Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #631 of 2,392
On the subject of Blue Jeans Cable - and this is not off topic - I run an Apogee Duet DAC and if you email them they'll make you a custom VGA to RCA cable so you can plug it into all kinds of Schiit without using the medusa dongle with it's hair thin wires and adapters to go from phono plug to RCA. Only about $50 and it made a big diff with the Lyr in my rig. Not a huge believer in spending bucks on cables either (Monoprice premiums are stiff cuz they're coax but they sound as good as anything I've ever heard, never have noise problems with them.) but when using the Apogee just for critical listening you really do need something simpler, shorter, and terminating in RCAs. Big plus is you still have the medusa dongle for when you're recording your own music.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #632 of 2,392
When is the loaner supposed to reach skylab for review ?

Now that my HE6 order has been canceled after 3 months of my payment. ( YEAH head-direct and Their Indian Network sucks ( in terms of customer care and commitment! )
I will buy the HE6 AFTER i decide an amp for it.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #633 of 2,392

Quote:

I see where there have been a few issues with the GL tubes. Odd, I hope it isn't a trend as I have never read anything but good news about the tube. I will say though that there isn't a tube I have had that a few might pop up that would be noisy. That is part of the grading of a tube. I have some SQ Amperex that are very quiet but then they are graded tubes. 

I was one of the people that posted about problems with GL.  I ordered matched pairs and one of mine had a very, very obvious low level hiss.  Moderate volume music overtook it but it was definitely there during quieter passages.

Vendor shipped me a new one it arrived today and the hissing is gone.  I'm going to just chalk it up to a bad tube and get these bad boys burned in.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #634 of 2,392

Quote:
 I have a question. What cables are you guys using when connecting the Lyr to your dac? Do you guys use the rca's that came with the Lyr or did you guys upgrade? I'm not trying to start a war on the philosophy of whether premium cables actually offer better SQ, just trying to see what you guys are using. Thanks.

I run BlueJeans everywhere I care and whatever I find in my epic-box-o-cables where I don't.

Lyrs ships with passable monoprice.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #635 of 2,392
oh my. I CANNOT wait for my Lyr to arrive.

I just got my HE5 used (the original, not LE) and it sounds magical through my Darkvoice 336SE. The highs and mids are superlative, although i could use abit more bass impact. I get none of the harsh highs that the HE5 are known for (infact they're smoother than my T1s).

They highs are just so sweet. Not sibilant, nor hot. It sparkles beautifully. The soundstage is slightly wider than the T1 although not as tall and has slightly less depth and focus than the T1s. But they're one pair of uncomfortable headphones though. (Perhaps my noggin is too small?)

If the Lyr provides more grip and bass slam then i'll be a very, very happy camper. Slap in a pair of warm, liquid tubes with abit of a mid-bass hump and boy i'm sure i'd be set for quite a long time to come.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #636 of 2,392

Quote:
When is the loaner supposed to reach skylab for review ?

As of right now, I have not been informed as to when I will get it.  I wouldn't wait around.  Seems from all the user reviews that it's pretty darned good for the money. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #637 of 2,392
For the last three hours I have had a set of 6N1P tubes in the Lyr.  I really only put them in as I was a little bored and the Lyr was still cool.  The tubes have come from Jason @Schiit and I am guessing that they are the standard issue Valhalla tubes.  But whatever they are, they are now my favourite tubes for the Lyr and my HE6's. 

The stock tubes have great bass but lacked some mid range detail and some top end air.  I then tried a set of Gold lion ECC88's and they lifted the mids and the top end but they seemed to hide the bass slightly compared to the stock tubes.  I put this down to the mids standing taller rather than a loss of bottom end. 

Tonight I have tried the 6N1P tubes and IMO they suit the HE6 because they have wonderfully full bass with great texture and detail but now also have the mid and especially high end detail, sparkle and air that I had been looking for.  To me they have lifted the veil now so that the sound sounds like it is right there with me rather than slightly distant with the prior tube combinations.

