's gray shield 'D' and 'O' getters are generally considered the best sonically. Some (MrScary) believe the 'Chrome' shield models (late 60's I believe) sound the same - though I hear slightly less dimensionality. Good luck on the hunt! Wait till you want to track down early Lorenz Stuttgart tubes - they make the S&H CCa grays seem abundant. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out on Ebay.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #2,039 of 2,392
[size=11.0pt]I've had my Lyr for a week and a half and I'm very happy with the sound. My HD580 are now my favorite phones while prior to getting the Lyr I did not enjoy them very much on my Head-Direct EF1. The only negative so far has been a slight "buzzing" noise coming, I assume, from the power supply. The noise is not coming through the headphone so it's not impacting the sound but it is bothering my wife since my set-up is in the bedroom. The noise is there even if I remove the tubes. Does anyone else's Lyr have a "buzzing" noise also?[/size]

Guy

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,040 of 2,392

Quote:
[size=11.0pt]I've had my Lyr for a week and a half and I'm very happy with the sound. My HD580 are now my favorite phones while prior to getting the Lyr I did not enjoy them very much on my Head-Direct EF1. The only negative so far has been a slight "buzzing" noise coming, I assume, from the power supply. The noise is not coming through the headphone so it's not impacting the sound but it is bothering my wife since my set-up is in the bedroom. The noise is there even if I remove the tubes. Does anyone else's Lyr have a "buzzing" noise also?[/size]

Guy

Just out of curiousity, did you place any "feet" of any type on the bottom of your Lyr or is the chasis sitting directly on shelf or rack you've placed it on ? Transformers will buzz if placed on a solid surface, raising the amp off of the surface allows the vibration to dissapate enough that you should'nt hear it from a few feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back