Schitt sells the matched Valhalla tube sets for $40 so I would expect that a set of matched 6N1P tubes for the Lyr would be less than this.  For the difference that they have made to my listening....I say that they are as much of a bargain as the Lyr itself.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #639 of 2,392
I am not really sure as the tubes are still too hot to pull but looking into the case I can see a diamond logo with something inside it.  I can also see a letter K before the diamond logo.  I read that all 6N1P tubes are made in the Voskhod factory regardless of what brand they eventually wear.

Jason will be able to confirm exactly what they are.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #641 of 2,392

Quote:
For the last three hours I have had a set of 6N1P tubes in the Lyr.  I really only put them in as I was a little bored and the Lyr was still cool.  The tubes have come from Jason @Schiit and I am guessing that they are the standard issue Valhalla tubes.  But whatever they are, they are now my favourite tubes for the Lyr and my HE6's. 

The stock tubes have great bass but lacked some mid range detail and some top end air.  I then tried a set of Gold lion ECC88's and they lifted the mids and the top end but they seemed to hide the bass slightly compared to the stock tubes.  I put this down to the mids standing taller rather than a loss of bottom end. 

Tonight I have tried the 6N1P tubes and IMO they suit the HE6 because they have wonderfully full bass with great texture and detail but now also have the mid and especially high end detail, sparkle and air that I had been looking for.  To me they have lifted the veil now so that the sound sounds like it is right there with me rather than slightly distant with the prior tube combinations.

Schitt sells the matched Valhalla tube sets for $40 so I would expect that a set of matched 6N1P tubes for the Lyr would be less than this.  For the difference that they have made to my listening....I say that they are as much of a bargain as the Lyr itself.

Can you please check and see what type of tubes they are Jason is out at Schiit till the 13th

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #642 of 2,392
Interested in the tubes as well, as it sounds like what I'm looking for with the Lyr.

Can anyone confirm that its perhaps the stock tubes adding the noise/hum, and a different pair might remove this?

I wonder if Schiit will take back just the faulty tubes and replace them if that's the case.

I have recently put in an order for the HE-4. :)

If anyone has a spare loaner DAC on the neutral to bright side (perhaps a UDAC2) that they'd be willing to let me borrow until Schiit brings out their DAC, I'd be willing to pay for the shiiping both ways. I wanna see what a non-warm DAC would do with the Lyr but don't wanna splurge on it since I know the Schiit DAC is soon to come.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #643 of 2,392
Thanks, Kremer930. This is great! I just received Lyr, and my initial impression of the stock tubes is exactly the same as what you described. I really don't want to spend another 100 bucks to get the Gold Lion, because one of the best things about Lyr is the price. :) It would be great if the 6N1P you tried is indeed Valhalla's 6N1P, and hopefully Schiit will start sell just a set of that for less than $40.

Mad Lust Envy, just let you know my Lyr is dead silent with HE-4.

Quote:

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #644 of 2,392
Actually this is what Jason's take on Valhalla's 6N1P with Lyr from 6moons' interview. Kremer930, did you noticed any "closed in" compare to the JJ tubes?

"The 6N1P of the Valhalla is a bit fatter but sounds more closed in and runs hotter"

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #645 of 2,392

Quote:
Actually this is what Jason's take on Valhalla's 6N1P with Lyr from 6moons' interview. Kremer930, did you noticed any "closed in" compare to the JJ tubes?

"The 6N1P of the Valhalla is a bit fatter but sounds more closed in and runs hotter"

There are different versions of the 6N1P and they do sound different. Yes the 6N1P will run hotter as it draws twice the current for the heater as a 6DJ8 type. There is also the 6N23P Russian tube that is a direct replacement for the 6DJ8 types, and it can sound very good. I have some Amperex 6DJ8's that are rebranded 6N23P and they are the best sounding of my 150+ NOS 6DJ8 types but I have no idea the Russian manufacture of this particular tube or the vintage. I am glad that I picked up about 20 of these as I have never run across them again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back